Hawks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hawks Reviews

September 27, 2015
This is my favorite movie of all time. I have watched it over 300 times. I am terminally ill, a very slow, painful death. This film taught me how to live again. It showed me that there is ALWAYS a rose among the thorns. If I get another tomorrow, then I will LIVE it. I was suicidal when i first saw this film, it literally saved my life.
All four main characters do an excellent job, in this very underrated film. When I was a professional bowler, I handed out red noses to those that asked for autographs, and to sick folks I visited in the hospital.
This is one of Mr Dalton's best performances. Taking this role was a risk, as it was between his two Bond films.
The best way I can describe this movie is "laughing through tears." Many do not know that this film is the inspiration for "The Bucket List."
I watch it at least once per month, and on those days when pain makes self pity knock on my door.
September 5, 2015
Low budget, fun, yet deeply moving piece of work. Looks at the attitudes to terminal illnesses. Some of the scenes will have you rolling in the aisles, while others will have you crying like a child. One of my all time favourites.
October 2, 2014
Timothy Dalton proves in this film that he has two sides: One, a playful character wanting to help others get through their suffering with his unique outlook on life, and the other, a character who does care and look out for his friend. And Anthony Edwards does a good job playing a patient struggling to cope with his terminal illness, who doesn't just serve as the foil to Bancroft, but a true friend to the end. While cheesy and silly at some points, 'Hawks' delivers a strong and well-focused plot, with good acting performances from our leads, and a rather good composed score made by former Bee Gee singer Barry Gibb.
½ August 12, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/6/2008)
July 24, 2013
This is like The Bucket List, only funnier, and with a darker and more crude sense of humour.
June 17, 2011
Likeable but pretty dull drama.
March 24, 2011
I truly enjoyed many facets of this bittersweet tale, and Timothy Dalton was extremely charming. It's very similar to 'The Bucket List', only it was released in 1989. To top it off, it contains an excellent soundtrack, featuring songs all written by Barry Gibb. Unfortunately, I had to knock off half a star for excessive swearing (especially God's name in vain) and nudity. This was so common in the 80s, and ruined some otherwise great movies.
November 26, 2008
Really dull about two terminal cancer patients throw caution and bedsheets to the wind and head to Holland for a brief spot of high-living and low-life.
½ November 22, 2008
An average movie. It wasn't very compelling for me, but it had its moments
August 12, 2008
I love this film! Don't be put off by the story line Whatch and Enjoy!!!
April 13, 2008
Although this is a very black comedy it's such a cool film especially the opening scene with Geoffrey Palmer in the Saab...you'll understand when you see.
April 13, 2008
The films I find most inspiring are the ones in which choices are needed to be made, not to ensure a happy ending, but in the full knowledge that an imminent unhappy ending is coming. Picture yourself as a terminally ill patient, in hospital, with no friends. Then Timothy motherfucking Dalton says you can lie there moping or you can steal an ambulance with him and go off for one last adventure to visit an Amsterdam whorehouse. You don't always get to "choose life", but you can sometimes choose how you meet death. Gloriously life-affirming stuff, and an example of gallows humour at its finest.
½ January 1, 2008
Absolutely brilliant. Heartwarming, charming, lovely, witty... I love this film!
December 19, 2007
a neglected treasure.
October 10, 2007
saw this years ago and loved it! been trying to get to be able to see it again ever since. great human story and characters and acting!
October 9, 2007
Go on Hazel, tell us when was twice!
September 20, 2007
Never seen this, but its number one still.
September 15, 2007
Fab film - saw it as a kid and i truly think it's the best film I have ever seen!
September 9, 2007
A fabulously warm hearted and touching film. I first saw it on a date when I was fifteen and didn't get it at all- I found it dull at the time. Watching it again nearly twenty years on I realised how wrong I'd been- it really is a wonderful film, enhanced if you're familiar with certain UK stereotypes. Look out for Rose Tyler's mum from Doctor Who!
September 1, 2007
one of my all time favourites!!!