He Got Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

He Got Game Reviews

April 29, 2015
Well, Denzel is his usual awesomeness! I truly believe that only he could pull off that scene at the cemetery! He is amazing! And the movie is good too! I was disappointed in several characters, like Uncle Bubba, Booger, and Sweetness, who were just slap sticky caricatures, in what seemed to be an otherwise serious story (Big Time Willie was pretty lame too!). And though artistically, I think using the music of Aaron Copland as part of the soundtrack to a story about inner city basketball and life was a bold, striking choice, I really don't think it worked. At times, the music was a distraction for me. But what made this a 3 star for me, and not a 4 or 5, is the horrible, ridiculously stupid ending in the gym. Why would anyone include that scene in a film like this? Did Touchstone, a.k.a. Disney, make Spike Lee put in such fantasy bullshit? Good lord, it is so lame! Wait - dead mother AND magical basketball ending? That IS Disney! F' you Mickey Mouse!
April 16, 2015
Amazing film Denzel Washington and spike Lee are golden
½ January 15, 2015
I Wanted Something More. So Much Expectation Though Ultimately Let Down.
November 10, 2014
Good Spike Lee flick. Denzel Washington gives another top notch performance as Jake Shuttlesworth. A man who seeks redemption by trying to reconnect with his son
November 10, 2014
½ September 9, 2014
Buried underneath all the excess (never has wall-to-wall music been more obvious or obnoxious) and heavy handedness is a very good movie that is aided by excellent performances all around. Worth a watch for any basketball fan just to see a young Allen carrying his own in his scenes with Denzel.
September 8, 2014
Denzel is fun to watch but that's the best thing about this movie.
½ August 27, 2014
Spike Lee loves Basketball, New York, the art of movie-making and Denzel Washington so it's no surprise that this is a really good film. The final half hour starts to come apart at the seams a little as it starts to slip into melodrama (the less said about the female characters here the better as well) but overall this is great. Worth watching for some of the Basketball scenes set to classic film scores alone. Some cracking Public Enemy tracks as well.
July 13, 2014
This movie got game!
½ July 3, 2014
Tighter editing - especially at the end, and this would be twice the film. Still worth a watch.
July 3, 2014
With a superb, fluent and dramatic visual technique (cinematography and photography plus spike's direction), He got game is one of the best or the best sport movie of all time. Visualy it's superb with some great performances by washington,jovovich and dawson and a magnificent score, He got game is one of spike lee's best movies.
½ June 21, 2014
Spike Lee, dare I say, is the first Hollywood spokesman of black culture, and what do you know, Denzel's involved with another one of his projects, "He Got Game".

"He Got Game" may just seem like just another basketball movie but underneath the hood is a compelling story about tension between a father and son. And for the most part, the story sells itself. Coupled with the great Denzel and even Ray Allen, there's a lot of opportunity. However, because this film was made near the beginning of the permeation of black culture into Hollywood, it fails to develop a true tone that encapsulates what black culture is truly about. Don't get me wrong -- Spike Lee vividly portrays the culture through the narrative, but the writing and the score becomes extremely tacky. Raw and gritty scenes occur throughout which is, at times, shocking but it's all paired with a very "Disney" like music. It's extremely jarring.

In the end, it's all about how effective the movie was. And was it? Absolutely. With the sharp direction from the eyes of Spike Lee, to the superb acting from Denzel, "He Got Game" not only sells itself as a captivating story, but also as a solid film.
½ May 23, 2014
Great movie, My favorite Spike Lee film.. Almost made me cry and I don't cry bro.
½ May 8, 2014
Both Ray Allen and Denzel Washington are excellent in this film. The script is interesting as it takes a serious look at the importance of sports in the American culture. I would recommend this interesting drama.
April 6, 2014
Pretty good Washington basketball drama. Oh, and Spike Lee's directing style is usable here for music, pop culture reference, they all work out well. The father and son relationship that is so inspiring that others should learn from. Again, this might be one of Lee's most underrated movie, and still this guy did some of the best movies of all time (Do the Right Thing, Malcolm X, 25th Hour)
March 28, 2014
He Got Game est un des film decisifs de la carriere de Spike Lee tant il represente en 2h15 le meilleur de l'auteur new-yorkais. Son talent de technicien y trouve un ecrin parfait pour s'exprimer (les plans sont tous magnifiques, pas une seule faute de gout), sa mise en scene est eblouissante (sa maniere de meler des scenes de playground avec de la musique classique est exceptionnelle), les acteurs sont resplendissants, avec un Denzel Washington qui n'a jamais ete aussi inquietant et le scenario traite de themes aussi importants qu'universels. Le plus impressionnant, ce que ce n'est meme pas son meilleur film.
March 27, 2014
Beginning-5Middle-5Ending-5= Great!
½ March 27, 2014
Denzel Washington gives an incredibly powerful performance, and Ray Allen is surprisingly good too. Spike Lee does a great job of creating characters that audiences are immediately invested in and making you care about the decisions they make in the film.
January 27, 2014
Ray Allen's jump shot? A 10. Ray Allen's acting? A 4. Like okay bro you're good at basketball.
January 10, 2014
Overlong, vulgar and graphic, still, "He Got Game" is a simple but acceptable sports drama with passion at its core from the director/writer Spike Lee.