Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heaven Reviews

January 27, 2013
Interesting Tykwer. His last efforts.
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
December 2, 2012
Don't ask me what happened. Because I had no idea what was going on half the time. But I love the actors, it doesn't matter.
November 25, 2012
Good, but forgettable.
½ August 21, 2012
A movie I stumbled upon on TV, ended up watching the whole thing. Not bad, enjoyable.
August 16, 2012
With Twyker directing, Kieslowski writing, and Blanchett starring, this was always going to be elegant and worthwhile. It's beautifully shot and acted, with a story which takes for granted the idea that Italian police are completely corrupt. No need to consider the ending, this was worth watching for its beauty. Not real life,by the way!
½ July 6, 2012
Beautifully filmed, methodically paced, and acted with both depth and nuance, Heaven is perhaps best described as a post-modern drama and thriller, with a distinct art house/indie film vibe. Cate Blanchett is her usual brilliant self, and her quiet intensity is well matched by Giovanni Ribisi, in perhaps one of his most impressive roles. Their chemistry, and the amazing cinematography, keep the film consistently engaging. However, the script does have some shortcomings, especially in the third act, with an incoherent ending. Both characters aren't well developed enough to have us fully appreciate their motives, or their end game, which is distracting. In addition, the pacing of the film becomes uneven, especially towards the end, making it occasionally drag. But this is offset by what it does well, as well as some strong dialogue.

3.5/5 Stars
June 24, 2012
Two good actors -- Blanchett, overwrought and awkward; and Ribisi, in one of his best pertrayals --are wasted in a dumb plot.

At the crux of the plot's problem is a supremely stupid act that Blanchett's character carries out. The illogic of the screenwriters is mind-boggling and turned me off right away. Here it is (spoiler alert):

How can Blanchett, who plays a teacher and a smart woman, so badly miscalculate that her bomb will not create collateral damage?

From there, the rest of the movie seems ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the silly ending -- a helicopter as deus ex machina. Can you say ludicrous?
May 21, 2012
Very slow to start, when if fires on, it fires on seriously. It's not with action scenes or special effects that raise it's level, what most work are the whispers and the silences, long and deep. "At the right moment, you have to do what nobody expects." it's not just a quote taken from the movie, it's also the direction that the director gives to it. Expect the unexpectable, until the end.
May 8, 2012
Heaven is a beautiful and thought-provoking film. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, with many breathtaking images. The beautiful Italian countryside is highlighted by some striking aerial photography. The screenplay by Kieslowski is interesting, complex, and subtle. Cate Blanchette play...read mores Phillippa Paccard, a goodhearted schoolteacher who is driven to murder. When things go awry, she is arrested and questioned. The movie follows her evolution through hate and revenge, to horror and repentance, and finally to love and understanding. She gives a riveting and complex performance. The movie is a welcome alternative to the usual Hollywood fare, the but be prepared for a relatively slow pace. You will be rewarded.
½ April 6, 2012
Tom Tykwer's Heaven is a film which I feel like I should have liked more than I actually do. Honestly, I am not entirely sure why I didn't like it more. Going into the film I had no idea that Krzysztof Kieslowksi wrote the screenplay, but in the end it made a ton of sense. It's a film that examines fate and the complexities of morality, looking at deeply flawed humane characters, which tend to be recurring themes in Kieslowki's work. Cate Blanchett is really fantastic in this film as this deeply flawed woman who has to deal with the guilt of killing four individuals in a bombing, missing her actually target because of unforeseen chance. While the film is full of great ideas and features some great moments of intimacy, I never felt as emotionally connected as I probably should have. The film is beautifully composed with Tykwer using an abundance of wide shots which I interpreted as a statement about how tiny the individual is int he scope of the universe and fate. I guess I just had some trouble accepting Giovanni Ribisi's characters decisions as they felt more necessary to the story than actually genuine. An interesting work for sure, but I couldnt help but wonder what Kieslowski would have done if he got the chance to direct it.
March 31, 2012
This film STARRED Cate and Vanni....whats w/ the credits?????
March 21, 2012
Giovanni with an accent, :D
March 2, 2012
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Giovanni Ribisi, Remo Girone, Stefania Rocca, Alessandro Sperduti, Mattia Sbragia, Stefano Santospago, Alberto Di Stasio, Giovanni Vettorazzo, Gianfranco Barra, Mauro Marino

Director: Tom Tykwer

Summary: Deeply disappointed by law enforcement's lax investigation following her husband's drug-related death, Philippa Paccard (Cate Blanchett) takes the law into her own hands and ends up imprisoned in this moody romantic drama from director Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run). Filippo (Giovanni Ribisi), a police officer involved with Philippa's questioning, falls in love with her and helps her escape, as they flee together to the Tuscan countryside.

