Hatchet III - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hatchet III Reviews

December 19, 2015
More over the top gore, not done very well. Comparable to the previous two.
½ December 13, 2015
Hatchet 3"Review
This is the final film of hatchet and surprisingly it is one of the best of the 3 films, I have not watched the 1st one yet but I really want to now! Hatchet 3 is basically the same plot as the 2nd one, a group of people go into a swamp to hunt Victor Crowley, but in this case it's not a bunch of hunters , it's the police and the swat department. The thing that I liked better about this one than the 2nd was there was more immersive gory scenes with Victor, we got to see him as much as the 2nd one but this one has better directed slashing scenes that's a little badass. This movie is not directed by the Adam Green who made the 1st and 2nd hatchet. The director is B.J McDonnell, I think he did a really good job at improving and keeping this trilogy alive! This was yet another good and even more satisfying slasher series and I can't wait to own it on blu ray! I'm gonna give hatchet 3 a (?????? 1/2) out of (??????????)
October 10, 2015
This is a considerable improvement over Hatchet 2. I don't even know what it was that made this film so much better than its prequel, because, essentially, they're the same exact film with very little that's actually different. But, I don't know, I thought the film was better paced than Hatchet 2, the horror/gore was, obviously, very over-the-top and tongue-in-cheek. I wouldn't call this a parody of slasher films, but it does poke fun at some of the tropes. Like, for example, how a lot of these monsters keep coming back film after film, no matter how devastating an end they met in the previous film. The film plays with that here and it's actually probably one of the more important elements of the film, in how you actually get rid of Victor Crowley. While how they did end up getting rid of him might seem stupid, particularly considering everything that was done to him, it actually makes sense within the context of what the film is trying to do, so I had no problem with that. Maybe I'm overrating the film, but I honestly had quite a bit of fun watching this film. It's not what you would call a great horror movie, and it was never actually meant to be one. But as far as quick, doesn't overstay its welcome diversion, then it works pretty damn well to be honest. Another reason I think I'm overrating this film is the fact that Sid Haig made an awesome cameo appearance in this film. His appearance definitely made the film a little bit better to me and, without him, it's very likely that I'd have given the film 2.5 star rating. It's not that I didn't have fun, but Haig's appearance made the film better than it would've been without him. And it's not even a cameo that goes more than five minutes. With that said, I think I still would've enjoyed the film in a more B-movie type of way, even if I didn't give it a good rating. There's a lot of gore, duh, and it's obviously completely over-the-top, just what you would expect. The film is surprisingly well paced for this type of film. Like there's a good balance of gore and 'story'. Not that there's honestly much of a story to speak of, but it is there and they find a good balance between those two elements to make sure that the film doesn't peak early. So that was cool. The film, obviously, has its comedic elements and it's clear that this isn't meant to be taken seriously in the slightest. So I enjoyed this movie. It's got good gore and good tongue-in-cheek tone. Hatchet fans will definitely enjoy this one. It's a fun time.
½ August 30, 2015
This is a nonstop gorefest from start to finish. Entertaining and campy horror that is funnier then it is scary with just enough of a story to understand it. Didn't see parts 1 or 2 but it didn't matter.
August 26, 2015
I really enjoyed the conclusion to this lesser known slasher franchise. Unlike Freddy Kruger and Jason V, Hatchet actually has an ending and there really cannot be anymore made after this third installment. I love how each movie leads right into the next, so this whole series takes place in about a 3 day timeframe. The kills are gory, the blood flows like wine, and plot and acting are just as horrible as ever, but who cares when the movie is just out for fun. If you liked the other 2 films, this one is made of the same mold and will satisfy that itch for an inhuman beast killing people. Each movie the good guys get a little tougher, first it was regular swamp tour goers, then it was alligator hunters and Hatcher III pits him against a Swat team. I really enjoyed this series and I am a little bummed that they sealed the ending so no more can be made.
½ July 6, 2015
Crazy yet funny movie
½ June 10, 2015
A decent ending to the franchise, just what you would expect. The gore is pretty intense!
June 5, 2015
Enjoyable film. By no means great, but fun nonetheless.
March 28, 2015
Cheesy slasher! The effects are laughable, but in a good way.
½ February 23, 2015
Amazing just a really great time.
February 22, 2015
I killed a man.

