Full Circle (The Haunting of Julia) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Full Circle (The Haunting of Julia) Reviews

September 27, 2016
One of the top most terrifying movies of all time. The soundtrack and cinematography are truly hair-raising.
November 3, 2015
I watched a horrible cut of this film. Crackling and staticky noises covered the entire film making me easily lose concentration, the last few films I've been watching have all been the same deal. These really weird movie channels have like the worst version of films. It probably would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't some 180p version of the film either. It was far from the EDTV 480p standard in television today. Anyway, the plot is pretty standard fare. I'm still confused over the events of the film. The ending is horrible and confusing and the film is a slasher and I still can't figure out who's causing the murders. The film is a mess of confusion.
March 24, 2014
Directionless and morose, Rosemary's Baby lite.
½ December 9, 2013
We all know that Mia Farrow is a master playing neurotic on the verge to hysterical women, and very convinsingly so. This movie makes no exception.

It's a rather chilling story, about a family who one morning experiences a very traumatic and tragic accident, causing the family's only child's death.
Julia (Mia Farrow), the mother gets so grief- strucken, she gets aquitted for a mental institution for a shorter while.
In an appempt to start a new life from scratch, she separates from her husband and buys an old mansion in London, to get on her feet again. She befriends some neighbours, and one of them who claims to be psychic, warns Julia about the house.
During a seance one evening, the neighbour cracks and screams about a mutilated child's body covered in blood.
Strange "accidents" soon seem to happen to eveyone in Julia's small circuit of friends and acquaintances.
Julia is determined to find out who the murdered boy, her neighbour was screaming about during the sťance, and when she visits the local library some very old aricles are found. It turns out that a little boy was brutally murdered and a janitor was convicted and hung for it, in the 1930s. But only...the murder did not occur in Julia's (haunted) house, but on a playground nearby.
When Julia starts digging in the case she finds out that the truth is more horrendous than anyone could have guessed.

I am a big fan of gothic horror, so naturally I liked this movie who doesn't stand out much in it's genre. Though I can admit the movie has aged a bit, and the scenarios with all those "accidents" seem a bit ridiculous. Despite that, I'm longing for the day they released this forgotten movie on DVD.
The ending was just brilliant!
jjnxn
October 27, 2013
Bland suspenser with Mia again in occult territory.
½ October 20, 2013
While it begins as more of a melancholic domestic drama about coping with loss, events do take a turn for the mysterious and the supernatural. Granted, the film doesn't present us with anything truly new in this regard, but it's a solid-enough piece of work, all things told. It's well-crafted (albeit with a very 1970s flavor), establishes a palpable and undeniably effective mood, and its patient in the way it slowly moves further and further into creepy territory; that's really just one way of saying some people could find the pace pretty slow, but I think it works fine, particularly because the ending leaves an impression. Mia Farrow - despite being tasked by the script to occasionally deliver some pretty on-the-nose dialogue - is very good, and she nicely sells her character's journey. Thinking about the film, it actually feels like something of a spiritual cousin to the great George C. Scott haunted house film THE CHANGELING, but it's nowhere near as chilling as that one. Still, it's worth a look for fans of "slow burn" ghost stories.
August 31, 2013
A perfect '70's horror flick
October 20, 2012
"Evil can never die."

A solid ghost story. Mia's acting was amazing, but the audio was so bad it distracted me from the story. Also everyone comments on how the soundtrack was so good, but I found it annoying, actually too loud in some scenes. The ending wasn't surprising either nor was it as good as I expected. Reminds me of DONT LOOK NOW.
½ October 9, 2012
A thinking mans horror movie. The tension comes from the story and subject matter. Has a neat chilling ending but ultimately dies on it's own slow burn as it really amounts to nothing as the 1:30 feels like 2 and a half.
October 7, 2012
It starts out in a really disturbing way, but after that, I couldn't really get into it.
August 3, 2012
I disagree with the other review that called this movie "slow" and "confusing". It is a wonderfully atmospheric chiller without nudity or gore. If you pay attention to the dialogue and what is going on throughout the movie (if you leave for 20 minutes and then come back to it, you will miss much as everything in the movie is necessary) , it all comes together. However, if you like slasher flicks, this is definitely not for you.
August 1, 2012
Ok.. Quite spooky!!!
June 16, 2012
Truly great ghost story with a brilliant score & atmosphere, which is, unfortunately hard to get hold of, not counting the copy on YouTube. Someone stick this out on DVD in its full Technovision glory. Highly recommended!
November 6, 2011
I liked it for the historical value, and I think I could recommend it if you are a horror film buff. It had some foreboding and tension involved, but for the most part, I thought it was slow - and a little confusing. Watch it if you are interested in learning about horror film creation. Otherwise, skip it.
August 21, 2011
Originally called "Full Circle" on its initial release, "The Haunting of Julia" is certainly a better title. Julia (Mia Farrow) is indeed haunted -- both literally and figuratively -- in this film. Meanwhile, there's very little full circle about it; the specifics of her haunting hardly connect in a way that makes one think the heroine's demons come from prior trauma.

Julia suffers a mental breakdown after the tragic, completely preventable death of her snotty daughter (Sophie Ward). In one of the most embarrassing death scenes ever committed to film, the young girl chokes on a piece of apple. To make matters worse, Julia proves herself inept right off the bat, performing a tracheotomy that more or less eviscerates the daughter's little throat.

After this trauma she barricades herself in a tumble-down cottage, closing herself off to everyone, including her cad of a husband (Keir Dullea, who, between "Haunting" and "Black Christmas" proved himself one of the most incompetent horror movie actors of the decade). However her new digs allow Julia little peace, as the soul of a demented young girl named Olivia calls the cottage home, tormenting Julia by ... leaving the heater on when the new tenant steps out for a bit.

There are intimations that the girl is a psychotic, hateful little beast (particularly during one of the most overwrought, poorly constructed seances ever to appear in a movie, complete with obese, hammy fortune teller (Anna Wing)) whose lust for blood can't even be sated by her own death. However, this is something of a moot point -- the majority of the injuries and deaths in the film come not from supernatural malice but from fright, stumbles down flights of stairs and unlikely traumas to the throat (or some combination of all three; witness Dullea's ridiculous death).

Much is made of Olivia's terrible nature but the subplot consistently fails to fit into Julia's story. Other than the fact that Julia's daughter died and the two end up essentially becoming antagonistic roommates, their paths couldn't be more divergent. It seems like director Richard Loncraine and screenwriters Harry Bromley Davenport and Dave Humphries attempted to awkwardly connect two completely different ghost stories together without first thinking whether the first tale's underlying sense of dread contradicts the second's more traditional, man vs. spectral menace conflict.
August 16, 2011
This is a classic. If you are not a chicken and you have half a brain, I dare you to watch it.
½ April 14, 2011
Not a flawless movie, but excellent in its own reserved way. The house is perfectly grand, the characters sufficiently intriguing, and the musical score so appropriately ominous for an ending that sticks.
January 1, 2010
This is a sleepy Horror .. Its slow paced .. With an eerie Affect.. Its like dancing in a haunted house..
It is a good ghost story .. The music is lasting..
June 29, 2009
A fairly interesting take on Peter Straub's first supernatural novel. Moves quietly and the psychological subtext of the cast seems to be muffled by the director trying to recall the same atmosphere used in the far superior film, 'Don't Look Now'. Besides a few startling images, the final few moments of the film really make the film memorable. A sense of unease is within the film, but buried far too deep to disquiet the audience and sustain any tension.
June 27, 2009
Read Peter Sraubs book instead. Dull.