The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter Reviews

September 18, 2011
Beautiful approach, as some of the more intimate & intense scenes were in sign language & silent. Alan Arkin came up. Beautiful performance & not one word of dialogue.
May 5, 2011
Excellent film, it dont get more sadder than this movie but it also dont get more truthful and honest about how selfish people can be. I wish everyone could watch this movie. Alan Arkin is incredible with this film, everyone i show this (as few as they are) always end up shocked at the end.
February 2, 2011
this is the perfect double feature for:spitfire grill, fried green tomatoes, the little foxes and a few others whose names escape me
November 25, 2010
Adopted for the screen by Thomas Ryan from Carson McCullers novel. It's a good story, but I thought the ending turned a unique story into a melodrama. Not having read the book I would suspect that McCullers story built up little by little to make the ending more plausible.

Alan Arkin and Cicely Tyson gave very good performances with Arkin's portrayal showcasing his acting ability. Sondra Locke was billed as "Introducing ...", this was her first movie and I believe she received an AA nomination for her role as Mick. I don't hate on Sondra but she is not a good actress and in this, her first movie role, you can see that her range never changed throughout her acting career.
July 30, 2010
Alan Arkin is usually remembered for his fatherly roles in the late 90s and so on. His earlier performances seem to have been forgotten. His role as the deaf mute John Singer is wonderful and touching. I loved this film.
½ June 13, 2010
"I am a deaf-mute. I read lips and understand what is said to me. Please do not shout."

'...and from this man who could not speak or hear, the girl heard many things. '
½ June 6, 2010
nice story of a deaf n dumb man who love music..
½ May 5, 2010
Decided to pick this movie up after seeing it on the library shelf & reading the back & Im so glad I did.A great movie from the start to the very sad end
October 13, 2009
I read the novel in freshman year of high school and was deeply moved by it. (Don't you wish you could go back and your former teachers that they made a difference, that something they introduced to you resonated?). Alan Arkin's performance was 'silent (well, it would be...), finely honed...deeply moving.

The film adaptation of McCuller's other novel 'Sister of the Bride' with Julie (?) was also stunning....tight...
½ August 23, 2009
Loses against the book due to shortening and leaving out some aspects, wins by beautiful visualization, Alan Arkin and Sondra Locke. I would recommend both book and movie.
August 15, 2009
Sondra Locke makes the movie.
July 28, 2009
Extremely profound performances by all stars in this little known gem (well, at least by the 2009 crowd). Alan Arkin and Sondra Locke give very real perfomances in this realistic view of a 1960s South and how life was at that point in time for Southerners. I wholeheartedly recommend seeing this one if you have not. Scene to make bigotted people think: "The judge left an hour and a half ago" (snicker, snicker). Makes me ashamed.
½ July 24, 2009
Good performances help out some very rich themes on alienation and prejudice in many forms and the interaction both have with disability. However, the direction is unsubtle for the most part, and the film comes off a bit clunky.
May 9, 2009
This 1968 film version of the wonderful book loses something within the screenplay, but not in the fantastic performances of Alan Arkin as a deaf/mute man and by Sandra Locke who plays the young girl in whose family home he becomes a boarder. Nice performances as well by Stacy Keach and Chuck McCann.
April 8, 2009
A perfect film for a rainy day...though it may leave you aching for the sunshine after viewing. This powerful drama centers around Alan Arkin who portrays a mute, Mr. Singer, whose love and insight impact all those around him. This film excels at allowing it's audience to fully understand Singer's frustrations with his desperate attempts to communicate with those who simply can't hear him...not because of his disability, but because of their own vices and predjudices. Though the pacing tends to be a bit slow at times, the sentiment and humanity of the story are more than enough to make up for it.
April 6, 2009
Another great movie I really enjoy seeing again and again. Alan Arkin was brilliant as John Singer.Also a memorable first performance by Sondra Locke.The book and film bear little resemblance, I saw the movie long before I read the book but I still enjoy them both.
½ March 26, 2009
For film that garnered multiple oscar nominations in 1969 this film has really flown under the radar over the years. I guess competing for critical attention alongside other New Hollywood classics like Easy Rider and The Graduate might do that to a film, but really this is worth checking out. Quite depressing but does a great job of addressing some pertinent issues of the time.
½ November 12, 2008
Have yet to read the book... but think the main idea by McCullers/ script is a strong one. One of the few films where I've seen a point of view from a deaf-mute, and how he communicates in everyday situations, from helping out his (also deaf-mute) brother who is autistic(?), to renting a room, to reading lips, to working as a jewellery maker... definately draws me to read the book! He weaves the lives of others into his own, helping them out and yet he is still not fulfilled... mostly I think because he is a listener and unable to really communicate his own needs (via signing-- not many people in his life knew it, outside of his brother). Terribly sad, thought provoking film... it's a dated 60's film, but don't be fooled... this won't fail you on the enjoyment factor.
September 16, 2008
nominated for best picture at the golden globes