Hearts in Atlantis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hearts in Atlantis Reviews

October 11, 2013
There doesn't seem to be much of a storyline, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the Sixties soundtrack!
There are some good scenes, but the plot just meanders along without any sense of direction!
½ August 30, 2013
Not as good as Stand by Me but still really good.
½ August 3, 2013
Based on Stephen King's weakest collection of novellas, the story just never seemed to captivate me.
½ July 16, 2013
Hopkins is great, but I found myself waiting for a climax that never arrived. Disappointing.
April 13, 2013
A simply great movie,"One by which all others should be measured!"
½ March 29, 2013
"Sometimes when you're young, you have moments of such happiness, you think you're living in someplace magical, like Atlantis must have been? then we grow up and our hearts break into two."
March 21, 2013
I was recommended this one by a friend, knowing of my two year journey through Stephen King's Dark Tower novels. I was expecting a fleeting mention of the series but to my delight got a full-blown companion to the final Dark Tower novel, which I'm reading at the moment. In the book, Ted Brautigan (Anthony Hopkins) is one of the main characters, but King portrays him as an ambiguous character with good intentions, but could be interpreted as a villain. Hearts In Atlantis answers many of the questions posed in that story, which will delight fans of the series.
March 18, 2013
Such a weird yet great film with Anthony Hopkins. Kept my eyes on this film from the start through the end. Watched it twice and still want to see it again.
March 18, 2013
After reading the Dark Tower series some years ago it was great to see the story on screen. Though not quite true to the book(s) it still felt it had the general tone covered well which is somewhat rare for a Stephen King movie. It did make me long for the Dark Tower to come to life on the big screen but at the same time I am fearful as to how bad they are going to screw that one up.
February 17, 2013
Can't remember a damned thing about this.
½ January 22, 2013
I really like this film. Weaved the shorts of the book together pretty tightly. Very well done.
January 16, 2013
I absolutely love this film. Its really good. The acting is superb from Hopkins and the storyline is excellent. It was well worth watching and the book of the film is good too. If you haven't seen it you should i bought it on dvd its that good.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
November 14, 2012
This is one of my favorite movies, that i had never seen in a while, and would buy it one DVD just to watch it again. Man it's been a long while since i've seen this movie, i just can't imgine myself getting any older.
½ November 5, 2012
Actually really liked this film. There were bits that could have been explained a little more, but no doubt the book will fill in those gaps. Stand out performances by both Anton Yelchin and Anthony Hopkins. Highly recommend this if you've not seen it yet.
½ October 28, 2012
Words Can't Describe How Beautiful This Movie Really Is and Hopkins Is Superb!!!
½ September 20, 2012
Two kids, Anton Yelchin and Mika Boorem, are making a very good job supported by Anthony Hopkins. The story tastes like a dream of childhood.
September 16, 2012
"Stand by Me" meets "The Fury". It's a classy production all around, but the story meanders and lacked a clear focus. I felt it should have chosen to be either a coming of age tale about Hopkins mentoring young Bobby Garfield or it should have been about Hopkins being in hiding and on the run for mysterious reasons. However, the film is held together by excellent performances all around (I particularly liked Alan Tudyk in a pre-Firefly one scene role) and memorable scenes sprinkled throughout. The odd combination of wonder years nostalgia and elements of more typical Stephen King supernatural intrigue make the film unique, it still doesn't quite all come together. It's not a bad film but it feels like a missed opportunity for something that could have been great.
½ September 2, 2012
9/2/2012: A nice movie.
August 22, 2012
*** SPOILERS*** This movie misses the entire point of the story because it omits a full half to two thirds of the story told in the book. It skims over the real intent of the 'low men' and completely changes who (what) they really are. It even skips the story that it takes its title from, 'Hearts in Atlantis', about a bunch of card playing college freshman. Many liberties were taken with the ending of this movie as well. Let's just say that Bobby never really got that bike and Carol Gerber was still alive (in the book) and those are only a few of the changes made to the original plot.

This movie has managed to take all the mystique out of the original story. If you want to find out what really happens, you should really read the novel. It is not so much a short story collection as it is a collection of stories about of interrelated lives that comes full circle at the end. In other words, don't judge a book by its respective movie. In this case there is no comparison.

I gave this movie two stars based on the talent of the actors involved, and an additional star because if you have never read the book it would be moderately entertaining.

Oh, to those savvy few, they have completely removed the Dark Tower from this version of the story. This is unacceptable. All things serve the Beam.
Long days and pleasant nights.