Harsh Times - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Harsh Times Reviews

October 16, 2017
A Good movie with Great Performances and Uncanny performance from Bale, Rodriquez and Longoria...A movie that brings gritty realism about the streets of LA...From Training Day writer David Ayer it breathes in the same vain as Training Day, Street Kings, and End Of Watch...I give it a Thumb Up...
½ August 21, 2017
Heavy, heavy movie. Very gripping. Christian Bale is always a pleasure to watch on the screen.
August 13, 2017
The film is superb. The scenes are realistic, the acting is top quality, the dialogue is realistic, the protagonist is detestable and the plot is unforgiving and concludes brutally. This film is not tied with a bow at its conclusion like most critics would like. Superb. Unforgettable. Five stars.
June 3, 2017
Class movie what's with all the hate
February 19, 2017
Harsh Time is an appropriate American tragedy. The performances are stellar, from Freddy Rodriguez and Christian Bale, as two losers who need jobs, despite their destructive nature. Bale plays Jim Davis, a haunted PTSD stricken Gulf War veteran with a drug problem, and his friend Mike needs to get a job to satisfy his girlfriend Sylvia. The movie is almost like a glimpse into their gritty life, and ends on a rather anti-climactic note, as if it needed to be tragic to have heft. But the performances are worth the viewing for this interesting drama film.
September 29, 2016
entertaining. unbelievable acting. happy, sad, funny, serious, dramatic, fun, happy, romantic, everything. love the transition between different emotions. (4 viewings)
August 17, 2016
I really enjoyed watching Christian Bale in "The Big Short", so I thought I might like this movie. I didn't. It is a waste of everyone's time: very dark, filled with violence, rage, and no real lesson to be learned. Don't waste your time on this one.
July 8, 2016
Disappointed, but 2 stars for Bale.
May 10, 2016
Bale is the fuel that makes this actioner go
½ December 15, 2015
Christian Bale is very good in this uneven and dismally filmed urban drama. The film was directed by the man who wrote the screenplay to "Training Day". The potential is wasted with too much meladrama.
½ November 2, 2015
Christian Bale knocks it out of the park in this desperate and sad tale.
October 28, 2015
I love it. Rodriguez and Bale give killer performances.
½ August 10, 2015
David Ayer has gone on to do better things with the likes of end of watch and fury but for his directorial debut Harsh Times is a decent watch. The movie focuses on 2 best friends trying to get their acts together and can be strong at points but there are definitely more weak scenes than there are strong.
June 14, 2015
great acting on Bale's Rodriquez part
March 12, 2015
The only good thing about this is Christian Bale.
January 2, 2015
I am pretty sure I have seen this before, but even with the trailer I couldn't remember it,,, gotta watch it again.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Pretty decent drama movie about 2 friends with some problems in their lifes but they want to change it. Christian Bale plays an ex soldier trying to get a new job as a cop in LA. Overall a nice movie and well made with a bit of gangsta style. Worth seeing.
December 23, 2014
At times Harsh Times can be as generic as it's title. The crime infested streets of L.A., the intense war flashbacks, and the plot structure are all things we have seen done before and better. What truly elevates this film is Christian Bale's riveting performance. This guy really can carry an otherwise mediocre film.
½ October 20, 2014
I've seen worse, but this was a poor effort for Bale.
August 29, 2014
Bale does it again with an explosively convincing performance. Acting on par with American Psycho and The Prestige.