He Got Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

He Got Game Reviews

March 28, 2014
He Got Game est un des film decisifs de la carriere de Spike Lee tant il represente en 2h15 le meilleur de l'auteur new-yorkais. Son talent de technicien y trouve un ecrin parfait pour s'exprimer (les plans sont tous magnifiques, pas une seule faute de gout), sa mise en scene est eblouissante (sa maniere de meler des scenes de playground avec de la musique classique est exceptionnelle), les acteurs sont resplendissants, avec un Denzel Washington qui n'a jamais ete aussi inquietant et le scenario traite de themes aussi importants qu'universels. Le plus impressionnant, ce que ce n'est meme pas son meilleur film.
March 27, 2014
Beginning-5Middle-5Ending-5= Great!
½ March 27, 2014
Denzel Washington gives an incredibly powerful performance, and Ray Allen is surprisingly good too. Spike Lee does a great job of creating characters that audiences are immediately invested in and making you care about the decisions they make in the film.
January 27, 2014
Ray Allen's jump shot? A 10. Ray Allen's acting? A 4. Like okay bro you're good at basketball.
January 10, 2014
Overlong, vulgar and graphic, still, "He Got Game" is a simple but acceptable sports drama with passion at its core from the director/writer Spike Lee.
½ January 10, 2014
É pouco menos que constrangedor reparar como Spike Lee arruína um dos seus melhores argumentos originais em "He Got Game". Se há um potencial enorme no melodrama do pai recluso, que obtém uma licença de alguns dias para convencer o filho pródigo a escolher determinada universidade (quando essa é a mais importante decisão na sua carreira de basquetebolista) para reduzir a sua pena de prisão, a maior parte das opções de Spike Lee, no tratamento dessa história, fizeram com que perdesse um excelente filme às mãos de todo o tipo de exageros. Compreende-se que Spike Lee aplique toneladas de estilo nesta ode visual ao basquetebol e a todos os sacrifícios que o desporto exige, mas nada disso obriga a que todas as mulheres no filme sejam representadas como agentes do mal ou a que a música sinfónica de Aaron Copland imponha um ambiente de ópera urbana mesmo em cenas de vulgar afecto familiar. Além disso, "He Got Game" demonstra uma enorme dificuldade em perceber quando deve terminar cada uma das suas cenas e parece que só o sempre impecável Denzel Washington (espicaçado por um argumento realmente cativante) impede que este seja outro dos joints desastrosos de Spike Lee.
January 6, 2014
1/6/2014: A pretty good movie with a good cast. Some of the acting was poor, but generally pretty good.
½ January 4, 2014
2014-01-04 pretty good but slow and quirky, and the very end was weird.
December 28, 2013
This movie was awful. I generally love sports movies too, so I was very disappointed. Ray Allen can't act, but one thing I enjoyed was the cameo appearances. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
September 12, 2013
Someone asks me today, "Joe, what is your favorite Spike Lee Joint?" I would say Inside Man, BUT this film gets a special mention in my collection. I have always been a huge fan of Denzel dating all the way back to when I saw Glory in the 7th grade. That being said, Denzel is in Inside Man, so case closed. I should say that I don't play basketball or too many sports for that matter, but I enjoys films about them for sure. Friday Night Lights, Eddie, etc. this film takes sports films and flips it on the ear. It is Sports-Drama which has been done before but not like Spike Lee can do it. I won't tell the whole story but Denzel has to get his son, Ray Allen to go to this one school for college so he can get out of prison early, and yeah. The cast is solid, Denzel, Ray Allen, Rick Fox, Rosario Dawson, Harper Hill, etc. I know its a serious film that has some laughs when needed and plenty of heart all the time. Most films can't pull off the frequent flash back film style but this is one that can. I don't know how to explain other than, you need to see this if you look good movies and sports, this is a perfect combination of the two.
August 20, 2013
Spike Lee at his finest here. My one gripe is the time; it's a little too long and could've been cut. However, the one-on-one scene concluding 'He Got Game' ranks up there with the best in the business.
August 17, 2013
I got game
She got game
We got game
They got game
He got game
It might feel good
It might sound a lil' somethin
But the fuck the game if it ain't saying nothin'
August 6, 2013
I have to admit that I watched this movie nearly 15 years after it first came out. However that probably means that I appreciate it more now considering how the film still manages to maintain it's message all these years later. Denzel Washington proves that he has 'got game' once again. He seems to have a knack for taking on roles where the audience is able to not only identify but also sympathise with his characters, and this is no exception. Considering he is not an actor, Ray Allen proved to hold his own on-screen and this was refreshing to see. Not sure there are many other basketball players out there that could have held there own on the same stage as an actor like Denzel Washington.
½ August 4, 2013
Typical Spike Lee: bizarre and interesting. Ray Allen's acting chops are the highlight of the film.
July 25, 2013
"Jesus" and "Booger" are two of the best character names ever.
July 21, 2013
Irresistible and strangely magnetic. From the soundtrack to the creative shots throughout, it's hard not to sit back and just enjoy the work as a beautifully flawed whole.
½ July 18, 2013
deep] a young boy pushed by his father who kills his mother that boy is the number b-ball in da world at 18 and has choices 2 make. spike lee had a fucking dream to make this movie up
July 18, 2013
1989's Do The Right Thing Is My Eighth Favorite Film Of All Time.
July 14, 2013
Ray Allen fits surprisingly well in the supporting role
July 11, 2013
A great sports drama about a father played by Denzel Washington released from prison for a week in order to try and convince his son played by Ray Allen to sign with the governors alma mater, so that he'll be release early. There's a lot of insight on a future athletes pressure in HS and life. Great performances and the ending scene is brutally realistic. It also features one of the dopest sneakers ever the Jordan XIII. A good accessible Spike Lee joint!