Marybeth's family is plagued by the local legend Victor Crowley. The family is cursed until they return Victor Crowley to his father. Marybeth thinks she killed Victor in Hatchet 2, but she's mistaken and every law enforcement officer investigating her claim is in for a rough night. Can someone finally take out Crowley or will he continue his murderous rampaging ways?

"These are somebody's balls. Balls are not supposed to be hanging from trees."

BJ McDonnell delivers Hatchet 3 in his directorial debut. The storyline for this picture has a classic slasher feel to it. It is below average, for sure, but the kill scenes are very well done. The acting was below par and the cast includes Danielle Harris, Zach Galligan, Caroline Williams, Parry Shen, Derek Mears, and Rileah Vanderbilt.

"You guys don't tell us how to do our jobs and we won't tell you how much you suck at yours."

I grabbed this off Netflix because I remember seeing the first two and being moderately entertained. I will say the action and kill sequences are done better than you may anticipate. The movie is a nice addition to the horror genre and worth a viewing if you're a fan of the genre.

"It's a fucking scalp."

Grade: D+/C-
½ January 4, 2015
Surprisingly better than than Hatchet 2. Hatchet 3 seems the return of Victor Crowley who after presumably killed by Marybeth, has resurrected because of a voodoo curse. Marybeth is arrested as the suspect of the Honey Island Swamp masscare, at the same time a nosy journalist tells her the only way to break the curse is to give Crowley what he wants. At the same time, police officers, paramedics and swat teams were sent to the swamp to find out what's happened after Crowley resurrected.

Bolder and Cheekier than the first two films, Hatchet 3 was a fun ride from the beginning to the end. I really do hope Hatchet can become a franchise like Friday the 13th.
½ January 2, 2015
This movie brings everything you would expect from the Hatchet series! Tons of bodies and tons of gore! Nothing else is needed ;)
January 1, 2015
a blood spattered finale.
½ November 6, 2014
Really gory horror movie, plenty of blood and spills. Awesome slasher! Story was a continuance of the previous one, so really need to watch them all in one go.
November 2, 2014
retarded but good slasher movie nonsense!
½ October 1, 2014
Pretty good movie. It's fairly suspenseful, plenty bloody, funny in moments, and decent B-Movie material. But its plotline is both terrible and nonexistent, and its performances are way too over the top, especially Harris.
September 27, 2014
Hatchet 3 is a very bloody gory sequel that ties up Victor Crowley story and all the victims that he killed out in the swamps. B (2013)
½ September 21, 2014
There's something curiously underwhelming about the blood-soaked mayhem on display in Hatchet III. Too busy with limb-severings and gunfire to bother being intelligent. BJ McDonnell, too hesitant to stray from the beaten path set by Green's previous films, lacks the looser, more whimsical hand that would have allowed Hatchet III to transcend its thoughtlessly imitative state. When the title of a movie consists of a number and the name of a tool, expectations are likely to be pretty low. So it feels somewhat incongruous to call "Hatchet III" a disappointment. Even die-hard fans may be disappointed by this ultra-violent low-budgeter, the latest and least installment in the cult-fave franchise about fear and loathing and corpse accumulating in a notorious stretch of Louisiana swamp country. McDonnell is a significantly less eloquent aesthete: Though he tries his best to mirror Green's deliberate rhythms, his style ends up recalling the punkish amateurism of bargain-bin '80s horror flicks. There is so little to the script that the only actor who really makes an impression is Caroline Williams, playing a reporter who has been ridiculed in the past for promulgating the Victor Crowley legend. For once in a horror movie, the journalist is the smart one. It's great to see Zach Galligan on the big screen again, but Hatchet III serves up a host of unimaginative kills stymied by terrible gore effects. Strictly for fans of the series.

VERDICT: "Not So Hot" - [Negative Reaction] These films are truly terrible films. They are not the worst things ever made, but they are definitely awful and should not be seen by anyone. (Films that are rated 1.5 or 2 stars)
September 16, 2014
Brutal, and filled with gore, Hatchet 3 is both fast paced, a ton of fun and awesome slasher flick.