Havana - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Havana Reviews

June 13, 2016
During Castro's regime, an American gambler falls in love with a revolutionaries wife. Well acted if not long and sloppily directed.
May 19, 2016
This movie sits with Redford's style
October 9, 2014
It was not a bad movie but I do think it was too long. The leads have Ok chemistry (not great).
½ March 29, 2014
Directed by Sydney Pollack, (The Way We Were (1973), The Electric Horseman (1979) and Tootsie (1982)), this was Pollack's follow-up to his multi-Oscar winning Out of Africa (1985), but he had struggled to find an ideal follow-up to it, however he found this tale of a gambler set against the backdrop of the Cuban Revolution as one with potential. But it does drag in places, despite good intentions. On Christmas Eve, 1958. Professional gambler Jack Weil (Robert Redford) comes to Havana, Cuba on a boat from Miami with the intentions of gambling, but he's also been asked by Roberta Duran (Lena Olin), to smuggle in U.S. Army Signal Corps radios for the Cuban revolutionaries. Roberta's husband Arturo (Raķl JuliŠ) is a key figure in the revolution, but he is keeping his agenda very hush-hush, Arturo originally wants Weil to raise money for the revolution through gambling, which Weil refuses to do. He soon finds himself in a game of espionage, where there's a lot of betrayal going on, and he's got a big high stakes poker game planned with Havana's elite. It has good intentions, and a good cast too, but it was a difficult production for all concerned and it shows, despite a good score by Dave Grusin and sun-snogged cinematography by Owen Roizman. But, that doesn't make for a classic film, it feels like the opposite of a passion project, a film made for the sake of it.
April 23, 2013
Not Pollack's best work but Redford and Arkin make the film work.
March 17, 2013
I actually enjoyed this movie and it is similar to Casablanca in a lot of ways.
½ January 26, 2013
It was a visually beauty film and also the acting was for the most part good. It is similar to Casablanca in a lot of ways and I prefer this movie because of its in color.
January 10, 2013
Beautifully shot and scored, the impending revolution in Cuba swirls around in the background with romantic old Havana but if you're looking for a historical drama about the period of transition to the 1959 Castro regime, you will be disappointed. This film is a very personal story about the short-lived but intense relationship that unfolds between a professional gambler (Redford)and the beautiful Bobby Duran (Olin), wife of a revolutionary who is thought to have been killed. There is sustained dramatic tension throughout the movie as Jack Weil (Redford) reluctantly finds himself drawn into the politics of the brewing revolution. Nevertheless, the real power of the movie is the chemistry between Olin and Redford and the magnetic on-screen presence of Lena Olin as Bobby. "I was lost in a sweet moment" she tells Jack, and we are lost in Jack's fascination with her. Olin fills up the screen and our senses with her smouldering sensuality and we are lost in her, too. So here's the magic in Havana -- Lena Olin, Lena Olin, Lena Olin.
November 10, 2012
I think ‚?? mainly because American audiences generally turn against long films ‚?? that Havana is vastly under-rated. We know that the score is excellent but the dialogue is first-rate and daring in exploring depths that challenge words. The characters are conflicted and grow before our eyes.. The scenery is dramatic; the historical portrayal is complex while portraying a rich balance of conflicting points of view... The love triangle is credible even if Raul Julia's character is given little space... All in all, I find it an enduring film although, i confess that I found it more enjoyable viewing in the comfort of my home than I did when I was stuck in a theater seat for two and a half hours.

‚??Funny thing happend to me last week.
I realized I wasn‚??t going to die young.‚??
That happens to each of us except...
August 7, 2012
kinda long and raul is barely in it but i did like it.
April 18, 2012
A very classy production directed by the excellent Sydney Pollock, but for all of this films strengths, and there were many, the meandering story and rather cold characters weaken the overall film. It wants to be "Casablanca" in pre-Castro Cuba, but for all the it's self seriousness, the film never comes close to that level of greatness. However, it's still worth watching for the gorgeous photography and production design, as well as for some great performances, particularly Alan Arkin in a supporting role.
December 4, 2011
A wonderful well acted movie. It was sad at the end though whenever Jack & Bobby had to say goodbye.
½ September 11, 2011
I know why people compare Havana's story to Casablanca, but it's not a comparison that makes much sense and is, at best, extremely unfair. While this movie is far from being a masterpiece or a classic by any measure, but it's a good (albeit slow) story with solid dialogue and acting.
September 5, 2011
This last of the seven pairings of director Sydney Pollack and favorite leading man Robert Redford is a curious bird. On the one hand, it's a bloated, overwritten melange of not-so-subtle influences from Hemingway to Casablanca. On the other, it's a beautifully photographed, wonderfully acted film that tells the story of an aging card player (Redford) looking for the "big one" in Havana, Cuba as Castro's revolution reaches its peak. Redford is unsurprisingly solid and looks terrific alongside stunning Lena Olin, in the role that completed her Hollywood transition after her debut to American audiences in The Unbearable Lightness of Being. The film works best when it is just these two on screen. The love story works despite the whirlwind nature of it because these actors make us believe it. The Dominican Republic locations added texture to the photography and helped to sell the story, especially when Jack heads into the war-torn countryside in search of Roberta. If memory serves, the film was largely panned on release for what it was trying to be, but I choose to give the kudos it deserves for what it is: a slightly high-calorie love story worth a look.
½ August 6, 2011
Havana is beautiful to watch and historically interesting regarding Cuba, but it may have been better if it was truly a documentary. As it is, the characters seem unreal to me and inorganic to the film, especially Redford's character, Jack West. At the end, I couldn't help thinking the whole thing was a rather shabbily contrived vehicle designed to deliver a certain political message.
May 14, 2011
Great Bobby and Caddy.
April 10, 2011
Now that the flixster summary mentions it, the story in this movie is a lot like a Casablanca copycat. Anyway, I thought it was way too slow and dull, I didn't care a bit about the main character, he was so boring. The most interesting parts are skipped over, for example when Raul Julia's intriguing character is killed off quickly. And it just gets worse from there, changing from a thriller to a romance to a political drama and back again. It doesn't know where it's going.
February 14, 2011
Has some good moments and very atmospheric but way too long.
Best scenes: The 2 randy girl tourists who want to see the "real" Cuba>