He Died With A Felafel In His Hand - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

He Died With A Felafel In His Hand Reviews

½ June 3, 2016
Newer cult classic from Australia. One of the funnier titles out there and quite a funny film too at times. Some shabby souls share a shabby shack and they drink, dream and think about life. They are out of money and some fellas are forcing them to pay up by repeated threats. Well, their lives goes on as we are stuck with their silly ideas, philosophies and weirdness.

It's all right, it even has nice looking girls too, but it's never a good film for me. The flat sharing theme is big here, the girlfriend issue is a big thing here, but that's about it. A film I almost didn't watch, since I've had it laying around for many years. It was not a too rewarding experience when I decided to put it on, but it has some nice lines at least.

5 out of 10 fishfingers.
January 19, 2016
My expectations were possibly a little higher, seeing as the book is one of my favourites and I saw the stage play three times. As it is, the movie is slow-to-dragging pace-wise, perhaps trying to capture the languorous nature of east-coast-Australian share-housing, but in combination with a throughline peppered with non sequitur dialogue, the whole thing could come off as a brilliant arthouse film if only it were in a foreign language. Noah Taylor is interesting to watch as he stumbles through his own numbness but the emotional outburst at top of his arc feels unsatisfying. Hamilton, Bohringer, and Menglet do better jobs individually.
½ October 6, 2013
The film loosely follows the writer named Danny (Noah Taylor) as he moves in an out of three shared houses in Australia, introducing us to numerous over-the-top characters along the way. Attempting to film John Birmingham's novel of shared living arrangements was a big ask of Director Richard Lowenstein and the transformation from page to stage makes for one dull movie. The fragmented nature of the narrative does not suit the medium and the changes comparative to the novel only impede its comic appeal. The only highlight is a soundtrack featuring Nick Cave.
September 11, 2013
A decent Aussie 'comedy', that's really more of a existential drama of share-housing. Sure, some of it's surreal & a little crazy, but it's basically a bunch of self-centered narcissists sitting around talking. Sure, the 'romance' between Dan & Sam is nice, but nothing really happens in the whole 100min. Great soundtrack, though - Stranglers, Nick Cave, Spiderbait... Will have to read the book, which I'm sure is much better.
½ August 18, 2013
Hilarious start and end but not much to say for the middle. Great Australian humour in this one. Don't expect any amount of sophistication, just enjoy a movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator and does it successfully.
August 2, 2013
A touching yet hilarious look at the life of young Danny, an unemployed writer who by necessity, is forced to live in share accommodation in different cities in eastern Australia. As the story unfolds, larger themes of finding meaning and purpose in life are also skilfully explored in a whimsical manner under the direction of Richard Lowenstein. Noah Taylor is perfect as Danny and I've never seen Damien Walshe-Howling in such good form as he is here as Milo. This Australian low budget indie flick is an absolute gem and it is highly recommended!
½ April 8, 2013
Book was way better.
March 9, 2013
The masterpiece of the australian movie's school. An irriverent and funny take of the true life in the australian's shared houses.
December 9, 2012
I absolutely loved it. One of the best Australian films ever (even though there isn't many.) it was a very odd film, but was still great. the acting of Noah Taylor (Danny) was terrific. 5 star
October 16, 2012
Lowenstein balances the needs of the comedic pain with the exigencies of dramatic truth very well. Totally strange, quirky and profound. So outside the norms which is another reason why I enjoyed it so much!
July 29, 2012
Absolutely nothing like the book, which is inevitable, since the book is a collection of stories rather than a coherent linear piece of fiction. Still, this film is a little scatter-brained, with some funny moments. Entertaining enough in its own way.
½ July 9, 2012
I stumbled upon this little gem, and instantly fell in love with it. There's a certain charm to it. Noah Taylor kicks ass. A+
½ July 4, 2012
Bizarre, fresh, and quite funny. Very memorable.
June 16, 2012
recommended by sue2citysueful......
½ May 19, 2012
I don't think I "got" this. I do like to watch a good Australian movie, but, to me, this isn't one of them.
Stupid random little pieces of life in a share house. Unconvincing characters and acting (even though some of this cast are good and have liked them in better movies).
It seems I am in the minority here as a lot of people seemed to like this, but I just found it stupid. And I generally prefer art house films, so that shows how much I think this one sucked.
½ May 5, 2012
Interesting, unique and entertaining Aussie philosophical comedy.
½ April 17, 2012
Watched randomly one day on netflix and it was a cool, quirky little movie, and pretty funny to boot.
½ November 5, 2011
Couch surfers, writers, and wanderers rejoice! This flick is for you.

It's an epic voyage through the art of hopping from group house to group house, dodging all manner of batshit insane housemates. Definetelly alot of stuff I can relate too.
July 26, 2011
Probably one of the oddest films I've seen for a very long time. Interesting mix of a slightly Trainspotting-feeling with a generic senselessness. Quite an interesting bunch of personal stories in the film, never quite sure if I'd like to live through some of them or really just avoid.
Also good soundtracks. :)
July 22, 2011
Great dark comedy. Worth a watch. Loved the fridge magnets.