Hearts in Atlantis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hearts in Atlantis Reviews

August 24, 2017
Eh, I think the movie has good acting, and there were some interesting incidents/moments in the story, like when Bobby uses his mind-reading for that trick at the carnival. But I didn't think the story as a whole was that great. It was just fine. 6.5/10
½ August 19, 2017
So much potential. Sadly directionless and in the end leaves you feeling empty.
½ August 4, 2017
Really enjoyed the book, but this adaptation doesn't even come close to capturing what made it special.
July 25, 2017
The film was a very very poor adaptation of the first chapter of the book. The ending is totally wrong and incorrect. The film has Bobby Garfield as a photographer, where as in the book he is a carpenter. In the book, he meets up with Carol Gerber at the end, in the film he doesn't. The film doesnt do any justice at all, and should be avoided at all costs
½ July 15, 2017
Sentimental overload.
½ July 13, 2017
Superior King adaptation. Rock solid child acting and Hopkins playing everything perfectly.
½ May 4, 2017
Ted Brautigan is quite the enigma, and Anthony Hopkins does the part well. I'm still not sure I understand who exactly he is, but I enjoyed the movie. The 1960 period setting was neat. (First and only viewing - 9/24/2014)
November 13, 2016
I happened apon this movie without ever knowing anything about it. I couldn't stop watching and wound up caring for the characters and crying during some scenes and laughing out loud in others.
Bravo!
½ September 25, 2016
A rather unknown Stephen King film. It's pretty much going back over old ground which is probably not a bad thing for fans of the better films of his books. This is attempting to be emotional and heart warming but, despite having one of the most decorated actors in the lead role, falls pretty short. It's not a bad film though, just ok.
August 31, 2016
This is a movie that is well worth the admission. There are many parts of life and society that are represented, usually in an understated way, yet are some of the most important ones in almost all people's lives. Hits more heavily against brutality against women, but not over the top anti-male, but close. This is the only reason for a deduction of one star. Great acting for all principles, and not just Hopkins. Simplicity is sometimes the best acting, not the Method (results in way too any weird people).
August 9, 2016
Hearts in Atlantis is shooting for childlike nostalgia ala Stand By Me, and it's period piece stuff is nicely small and honest. Unfortunately, its whimsical tone and supernatural mystery elements never quite overcome the emotionally oppressive melodrama.
March 15, 2016
A well-put-together and unusual mixture of trite and flavorful. With a fairly strong emphasis on the latter.
December 19, 2015
The only reason I give it one is Anthony Hopkins. That is it! Everything else SUCKS!
June 4, 2015
Hopkins and Yelchin shine in this adaptation of a King short story....not the best of Kings adaptations but entertaining.
February 28, 2015
Interesting film. I wish some elements of this film were better explained, but I suppose that's to be expected of a Stephen King adaptation. But still, I like how well the time period is portrayed here. It gives the viewer a good sense of nostalgia.
February 21, 2015
another awesome pic based on Stephen king short story.
December 11, 2014
Good movie. Hearts in Atlantis isn't completely new in the family drama mixed with mystery man thriller, but with that general air of a King adaptation involving childhood, the supernatural, and "reunion," it brings some great performances from Yelchin, Boorem, & Hopkins, and an entertaining story.
½ October 23, 2014
This is where the film cynic in me comes out. Technically there's nothing wrong with 'Hearts' but its a movie that's just so wholesome, so vanilla, so non-threatening that it never feels like anything is at stake
½ October 7, 2014
While it won't reinvent the wheel of coming-of-age films, 'Hearts' is still a well produced tale in its own right. Huge part of this goes to.two solid leads in Hopkins and Yelchin, as well as solid direction and some strong emotional 'punches'.