The Haunted Mansion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Haunted Mansion Reviews

May 7, 2016
Used to be my favorite movie a few years ago. It's funny, and age appropriate, not cheesy like a lot of kid haunted movies. Great for all ages and a movie that you can keep on watching.
April 10, 2016
A fun family film. Not the best you will see, but doesn't deserve the critics slating.
½ March 6, 2016
It's awful how they made a classic Disney ride into an unbearable movie.
½ February 25, 2016
The Haunted Mansion is a mixed bag, as its fun for kids but it feels like a really lazy attempt at a comedy for any other ages.
jamrcla
½ February 25, 2016
Not really what I'd watch but had some good bits, One for the kids.
January 31, 2016
The ride is better than this...
½ January 21, 2016
This film has to be first, this film was based on the back story of a successful Ride at Disneyland Haunted Mansion, & the design of the film was based on the ride also.

Although a little silly & predictable it's a relatively interesting film that juggles comedy & scary quite well especially for a Disney Film.

As the film progresses there are quite a few spooky scenes but it's goes hard for the Happily Ever After in the final quarter. The visual effects are quite good for a film in 2003.
January 14, 2016
I like Eddie Murphy, I honestly think almost every movie he's in is funny. But this one just doesn't seem to match up to par.
October 28, 2015
The perfect encapsulation of Murphy's era of reining it in. Lacks in humor, scares, adventure and originality...it does, however, have plenty of strangely out-of-place shots of people who committed suicide. Even though the story and FX are right out of the great Disney ride it's based on, a 90 minute movie should try harder than a 6 minute theme-park attraction.
½ October 17, 2015
What could have been a creepy, nostalgic visual journey immediately becomes filled with recycled jokes and gags too cheesy for most children.
October 17, 2015
Tiresome and not funny at all. Such a waste of time, could have been a great movie too if it was done properly!
½ October 10, 2015
A waste of talent, including Terrance Stamp, Wallace Shawn, and Jennifer Tilly. I hated listening to the commentary for this because I could tell that they really tried their best but they know that they produced a bad product.
October 5, 2015
This is a good example of a film where the premise is promising, but the outcome doesn't really deliver. It's actually a great kids film, but the only problem is that some scenes may be too scary for kids. Adults, on the other hand, will find the movie pretty unfunny. With Eddie Murphy in the lead role it should be way more laughable, but there's maybe one good chuckle in the whole movie.

Nonetheless, it's intriguing in the sense that it takes place in a mysterious mansion and much of the plot being uncovered when real estate agent, Jim Evers (Murphy), and his family get trapped inside after Evers gets asked to represent the home on the market. Little do they know the mansion owner has his own agenda and secrets to hide.

It's an obvious vehicle for Disney to promote their ride of the same name. Not that we always mind it (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean) but when a premise is stretched thinly and the film still only comes in at under 90 minutes it's safe to say that they don't have much to work with. And with a ride that has so much potential for a brilliant story, we get stuck with a film that doesn't really live up to expectations.

Although large portions of the film lack any substantial plot development, it's enjoyable to watch the family explore and discover the secrets that the mansion hides. But the information that we get is received in clumps at a time. I won't give anything away, but there is a curse involved in the movie and the details of said curse are highly convoluted and evoke so many questions to the viewer that the film loses a lot of credibility in the process.

But the set pieces are great. The filmmakers do a good job replicating the feel of the ride itself. Children will be awed by the mystery of the whole story and even though they may not understand certain plot details, it will definitely spark their imagination.

With a better script I would love to see Disney try this one again. Not that we can't like 2003's Haunted Mansion for what it is, but it's nowhere near having a "modern classic" status.

Twizard Rating: 64
August 1, 2015
Save some fun special effects, the film is inconsistent in tone and feels literally written by the creative department as opposed to actual writers
½ August 1, 2015
The Haunted Mansion is such a dreadful family feature that it fails to deliver laughs or offer scares
½ July 13, 2015
The spooks within the replicated atmosphere were sporadic with successful effects from the mortals' perspectives but rarely broke the screen, which makes them dull in contrast to the ride as the opportunity to be scary was squandered. However, the faithfulness was attempted with some tries as in to the story, elements and figures and somewhat enlarging the vision in an unbalanced flow, with humor as a bonus. Although inferior to both the ride and its next-door neighbor's more successful turnout, it's at least enjoyable to watch with little satisfaction. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
July 10, 2015
The jokes and the horror are on the viewer.
½ July 3, 2015
This movie has a good amount of acting talent in it, but the result absolutely dreadful. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. As one reviewer put it, it's neither scary nor funny. Which doesn't leave much else. That's about all you need to know. I'll give it 1/2 star for the acapela-singing ghost busts.
June 19, 2015
A dull, unfunny Eddie Murphy film.
June 11, 2015
The Haunted Mansion isn't funny, scary, or enjoyable. It's boringly directed and unbelievably silly how when the family comes to the mansion it takes them half the movie to realize that it's haunted. The plot is unoriginal too. Kids might enjoy it, but I think they'll prefer the ride more.