Heartstone (Hjartasteinn) Reviews

• Feb 14, 2019

SUPERB FILM...A VIRTUOSO PERFORMANCE FROM DIRECTOR TO ACTING..HIGHLY RECOMMEND

SUPERB FILM...A VIRTUOSO PERFORMANCE FROM DIRECTOR TO ACTING..HIGHLY RECOMMEND

• Sep 29, 2018

Que Linda historia de amor y amistad en los sitios más remotos de la tierra. Un aplauso para estos jóvenes con mucho talento

• Jul 06, 2018

Me gustò el estilo tan cercano y natural.

Me gustò el estilo tan cercano y natural.

• Jun 09, 2018

An honest and heartbreaking depiction of early teen life and burgeoning sexuality along with some of the accompanying confusion.

• Feb 04, 2018

A coming-of-age from Iceland. The initial impression was not very good. Made me uneasy to watch. Because there were some inhumane shots. They all looked so real. So I thought I would going to hate this film. But I did not. It was only in the opening, like a small black spot in something beautiful. Soon the scenario had changed. Jumped into tail two friends, their activities. That's understandable to show us their bond and what to expect in the latter parts. This is a children's film, but teenager's. So like at their age, it's desperate to learn about the opposite sex attraction. Most of the time it won't be pleasant. The teens have their own way to explore it. So the film was focused on their take on the sexuality. Come-of-age theme where the majority revolved around friendship. Definitely a good awareness film, but very intentional storytelling. Especially the twist and the conclusion. For me it was intentional, because I've seen plenty of similar films. But I don't think you and others would think that way as well. Kind of easy to guess how it all turns out at the end, but when you see them in pictures, the experience is different. In a small remote town of Iceland, it's about a time for two teen friends to find out their sexuality. Their families have issues, but nothing stopping them to wandering around everyday, hanging out with the girls, doing stuff like anyone of their age would do. When one of their small mischievous events is taken seriously by their parents, the things begin to change forth. They are not same anymore. The long standing friendship is tested now. But how the story ends was conveniently told. -xX] No makeup! We look gay enough already. [Xx- This is a gay themed film, though not right from the beginning or too deeply dived to narrate the tale from that angle. But like usual, it highlighted how still in some places the word gay is still a sin. All you can learn about it from the kid's perspective, how they are sidelined among their ages. You could say that they were yet to learn the meaning of it, but the case is not the same with their elders too. Not focused enough on the adult characters, yet the film reveals their society is not open enough for all kinds. I have seen a lot such awareness film about LGBT, this is another that tells about the Iceland's version of discrimination. Totally respect the film and filmmaking, because it's made with a good intention. Though like I have mentioned, the opening was not pleasant. Opened with a brutal tone which did not stay that way henceforth. Being an animal and a nature lover, I could not stand for it. Other than that, there's no reason to dislike the flick. In some way, that was a step taken in the transformation of the characters. That's what it's all about, the meaning of coming-of-age, is not it! Well, for a such theme, the actors usually are fresh faces. So they all performance so good. It was a directional debut for the filmmaker as well. Awesomely written and made. Won many film festivel awards. I particularly loved the countryside scenic. Just same as what I've seen from the Kiwi films that set in the rural areas. As much as they focused on the story, it had very pleasant backgrounds that synced so beautifully with what it had narrated for us. It had been in my watchlist. We put films into that list when something interesting element triggers. So now I'm happy to scratch it off. Mission accomplished! It surely stood to the expectation and so do I now recommend it for others as well. 7/10

• Nov 09, 2017

"Heartstone" isn't a film about coming out or being gay - it's a film about growing up. Guðmundur Arnar Guðmundsson's debut confronts realistic issues that some coming of age films don't dare address - including discovering one's sexuality without the heterosexual assumptions and expectations of men. It's cinematically breathtaking, whether it be the intimate and atmospheric shots or the strikingly entrancing scenery of Iceland. At first, the film feels as if it's going to be along the lines of most coming of age LGBTQ dramas, and though it does contain many common thematic situations it contributes an original story to both gay and straight cinema. "Heartstone" doesn't rely on the heartbreaking experiences gay youth face, rather it shines with the captivating performances from Baldur Einarsson and Blær Hinriksson combined with the anxiety of tense situations and tight, blurred camera shots. The enormity of the film - the depth and seriousness of the story captured - doesn't reach its full effect until credits roll. But once it sinks in, it won't let you go for quite some time.

• Aug 26, 2017

very good and touching movie

very good and touching movie

• Jul 23, 2017

The best coming of age movie for years! very detailed, fresh, honest and from the youngsters point of view.

• Jun 22, 2017

This coming-of-age film tackles self-acceptance, exploration of masculinity, and sexual awakening but is too cold and too repetitive to make a lasting impression.