Hatchet for the Honeymoon (Il rosso segno della follia) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hatchet for the Honeymoon (Il rosso segno della follia) Reviews

March 28, 2016
The honeymoon is over fast in this gripping Italian film about a man who loved his mother. He kills women dressed in his company's wedding dresses so that he can clarify visions of his mother's death on her second wedding night. Cinema the way only Italy can deliver.
½ January 20, 2016
Mario Bava's darkly funny 'Hatchet For the Honeymoon' is an entertaining psychological thriller that adds a few unique little twists to the genre. It's one of Bava's less grandiose efforts, but that's not to say it isn't plenty of fun. The acting is enjoyably hammy, and the film looks great.
November 14, 2015
More dreamlike and less gory than other Bava films of this era - there are some genuinely spooky moments here. Unlike in the traditional giallo film where we follow the cops as they try to find a maniac killer, this time we follow the killer himself and we are inside his head. Naturally, inside the killer's head is a rather confusing place to be. This killer, John Harrington, acknowledges that he is insane but he needs to kill models on their wedding night (or at least in wedding dresses) in order to unlock the mystery of why he is insane (or so it seemed to me). A subplot sees him also kill his wife who returns as a ghost to haunt him. Bava's camera uses oddly placed zooms but often frames the characters strikingly against flowers (in a plot-relevant hot-house) or with not-naturalistic coloured lights (something Argento later borrowed). Yet, the dubbing and the acting aren't great and you sometimes get the impression that the film has been mistreated after it left Bava's hands. Still it has a pretty good quotient of weirdness, if that's what you are seeking.
September 14, 2015
A little unseen Bava to pad out my Halloween viewing, and I'm happy to have finally crossed it off the list. Some great visuals and deaths are peppered throughout, and I will definitely come back to revisit this one soon.

Rental!
½ March 31, 2015
A beautiful looking film that I'm not completely sold on. Stephen Forsyth isn't much of an actor, but it's not really a very demanding role ... he looks good in the stylish outfits he's given to wear, and I don't think he needs much more. (What is with the white & black body suit pyjamas he wears in one scene? They have a belt and a collar, for heaven's sake!) Outside of the look of the film, I liked it except for the middle act that seemed to drag excruciatingly.
February 6, 2015
Hatchet for the Honeymoon is a disappointing film. It is about bridal design shop owner who kills various young brides-to-be. Stephen Forsyth and Laura Betti give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Mario Bava did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
September 23, 2014
I definitely don't like it as much as I do Black Sunday or Kill, Baby...Kill!, but it's definitely special. I particularly love Bava's psychedelic stretches when John Harrington's sanity is stretched to its breaking point. I'm not sure, but I think a set of steak knives isn't the best wedding present to give that guy. Just saying.
May 24, 2014
Many people, like Tim Lucas, consider Mario Bava's 1969 horror film Hatchet For the Honeymoon (AKA Il rosso segno della follia) to be one of his finest films and his most personal. I guess I'd sort of agree with that, but let's not jump the shark here. This movie is not a masterpiece, by any means. It's light years ahead of something like American Psycho story-wise, but it has one of the more annoying horror film scores I've ever seen. It doesn't help that most of the female actors don't really have much to do, other than be victims or mean to the lead actor. I'm not a feminist or anything, but it just feels one-sided. Of course it's about a man who fancies himself a killer and it's all from his point of view, but still, shouldn't the women be a little more than flighty and a little less than awful? Can't there be an in-between somewhere? There's not much blood and gore in this one for fans of that, and it's more about the style than the story really. It's not a bad movie overall, but it has its fair share of problems.
½ May 5, 2014
Gleefully cheesy in every way, but not without a certain charm
½ April 26, 2014
Much like Christopher Nolan's Momento, Mario Bava's Hatchet For The Honeymoon takes you on a trip through the protagonist's memories. In typical Bava fashion, the film feels fresh and unique while keeping the body count ancillary.
½ April 16, 2014
ok italian horror pic
½ March 22, 2014
The story and plot are fairly tame and obvious but there are some great moments of true tension but the winning in this motion picture comes from the artful hands and eyes of director Mario Bava. He knows how to direct a horror/giallo picture to keep you from falling asleep and amazed by the visuals through unique and satisfying camera tricks.
½ February 5, 2014
It seems to take an age for each scene to be completed and it's slow paced for the most part. Some of this can be explained as the style employed by Mario Bava, but the story is not too bad and the film would certainly have benefited from added urgency in the direction.
½ December 24, 2013
Do you hear that? Who is tiptoeing in my mind?
December 6, 2013
Not Bava's best work but worth a watch if you're a horror fan.
November 2, 2013
Mario Bava's take on a childhood Oedipal complex-ridden nutcase--Pretty silly all but I was entertained by it!!
½ September 26, 2013
Hatchet for the Honeymoon might not be one of Bava's most accomplished pieces of work but it's not without its charm. It is rich with the kind of style that distinguishes Italian horror cinema. There are some interesting visual flourishes and bizarre, surreal passages are scattered throughout. There is a not so subtle Psycho riff which I can only assume is intended as a homage. Perhaps most surprisingly there is an element of comedy here. Intentional or not some of the dialogue is very funny. Not one for Bava newcomers but fans of Italian horror should enjoy this one.
½ July 12, 2013
"The fact is, I'm completely mad. This realization annoyed me at first, but now it amuses me."-John Harrington (Stephen Forsythe)

A few days ago I found my favorite Bava film (BAY OF BLOOD) but now I have to scratch that statement, for I've have found my new new favorite and this makes me sad as I thought AMERICAN PSYCHO was a completely original screenplay, this is not so. Lots of scenes and similar diolog come from this creepy flick. Must watch more Bava.

"There is one problem. I must go on weilding the cleaver, it's most annoying."-John Harrington
½ December 28, 2012
Seemingly a giallo it takes a wrong turn into the supernatural and lacks the edge of other Bava films and the giallo genre in general. Does have some nice cinematic touches though like only Bava can.