Hatchet II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hatchet II Reviews

March 25, 2017
I honestly didn't mind the addition of Danielle Harris as the female lead, replacing...whoever...played her from the first installment. This time out we head back into the swamps to deal with the Victor Crowley threat once and for all, picking up just a few moments after the events of the original movie.

It's not as much fun as the first film, but we do get more background on Crowley and it's an amiable time-waster, so give it a look.

Rental?
March 10, 2017
While the storytelling is no more imaginative and the gore no less subtle the second time around, Hatchet 2 actually manages to handily surpass its rehashed predecessor with absorbing, blood-soaked violence and a strong performance from genre scream queen Danielle Harris.
September 18, 2016
A great sequel to the original Hatchet! There is still no stopping Victor crawley in this movie. The charecters are supprisingly funny, and this movie has great build up to the swamp. Also that chainsaw was epic.
August 2, 2016
2/5. Better than the first, but still not great.
December 13, 2015
Hatchet 2 Review"
Hatchet 2 is one of those fun over the top gory as hell horror movie. The movie presents to you ridiculous scenes and me personally I did not have a lot of problems with this movie. The acting is bad first of all, the story is cliche(did not bother me) and it's completely realistic. The deaths in this movie is basically mortal kombat's fatalities, there ridiculously gory and over the top. This is basically what this movie is. A group of people go into a swamp and they die extremely painfully and ridiculously but the director of this movie obviously knew what he was working with when he made this film. He knew it was a simple Plot and there are over the top deaths. That's what makes this film good! The director didn't oversell this movie, he did not try to impress or over judge the film. He simply made a movie that was only 1h and 23 min about a fun over the top slasher movie, he did not try to make it look realistic or make the story complex and suspenseful. Guys this director made a simple, fun, extremely gory slasher horror film and that's it, I was not disappointed in any way when watching this film because I knew what I was in for, guys if you like slasher movies that are gory, this is for you! I'll give it a (??????)out of (??????????)
August 20, 2015
Hatchet is a slasher franchise that is right up there with the likes of Jason Vorhees and Freddy Krueger. He is a huge, ugly beast of a man and is pretty much unstoppable. The first film in the franchise was a great surprise to me and this sequel, which starts right at the moment the original left off, doesn't disappoint either. The acting is laughably bad and the kill scenes look very fake at times, but who cares when the movie itself is so enjoyable. It is full of unique, bloody deaths along with a dialogue and storyline that is funny and rarely boring. The entire movie is kept pretty light and never gets to creepy or scary. The ending made it seem like there is no way the killer will come back to life, but with a Hatchet 3 out there, you know these monsters can never truly be killed. Check this one out if your want a gory, fun and light hearted slasher flick.
May 8, 2015
After the awesomeness of the first this is a bit of a letdown. It takes 55 minutes to see Victor Crowley (except a the beginning), but it's worth it. The kills are even more discusting (in a fun way) and we also have again an abrubt ending.
½ May 5, 2015
I remember watching the first Hatchet, but I do not remember reviewing it on this website. I mean I did review it, I just have no recollection of it. But apparently I really enjoyed that movie. I would honestly have to watch it again in order to see if I still have a blast as I seemed to have back when I first watched it. But, honestly, I didn't really think this movie was that good. I honestly don't remember much from the first movie, but I would not doubt that this is very similar to that. I mean it's a sequel to a cult slasher that had some comical touches. You know exactly what you are going to get when your movie is named Hatchet. Lots of incredibly gory and bloody deaths. And this film does not disappoint in that regard in the least. But the film has this idea that it wants to be so bad that it's good, and in some respects it works. But, by and large, it hits more than it misses. For a film that is a little over than 81 minutes long, it's a really slow-paced film all things considered. It's like they press the reset button in order to start over again and they feel the need to give you a, somewhat, long expository period before the shit goes down. There's deaths sprinkled in here and there, but it's a movie that regresses as opposed to progresses. Then again you cannot expect much progress from a lot of slasher sequels. This is, partly, an "origin" story, if you will, in the sense that you get to see what made Victor Crowley the way he did and why he seems to come back even when it looks like he's died. The latter part of that is interesting, but it's not like they do much with it. They just say that he's a repeater and leave it with a simple 'if he gains vengeance on those who murdered him, he can finally be killed.' I suppose you can't expect much of an exploration of interesting concepts in what boils down to a mindless, bloody slasher film. I will say that the gore itself is definitely ridiculous and over-the-top. It doesn't have the best practical effects, but they're purposely campy, so it works in this film's favor. I will say that the movie does have one of the funnier sex scene deaths I've ever seen in a horror film. It got a hearty laugh out of me. The acting isn't great, but it's entertaining in, again, a campy way. Which is what this film intends to be. It's honestly mostly a tribute to old-school slashers and it does that fairly well, even if I wouldn't say this was a good movie, in the least, but it's a fitting tribute. That's about it really. Not a good horror movie, but I can see this movie being more fun to watch with a group of friends as opposed to watching alone. Some great and gory deaths are not enough to make this worth watching though.
March 13, 2015
A pretty ordinary slasher sequel with a regular set of characters that you know are all going to come to a gruesome end.
½ February 26, 2015
It could've been way better, but the ball was dropped. Continuity holes you'll have to see for yourself.
February 23, 2015
Possibly the best slasher sequel since Jason vorhees put on a hockey mask.
½ January 10, 2015
Silly. More than half the movie was prep work. The best part of it was Ministry's "Just One Fix," and that was during the opening credits.
January 2, 2015
Victor Crowley is back. Picking up from where the first film left off, Marybeth went to Reverend Zombie for help and a group of hunters were called for to go back to the marsh and bring back Victor's head.

Well, certainly gorier than the first film but it wasn't funny at all this time around. Parry Shen was annoying as hell, why did they get him back? A lot of nice cameos but there lacked a solid plot. Though it deserves credits for trying.
½ December 16, 2014
Despite having horror veterans Tony Todd. Kane Hodder and Danielle Harris, this film is just okay at best.
November 29, 2014
this should have been really bad, decent characters for this sort of thing and imaginative death sequences lift this above the average, obviously low budget filler product but enough going on that a love for this sort of thing shines through
½ November 2, 2014
Holy smokes. Make sure you watch the unrated version. I started with the Redbox "Hatchet" job, and it was no fun at all. The over the top stuff is what is truly the MEAT of this movie. Make sure to check it out that way ONLY. Still not a huge slasher fan, but this one is entertaining enough for a Halloween weekend horror film binge.
½ September 24, 2014
The acting in this one is horrendous. I really loved the first one and the acting in it was actually decent. They replaced Marybeth with the worst actress I have ever seen.
September 9, 2014
Hatchet II is the definition of slasher horror. It tries so hard to be a slasher that it ends up being an overkill. Very excessive, but that is not a bad thing.
½ September 6, 2014
Another solid entry to the series.
August 29, 2014
More kick-ass and awesome than the original! Improves on the original's flaws and follows on the story brilliantly, adding new and just as likeable characters to the mix. Just like the original (but even more so) gore hounds will not be disappointed. Also it keeps the original's comedic tone (which I liked) but also is more serious than the original which makes the movie better in my opinion. Definitely worth a watch. Just make sure you've seen the original first cause this one follows on frame by frame!