Haunted Honeymoon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Haunted Honeymoon Reviews

½ September 24, 2012
Seeing that 'ghost' figure walking up the bedroom wall freaked me out, I was only a kid when I first saw this spooky comedy, not soo scary now but it's still funny!
June 26, 2012
not bad but not real good either
½ June 18, 2012
The end explains everything... lol
June 8, 2012
This movie has 3 comedy legends in it, Gene Wilder, Gilda Radner, and Dom Deluise. Since I am a huge fan of all 3 of them, I had always wanted to see this movie. Its not as funny as I thought it would be but its still got a few parts in there that are laugh out loud funny. The movie doesnt hold up to well for a movie thats 25 years old but if youre a fan of old classic comedies, then check this one out. Even if youre not, you should see it just for the backstory on it. This is the movie where Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner met and this was also one of Gildas last movies since she started getting sick while making it and passed away 3 years later.
May 23, 2012
Very funny movie. Gene Wilder is always a great laugh! Silly, funny, movie!
May 11, 2012
I LOVE this movie! I just rented it again and it was only recently that I could fully appreciate the comedic genius that is Gene Wilder.
½ April 12, 2012
Gene Wilder is amazing...and especially Dom Deluise
½ March 31, 2012
Very cute film. Lacking the magic of a classic Mel Brooks' spoof, he would have made a fine director on this little comedy. Not all bad, but not all intriguing.
March 26, 2012
Ahh, well, at least Richard Pryor wasn't in it.
February 15, 2012
I liken this film to listening to Des O Connor's Greatest Hits. Give it a very wide berth.
½ January 11, 2012
very funny! Dom Deluise is so funny!
December 13, 2011
i think this is the movie ive been looking for for about a year now!! xD my boyfriend loves this type of humor and it was one of my favorites when i was little. im so excited to introduce him to another comedy classic!
October 21, 2011
I love this movie, even though SOME may not. I recommend everyone see it at least once!
½ October 1, 2011
A few laughs, but it's difficult to not compare it to the far superior Young Frankenstein. Sorry Mr.Wilder.
September 4, 2011
Really good, campy fun until the ending. It ruined a perfectly good movie.
½ June 30, 2011
Gene Wilder is back in the rut of sending up old film conventions in Haunted Honeymoon, a mild farce. Title is a misnomer, since set-up has radio actor Wilder taking his fiancee Gilda Radner out to his family's gloomy country estate to meet the kinfolk just before tying the knot. Clan is presided over by the tubby, genial Aunt Kate, played by Dom DeLuise, who maintains that a werewolf is on the loose in the vicinity. The gifted British actor Jonathan Pryce shows that he can manage an American accent, and Bryan Pringle gets some juice out of the role of the butler, who's on the juice most of the time. The funniest of the routines is an old but well-done number in which Mr. Wilder pretends that a couple of legs that don't belong to him are his own, in order to get the cops off the scent.

VERDICT: "Rental" - (Mixed to Negative reaction). These films are only worth renting because of certain good things that are worth seeing, but are not worth paying at a theatre to see due to bad things that overcome anything good.
½ June 29, 2011
DeLouise is fantastic and I love Wilder and Radner. Tries to be Mel Brooks, and I suppose it almost gets there, but it gets lost in too many plot points and doesn't hit the comedy as much as you'd want. c+
½ May 26, 2011
Gilda Radner is TOTALLY IN LOVE with GENE WILDER . . .

(I just finished reading BUNNY BUNNY by Alan Zweibel and ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING by Gilda Radner and both books made my eyes well-up with tears).

The doctors in California said The Cancer had Gone Away, yet when Gilda had gone back to Connecticut it turned out the oncologists in California misread the computers, so very, very, horribly sad.

I'm still devastated . . .
(well, Gilda's sister had cancer, her aunt died of cancer, her grand-mother died of cancer, her father died of brain cancer and Gilda worried a lot as evidenced in her autobiography

. . ."WORRY" and "STRESS" makes the body acidic and the acidity CAUSES the "chemical-environment" conducive to stimulating cancerous growth of cells.)

from wikipedia:

Gene Wilder had this to say about her death:

She went in for the scan - but the people there could not keep her on the gurney. She was raving like a crazed woman - she knew they would give her morphine and was afraid she'd never regain consciousness. She kept getting off the cart as they were wheeling her out. Finally three people were holding her gently and saying, "Come on Gilda. We're just going to go down and come back up." She kept saying, "Get me out, get me out!" She'd look at me and beg me, "Help me out of here. I've got to get out of here." And I'd tell her, "You're okay honey. I know. I know." They sedated her, and when she came back, she remained unconscious for three days. I stayed at her side late into the night, sometimes sleeping over. Finally a doctor told me to go home and get some sleep. At 4 am on Saturday, I heard a pounding on my door. It was an old friend, a surgeon, who told me, "Come on. It's time to go." When I got there, a night nurse, whom I still want to thank, had washed Gilda and taken out all the tubes. She put a pretty yellow barrette in her hair. She looked like an angel. So peaceful. She was still alive, and as she lay there, I kissed her. But then her breathing became irregular, and there were long gaps and little gasps. Two hours after I arrived, Gilda was gone. While she was conscious, I never said goodbye.

so, Gilda KNEW she would die if "they" gave her morphine, yet "they" gave her the morphine anyway and she died.

I feel Gilda would have beaten the cancer if "they" "let" her live . . . it would have been a long life-struggle, but Gilda had a good ten or fifteen years left.

So its tragic reading the "Gene Wilder Account" of Gilda's final hours above. People need to listen to patients more.

Gene Wilder is a comedy-actor (as Gilda Radner wrote), not a comedian, and not a film director.

Haunted Honeymoon reminds me of a comedy-version of THE CAT AND THE CANARY where family members try to freak each other out in order to get some more inheritance-money.

The Lighting is very bad (in the sense that there are no atmospheric shadows); the cinematography is very "staid" and ordinary; the music is over-blown.

and when we "see" actor Paul L. Smith's thoughts super-imposed on his head, we (the viewer) only sees one thought . . . very, very, very dry comedy-film.

Its no fault of Gene Wilder, its just that Gene Wilder is not a director, just like I am not a neurosurgeon.
(the talent is mis-matched).

BUT GILDA is SOOOOOOO IN-LOVE with GENE . . . for this HAUNTED HONEYMOON receives a 90% because it captures GILDA'S feelings for Gene 100%; and I love it for that.
May 17, 2011
Truly awful. If you loved when you where young (as i did), i urge you not to watch it as an adult.
March 20, 2011
Not my favorite Gene Wilder movie but it was still funny. Dom DeLuise made a lovely lady. I like how Gilda's character Vicki let the other woman know that Larry (Gene's character) was her's so BACK OFF.