Haze - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Haze Reviews

August 3, 2014
This is an amazing movie. It's strange, frightening .. a low budget made by a master director.
½ April 3, 2012
Tsukamoto's Haze is a nightmarish journey into the mind of man who is trapped in a tiny, cramped concrete structure knowing nothing of how or why he has arrived there. Tsukamoto's style is very prevalent in this film, using sound design and aggressive camerawork to put the viewer into this dark, nightmarish place. I would arge that his style fits this film better than almost any of his other films and it's just creepy and atmospheric as fuck. At 50 minutes in length, its a quick watch that packs an ambiguous ending that really grabbed me both intellectually and emotionally. I don't want to give anything away, but for me this film is essentially an allegory for our lives and loneliness and definitely another great thought-provoking piece by Tsukamoto.
½ September 13, 2011
a short horror movie which basically stretches out the first five minutes of any saw movie, when the victim slowly realises their fate. The ending seems to be there for the sake of an ending and nothing is explained to us as to why. Some people like having to fill in the gaps themselves, I'd rather be told what was in the brain of the writer rather than have to guess.
February 28, 2011
Um pesadelo claustrofóbico.
½ February 27, 2011
While watching this when it was very dark all I could hear was my Grandpa saying "turn on a damn light!"
November 4, 2010
My favorite Shinya Tsukamoto film and my favorite short film. This is a really viscera and trippy movie that leaves much to the audience's imagination. Also, there is relatively little dialogue, which suits the film perfectly.
September 10, 2010
Somewhat disturbing and ultimately satisfying experience. A must see for Shinya Tsukamoto fans.
August 15, 2010
Mal wieder auf den Spuren von "The Cube". Leider hat mich der Hauptdarsteller so sehr genervt, dass ich nach ca. 25 min. abschlaten musste. Schade.
½ July 2, 2010
Dam good....Watch in the dark
Makes not much sense lol
½ June 23, 2010
No entendí el final, tendre que verla de nuevo
April 4, 2010
die erste hälfte bringt 24 minuten verstörung im stil eines alten derben nine inch nails videos bevor etwas handlung und ein dialog ein bisschen licht ins dunkel bringen :o) gelungene nihilistische industrial-postpunk-perle.
February 1, 2010
This sounds REALLY interesting!!
I hope I will be able to source a copy.
½ October 22, 2009
An assault on the senses from the director of Tetsuo and Tokyo Fist, making the Saw movies look like a morning cartoon. Very interesting visually as well as thematically.
August 15, 2009
very reminiscent of the movie cube, only there's NO room to move around. the atmosphere is oppressive and there is very little light. this makes it hard to see sometimes but it really adds to the overall claustrophobia and fear that the character feels. has some silent hill-esque moments. not a bad flick
July 13, 2009
Very strange and creepy. To be expected from this director.
½ March 26, 2009
Although to be commended for its atmosphere, the drip-feed manner in which the plot unfolds makes for a tedious and frustrating first half of Haze. The film's second half invites far more thought, although this is still a film difficult to describe as enthralling.
February 7, 2009
Claustrophobic, minimal, basic and creepy as hell. It's amazing how effective a small and "simple" movie like this can be. Exactly the kind of movies I like : no action, no big scenes or over-explaining of every little thing that happens. Tsukamoto is in my top 3 of all-time greatest directors with Haze as one of the main reasons.
½ February 4, 2009
Maybe I was having an off day, but I didn't get any of the terror or claustrophobia everyone else seems to be getting. The constant quick cuts were making me feel sick and confused, and the vague 'plot' left me disinterested.
Plus 1/2* for the synopsis being quite interesting. Probably worth seeing if you're the sort of person who pretended Donnie Darko was interesting and understandable without the extra source material.
November 30, 2008
Short, and certainly not for everyone, but it's also a very claustrophobic and unnerving film. Shinya's never going to stop trying new things in his movies, and that's wonderful.
August 13, 2008
Dark & Claustraphobic.
Intense & Unnerving.
Psycholgical Horror At It's
Surreal & Disturbing Best.