Hawking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hawking Reviews

½ April 25, 2016
Not as good as Theory of Everything. Cumberbatch does well though.
January 28, 2015
Cumberbatch sensitively portrays Hawking's early years at Cambridge and the early development of motor neuron disease in a film that places as much weight on the humanity of the characters as much as the incredible science.
½ January 25, 2015
"We are very very small, but we are profoundly capable of very very big things." The combination of BC and BBC is incredible.
January 18, 2015
? ???????? "?????? ?????" ? ???? ????????? ? ???? ??????? ? "???? ? ????????" ? ?????????? ???????????? ? ???? ???????? ??????? ?? ??????????? ? ???? ???????. ???????, ????? ??? ??? ?????? ? ?????? ?? ????????????.
January 16, 2015
Cumberbatch in much younger years, playing a mostly pre-ALS Stephen Hawking. Moffat interplays the cosmic background radiation discovery of Penzias & Wilson as a intermittent backdrop. The tension between Hawking and Hoyle was portrayed to dramatic effect, but I wonder how they actually were as colleagues.
½ January 16, 2015
Cumberbatch was brilliant in this otherwise not-too-interesting biopic of Hawking. It was as if Cumberbatch took on Hawking's mind, passion, brashness, sense of humor, frustration and joys!
January 8, 2015
Benedict Cumberbatch gives an amazing performance in this movie!
November 29, 2014
The first film I saw Benedict Cumberbatch in and he was outstanding. I didn't think it was possible to so closely portray the symptoms of a person succumbing to a motor neuron disease. After I got past the uncanny physical portrayal, I became incredibly impressed with the bravery Dr Hawking showed after receiving his diagnosis, & his decision to continue his studies. Despite being told he had only two years to live, & that his death would be quite horrible‚"that he would essentially "drown" as his lungs simply ceased working‚"he proposed his theory as to how the universe was created. The film does a lovely job showing the way that his theory of the Big Bang was later proved by the Nobel prize-winning scientists whose instruments accidentally picked up a recording which was proved to be the"sound"of the Big Bang which still reverberates out in space. They portrayed Dr. Hawking without a great deal of angst‚"despite his diagnosis. There's definitely something about Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of scientists, & this one in particular, that made me incredibly interested in Dr. Hawking as a person, & has caused me to follow-up by reading one of his books as well as watching his television shows. This film also caused me to want to see more of Mr. Cumberbatch's work.
November 27, 2014
Great movie about a great man.
August 25, 2014
Whoa, Cumberbatch playing Stephen Hawking. Sounds like my cup of tea.
July 15, 2014
Brilliant performance by Benedict Cumberbatch, don't know why this film is not known a bit more.
April 18, 2014
A brilliant and humane biopic about the genius. Cumberbatch gives a wonderful performance, conveying all of the feelings one might believe someone in Hawking's situation might feel. Watching the bright, hopeful genius descend into a state where he had to talk through a computer was utterly heart wrenching.
A triumph!
½ March 25, 2014
Why are we here?? Where do we come from?
February 7, 2014
Quite a wonderful film that I found quite by accident on YouTube. I was showing my husband something on Stephen Hawking when, much to my surprise and joy, I found this film starring Benedict Cumberbatch, who I absolutely adore. And he knocked it out of the park with this one. His acting was out of this world. I totally believed his performance. The film on the whole was very good, only one part was a little laggy, the rest was wonderful. A solid 8.5/10.
February 7, 2014
½ January 13, 2014
"Can you hear me? Can you hear me? ..."
November 18, 2013
This is one of those movie that u considers as BEAUTIFUL
September 8, 2013
Five Stars for a Great and Wonderful movie!!
July 28, 2013
I saw this movie for Benedict Cumberbatch. I didn't even know who Hawking was. I mean everyone knows that he is some great mind who is paralysed. But how many of us really know what he really did. Why is so famous? So for a little exercise I googled him before watching this movie.
And I am glad that I watched this movie. Not only would you love young Benedict Cumberbatch's most challenging role but also you would grow respect for this man called Hawking and why is so great!
Just like the movie ended with a statement, I would end my review by modifying that and dedicating it to this movie- "There's a rare word we critics rarely use- Beautiful!"
½ July 10, 2013
It did justice to a great man. Very emotional; I thank the score and Benedict's acting for that. Great movie.