Havana Reviews

September 6, 2010
Now that the flixster summary mentions it, the story in this movie is a lot like a Casablanca copycat. Anyway, I thought it was way too slow and dull, I didn't care a bit about the main character, he was so boring. The most interesting parts are skipped over, for example when Raul Julia's intriguing character is killed off quickly. And it just gets worse from there, changing from a thriller to a romance to a political drama and back again. It doesn't know where it's going.
movieguru12
December 2, 2010
A wonderful well acted movie. It was sad at the end though whenever Jack & Bobby had to say goodbye.
December 4, 2011
August 9, 2010
If you understand and are interested in the events that took place in Havana in the 50s, you will like this movie, but for the rest of us it's just plain boring. Plus, one of my favourite actors, Raul Julia, is in one scene and then killed off in the next scene, which made me angry. There is also a lot of card playing in the movie, as if watching people play cards is exciting! If you're looking for a thrilling, gritty, exciting movie don't watch this one.
½ May 8, 2010
A great and terribly underrated piece of cinematic excellence. The only inherent problem I had with Havana is it was just too grandiose for its own good. You have a great cast with Redford, Olin and Arkin, you have some great dialogue and direction by the late, great Sydney Pollack. But it just didn't appeal to wider audiences in today's cinema. If this would've been released 40 years prior it would have been a sensational hit. Just goes to show how much people's tastes have changed.
August 5, 2007
This movie started off slower than I wanted, but then it took off!! Redford and Olin were awesome together..
April 23, 2013
Not Pollack's best work but Redford and Arkin make the film work.
January 10, 2013
Beautifully shot and scored, the impending revolution in Cuba swirls around in the background with romantic old Havana but if you're looking for a historical drama about the period of transition to the 1959 Castro regime, you will be disappointed. This film is a very personal story about the short-lived but intense relationship that unfolds between a professional gambler (Redford)and the beautiful Bobby Duran (Olin), wife of a revolutionary who is thought to have been killed. There is sustained dramatic tension throughout the movie as Jack Weil (Redford) reluctantly finds himself drawn into the politics of the brewing revolution. Nevertheless, the real power of the movie is the chemistry between Olin and Redford and the magnetic on-screen presence of Lena Olin as Bobby. "I was lost in a sweet moment" she tells Jack, and we are lost in Jack's fascination with her. Olin fills up the screen and our senses with her smouldering sensuality and we are lost in her, too. So here's the magic in Havana -- Lena Olin, Lena Olin, Lena Olin.
November 10, 2012
I think ‚?? mainly because American audiences generally turn against long films ‚?? that Havana is vastly under-rated. We know that the score is excellent but the dialogue is first-rate and daring in exploring depths that challenge words. The characters are conflicted and grow before our eyes.. The scenery is dramatic; the historical portrayal is complex while portraying a rich balance of conflicting points of view... The love triangle is credible even if Raul Julia's character is given little space... All in all, I find it an enduring film although, i confess that I found it more enjoyable viewing in the comfort of my home than I did when I was stuck in a theater seat for two and a half hours.

‚??Funny thing happend to me last week.
I realized I wasn‚??t going to die young.‚??
That happens to each of us except...
½ August 6, 2011
Havana is beautiful to watch and historically interesting regarding Cuba, but it may have been better if it was truly a documentary. As it is, the characters seem unreal to me and inorganic to the film, especially Redford's character, Jack West. At the end, I couldn't help thinking the whole thing was a rather shabbily contrived vehicle designed to deliver a certain political message.
February 14, 2011
Has some good moments and very atmospheric but way too long.
Best scenes: The 2 randy girl tourists who want to see the "real" Cuba>