He Died With A Felafel In His Hand Reviews

• Sep 29, 2017

This is a truly dreadful and boring movie. A triumph of style over substance. Lowenstein is feeble as a film maker and the cast is unloveable, contrived and unengaging. This isn't Arthouse or avant guarded is just a mindless pile of dog shit masquerading as cinema. Lowenstein is a wanker and if I met him I'd kick him in th e balls. I gave this half a star because Noah Taylor had some on screen presence but inhabited the screen like some brat version of Nick Cave. This film is for wankers who suck balls.

• Jun 03, 2016

Newer cult classic from Australia. One of the funnier titles out there and quite a funny film too at times. Some shabby souls share a shabby shack and they drink, dream and think about life. They are out of money and some fellas are forcing them to pay up by repeated threats. Well, their lives goes on as we are stuck with their silly ideas, philosophies and weirdness. It's all right, it even has nice looking girls too, but it's never a good film for me. The flat sharing theme is big here, the girlfriend issue is a big thing here, but that's about it. A film I almost didn't watch, since I've had it laying around for many years. It was not a too rewarding experience when I decided to put it on, but it has some nice lines at least. 5 out of 10 fishfingers.

• Jan 19, 2016

My expectations were possibly a little higher, seeing as the book is one of my favourites and I saw the stage play three times. As it is, the movie is slow-to-dragging pace-wise, perhaps trying to capture the languorous nature of east-coast-Australian share-housing, but in combination with a throughline peppered with non sequitur dialogue, the whole thing could come off as a brilliant arthouse film if only it were in a foreign language. Noah Taylor is interesting to watch as he stumbles through his own numbness but the emotional outburst at top of his arc feels unsatisfying. Hamilton, Bohringer, and Menglet do better jobs individually.

• Sep 11, 2013

A decent Aussie 'comedy', that's really more of a existential drama of share-housing. Sure, some of it's surreal & a little crazy, but it's basically a bunch of self-centered narcissists sitting around talking. Sure, the 'romance' between Dan & Sam is nice, but nothing really happens in the whole 100min. Great soundtrack, though - Stranglers, Nick Cave, Spiderbait... Will have to read the book, which I'm sure is much better.

• Aug 18, 2013

Hilarious start and end but not much to say for the middle. Great Australian humour in this one. Don't expect any amount of sophistication, just enjoy a movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator and does it successfully.

• Apr 08, 2013

Book was way better.

Book was way better.

• Mar 09, 2013

The masterpiece of the australian movie's school. An irriverent and funny take of the true life in the australian's shared houses.

• Dec 09, 2012

I absolutely loved it. One of the best Australian films ever (even though there isn't many.) it was a very odd film, but was still great. the acting of Noah Taylor (Danny) was terrific. 5 star

• Oct 16, 2012

Lowenstein balances the needs of the comedic pain with the exigencies of dramatic truth very well. Totally strange, quirky and profound. So outside the norms which is another reason why I enjoyed it so much!

• Jul 29, 2012

Absolutely nothing like the book, which is inevitable, since the book is a collection of stories rather than a coherent linear piece of fiction. Still, this film is a little scatter-brained, with some funny moments. Entertaining enough in its own way.