He Got Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

He Got Game Reviews

January 6, 2014
1/6/2014: A pretty good movie with a good cast. Some of the acting was poor, but generally pretty good.
½ January 4, 2014
2014-01-04 pretty good but slow and quirky, and the very end was weird.
December 28, 2013
This movie was awful. I generally love sports movies too, so I was very disappointed. Ray Allen can't act, but one thing I enjoyed was the cameo appearances. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
September 12, 2013
Someone asks me today, "Joe, what is your favorite Spike Lee Joint?" I would say Inside Man, BUT this film gets a special mention in my collection. I have always been a huge fan of Denzel dating all the way back to when I saw Glory in the 7th grade. That being said, Denzel is in Inside Man, so case closed. I should say that I don't play basketball or too many sports for that matter, but I enjoys films about them for sure. Friday Night Lights, Eddie, etc. this film takes sports films and flips it on the ear. It is Sports-Drama which has been done before but not like Spike Lee can do it. I won't tell the whole story but Denzel has to get his son, Ray Allen to go to this one school for college so he can get out of prison early, and yeah. The cast is solid, Denzel, Ray Allen, Rick Fox, Rosario Dawson, Harper Hill, etc. I know its a serious film that has some laughs when needed and plenty of heart all the time. Most films can't pull off the frequent flash back film style but this is one that can. I don't know how to explain other than, you need to see this if you look good movies and sports, this is a perfect combination of the two.
August 20, 2013
Spike Lee at his finest here. My one gripe is the time; it's a little too long and could've been cut. However, the one-on-one scene concluding 'He Got Game' ranks up there with the best in the business.
August 17, 2013
I got game
She got game
We got game
They got game
He got game
It might feel good
It might sound a lil' somethin
But the fuck the game if it ain't saying nothin'
August 6, 2013
I have to admit that I watched this movie nearly 15 years after it first came out. However that probably means that I appreciate it more now considering how the film still manages to maintain it's message all these years later. Denzel Washington proves that he has 'got game' once again. He seems to have a knack for taking on roles where the audience is able to not only identify but also sympathise with his characters, and this is no exception. Considering he is not an actor, Ray Allen proved to hold his own on-screen and this was refreshing to see. Not sure there are many other basketball players out there that could have held there own on the same stage as an actor like Denzel Washington.
½ August 4, 2013
Typical Spike Lee: bizarre and interesting. Ray Allen's acting chops are the highlight of the film.
July 25, 2013
"Jesus" and "Booger" are two of the best character names ever.
July 21, 2013
Irresistible and strangely magnetic. From the soundtrack to the creative shots throughout, it's hard not to sit back and just enjoy the work as a beautifully flawed whole.
½ July 18, 2013
deep] a young boy pushed by his father who kills his mother that boy is the number b-ball in da world at 18 and has choices 2 make. spike lee had a fucking dream to make this movie up
July 18, 2013
1989's Do The Right Thing Is My Eighth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 14, 2013
Ray Allen fits surprisingly well in the supporting role
July 11, 2013
A great sports drama about a father played by Denzel Washington released from prison for a week in order to try and convince his son played by Ray Allen to sign with the governors alma mater, so that he'll be release early. There's a lot of insight on a future athletes pressure in HS and life. Great performances and the ending scene is brutally realistic. It also features one of the dopest sneakers ever the Jordan XIII. A good accessible Spike Lee joint!
May 27, 2013
Hit it up, worth it.
May 27, 2013
Hit it up, worth it.
½ April 17, 2013
I got game, you got game, that dude over there got game, my dog got game, etc.
½ April 2, 2013
Spike Lee's a great filmmaker, but has made his fair share of duds like this. I love Denzel Washington, but I really couldn't stomach Ray Allen. His performance was really annoying.
March 30, 2013
i would to see tgis movie
March 24, 2013
This is a decent film about murder an redemption. The choices in life and the difficult obstacles to be overcome. I found the original score that includes an orchestra in this urban basketball flick to be entirely absurd. It completely unbalances the feel of the picture.