He Knew He Was Right - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

He Knew He Was Right Reviews

January 25, 2015
A heart warming and endearing film with strong characters and beautiful settings.
½ March 17, 2012
If you liked Downton Abbey or any of its "ilk" you will love this one. Well-acted and interestingly written.
July 8, 2011
The production is pretty good but the story is somewhat hard to identify with. Whether it the crazy-jealous husband, the obviously strange insistence of Osborn to behave in the way that he did, the whole affair with the French sisters. I have to say I saw this as the PBS edition, which cuts it to a 3-hour-story so I might have missed things which would have made it better
½ October 14, 2010
I rather enjoyed this nice drama, BUT I wanted so much to reach into my screen and slap that husband. Holy cow was he ever a total idiot. Obviously, he had some kind of mental illness that was causing him to act that way, and which finally did him in. Watching him just made me madder and madder. The movie was so nicely done, though, and the rest of the people were able to have happy endings. So...made up for it I guess.
½ August 2, 2010
This story was described as having a "juicy scandal" in it, which proves to be true. Yet, you're never entirely convinced as to who is "right". Did she or didn't she? The title alone made me want to see this. If you're a fan of period pieces and BBC dramas, you'll like this.
March 12, 2010
I liked this. As stated, a bit disturbing to see him totally lose it, but otherwise, e.g. vicar Gibson's story is really amusing. Chrisitna Cole is so beautiful and Nighy is great as always. Cosy and Nice!
February 15, 2010
The main story, centering on the marriage of the Trevalyn's, was too annoying for words. Whether Louis is supposed to be completely unlikeable and unsympathetic, or if it just seemed like that to me, I can't say. But the various subplots were pleasant- the one centering on the love triangle of Doctor Who, Agatha Christie, and Charlotte Lucas was especially entertaining.
½ December 26, 2009
The side stories were more interesting than the main story and more entertaining. Louis and Emily's problems got old really fast but I think it was dealt with nicely in the end. It was great to see Cole in a role that didn't require her to be mean or snobbish.
August 24, 2009
Quality costume drama with Nighy a fantatsic gentleman rake
½ March 7, 2009
Really good movie, but I did think it was sort of tragic.
February 24, 2009
A Victorian morality tale of jealousy that leads to insanity. An infuriating self-righteous prig, Louis Trevelyan (Oliver Dimsdale), is so convinced that his innocent, young, and beautiful wife, Emily (Laura Fraser), has betrayed him that he will not listen to anyone who tries to convince him otherwise. He goes to great lengths to prove himself right, by hiring a disreputable private detective, Bozzle, to spy on her. And, although the detective gets things wrong from the get-go and is found out, rather than admit he is wrong, the husband sends Bozzle back in to continue his surveillance. Several other romances are played out, between Emily's sister and a young journalist, the journalist's sister and a cousin by marriage, and the village vicar and a pair of silly sisters. If not for the maniacal self-deception of Louis, and his constant error of judgement and deed, this would have been a quite joyful tale, indeed. But, madness will not succomb to reason, no matter how prettily it is dressed. Bill Nighy is properly smarmy as the raconteur who sets the ill-fated events in motion. Well-done, if just a bit melodramatic.
December 2, 2008
Five stories all intermingled in some way. No end is left untied in this tragic but strangely beautiful story.
November 23, 2008
I just can't like Louis and Emily, but I love other characters like Aunt Stanbury, Priscilla, Nora and Hugh.
½ October 20, 2008
This was for me a bit disturbing...Watching someone lose their mind due to jealousy.
August 3, 2008
i was kind of disappointed with this film. it seemed to be 2 hours too long and a lot of repeated dialog.
July 20, 2008
My favourites were the old aunt and the journalist's sister. They make this worth watching.