Hearts in Atlantis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hearts in Atlantis Reviews

August 31, 2016
This is a movie that is well worth the admission. There are many parts of life and society that are represented, usually in an understated way, yet are some of the most important ones in almost all people's lives. Hits more heavily against brutality against women, but not over the top anti-male, but close. This is the only reason for a deduction of one star. Great acting for all principles, and not just Hopkins. Simplicity is sometimes the best acting, not the Method (results in way too any weird people).
August 9, 2016
Hearts in Atlantis is shooting for childlike nostalgia ala Stand By Me, and it's period piece stuff is nicely small and honest. Unfortunately, its whimsical tone and supernatural mystery elements never quite overcome the emotionally oppressive melodrama.
March 15, 2016
A well-put-together and unusual mixture of trite and flavorful. With a fairly strong emphasis on the latter.
December 19, 2015
The only reason I give it one is Anthony Hopkins. That is it! Everything else SUCKS!
June 4, 2015
Hopkins and Yelchin shine in this adaptation of a King short story....not the best of Kings adaptations but entertaining.
February 28, 2015
Interesting film. I wish some elements of this film were better explained, but I suppose that's to be expected of a Stephen King adaptation. But still, I like how well the time period is portrayed here. It gives the viewer a good sense of nostalgia.
February 21, 2015
another awesome pic based on Stephen king short story.
December 11, 2014
Good movie. Hearts in Atlantis isn't completely new in the family drama mixed with mystery man thriller, but with that general air of a King adaptation involving childhood, the supernatural, and "reunion," it brings some great performances from Yelchin, Boorem, & Hopkins, and an entertaining story.
½ October 23, 2014
This is where the film cynic in me comes out. Technically there's nothing wrong with 'Hearts' but its a movie that's just so wholesome, so vanilla, so non-threatening that it never feels like anything is at stake
½ October 7, 2014
While it won't reinvent the wheel of coming-of-age films, 'Hearts' is still a well produced tale in its own right. Huge part of this goes to.two solid leads in Hopkins and Yelchin, as well as solid direction and some strong emotional 'punches'.
½ October 4, 2014
Ted Brautigan is quite the enigma, and Anthony Hopkins does the part well. I'm still not sure I understand who exactly he is, but I enjoyed the movie. The 1960 period setting was neat. (First and only viewing - 9/24/2014)
September 13, 2014
One of the best movies ever!
August 29, 2014
Anthony Hopkins is always doing great, so the Stephen King's adaptation and this drama is surprisingly King's style indeed. "Heart In Atlantis" is a good study of character and a not-average film about nostalgia a glory of childhood.
April 28, 2014
Directed by Scott Hicks (Shine (1996) and Snow Falling on Cedars (1999)), this is a loose adaptation of Stephen King's 1999 short story collection Hearts in Atlantis, the film version, adapted by William Goldman, takes Low Men in Yellow Coats and Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling, and makes a film of them. It is an unusual film, and it makes for a moving and slightly mawkish drama. Bobby Garfield (David Morse) returns to his hometown to bury a childhood friend, and it reminds him of his childhood when he was an 11 year old boy (Anton Yelchin) in 1960. Then, he was living with his mother Liz (Hope Davis), who was struggling to make ends meet. To make a bit of extra cash, they take a lodger in, the mysterious Ted Brautigan (Anthony Hopkins). Bobby takes a liking to Brautigan, and even reads the paper to Brautigan due to his failing eyesight. But, it becomes apparent that Brautigan has telekinetic powers, while at the same time Bobby grows up with his friends Carol Gerber (Mika Boorem) and John "Sully" Sullivan (Will Rothhaar). It might have been better had the whole book been adapted, but it would have been too episodic and it would have been at least 3 hours long, which Goldman wanted, but it was cut down before filming started. But, it manages to be engaging for the most part, but it could have been much more.
April 1, 2014
I have just watched it for the first time in over ten years, and it is outstanding still to me. Wonderfully acted, emotionally gripping, this movie reminds us that we can't relive the past, but we can at least remember it.

This may be the most underrated movie I have ever seen
January 10, 2014
This film wants so bad to be Stand by Me. Or any Stephen King adolescent piece. But it just doesn't have the material to work with. Like that film it's based off a short story leaving plenty of room for expansion. Unlike that movie the expansions add nothing new. I saw this movie years ago so I barely remembered the main plot, I just remembered the evil mother and the cautious first romance. The coming of age story succeeds fairly well, even though it's not as good as others in that genre. Unfortunately, that isn't the main plot of the film which is a supernatural story that ends really anticlimactically. There are some great performances here by Hopkins and Yeltchin, and a really bad one by Davis as the mother. God was she annoying. But in the end, nobody could save this film from itself and make it into the classic it desperately wanted to be.
½ December 27, 2013
I've always felt like 'Heart's in Atlantis' heart is in the right place. I'm sentimental for it.
November 16, 2013
A deeply moving piece. Whatever its inadequacies in addressing "blunt truth", it is perfect for watching on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Anthony Hopkins delivers a touching performance, and the plot, reminiscent of magic surrealism, is of a good standard.
October 11, 2013
There doesn't seem to be much of a storyline, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the Sixties soundtrack!
There are some good scenes, but the plot just meanders along without any sense of direction!