My Thoughts: "The film has a beautiful back drop. The concept was interesting but failed to succeed in delivering a great thriller. Since there is little character development, you don't develop enough emotions for these character's to really care what happens. I wasn't convinced of the romance between Philppa and Flippo. I didn't see the right kind of chemistry brewing for them to make me believe they could be in love. When Flippo's father asks Philippa if she loves his son, I was so certain she would say no. But besides the lack of chemistry, there was a lack of action. I get the quiet thriller aspect of it, but there could have been a little bit more going on to keep the interest. It's a slow burning, but visually beautiful thriller that some will have the patience for where other's will try to stay awake to finish it. But as usual, Cate and Giovanni give stellar performances."
March 1, 2012
Cate Blanchett is superb in this film. First time I see Giovanni Ribsi and he is also very good. This film has a great atmosphere and is really worth seing
January 19, 2012
Most of the movie is okay, but another strong ending for Tom Tykwer.
½ December 10, 2011
Wanted to like this one more. Starts off great but loses steam along the way. Take your chances this is a definite hit or miss.
November 20, 2011
I love Cate Blanchette and a nice suspense flick.
November 19, 2011
Heaven m─> n─>kolikr├ít dostalo do filmov├ (C)ho nebe a Tom Tykwer potvrzuje, ┼ 3/4e je kvalitn├şm a odv├í┼ 3/4n├ 1/2m re┼ 3/4is├ (C)rem.P┼(TM)├şb─>h u─?itelky v dokonal├ (C)m pod├ín├ş Cate Blanchett, kter├í se rozhodne pro zoufal├ 1/2 a po┼íetil├ 1/2 ─?in, kter├ 1/2 ji do┼ 3/4ivotn─> poznamen├í, proto┼ 3/4e ─?lov─>k m├şn├ş, ┼ 3/4ivot m─>n├ş...Skv─>le ji sekunduje i Giovanni Ribissi, kter├ 1/2 potvrzuje svou v┼íestrannost, kdy je mu jedno jestli hraje sajkou k├ímo┼íe Earla Hickeyho, nebo do v├şru ud├ílosti vta┼ 3/4en├ (C)ho a pod vlivem osudov├ (C) l├ísky jednaj├şc├şho italsk├ (C)ho policisty.V┼íe nav├şc v m├şsty dechberouc├şch italsk├ 1/2ch exteri├ (C)rech s nimi┼ 3/4 se Tykwer┼»v kameraman mazl├ş a div├ík ┼ 3/4asne.Opravdu v┼íechny slo┼ 3/4ky sn├şmku funguj├ş na jedni─?ku, t├şm v├şc jsem byl zasko─?en sice kr├ísn├ 1/2m, ale ne─?ekan├ 1/2m koncem sn├şmku.Pr├ív─> jeho stop├í┼ 3/4 je pro m─> z├ísadn├şm probl├ (C)mem pro ud─>len├ş pln├ (C)ho hodnocen├ş.Kdyby ┼íel sc├ (C)n├í┼(TM) v├şce do hloubky a v├şce n├ím p┼(TM)ibl├ş┼ 3/4il osudovost a bezv├ 1/2chodnost cel├ (C) situace, ┼íli bychom nad dv─> ho─?ky a po┼ 3/4itek by to byl, v─>┼(TM)├şm, intenzivn─>j┼í├ş.Takto ve mn─> p┼(TM)i prvn├şch end credits z┼»stal pocit, ┼ 3/4e chci v├şc...Ale mo┼ 3/4n├í pr├ív─> to byl Tom┼»v z├ím─>r.
½ October 15, 2011
Heaven is a quietly profound meditation on love, justice, and morality. A thinkers thriller, that sidesteps tension for thought, and dialogue for silence. Heaven revels in paradox; is it morally wrong to commit a sin to bring about good consequences?

From there the story flows. That is the opening, what follows is an interrogation heavy second act, and a moody poetic third act. Interestingly the tone is maintained, and what is created is a singular vision, where everything meshes.

Phillipa leaves a bomb in a building to kill a man. Things don't go as planned, and 4 innocents end up dead. She was prepared to sacrifice her life for justice, this man was responsible for her husband and students death, now she has committed evil in order to stop it. Her grief is staggering.

While being interrogated a young cop falls in love with her. He helps her escape. She only agrees so that she can kill the man, she doesn't want to escape punishment. Killing him is atonement for the death of 4 innocents on top of the revenge quotient.

The young cop, Fillipo, escapes from the city with her. He tells her that he loves her. He looks at her with such longing, and assuredness. The type of love which needs to reason or explanation, something felt so deeply and completely he feels at one with her.

And by the end they do seem to be one. With both of their heads shaved, and wearing te same clothes. With few words spoken between them, and none directly about what they feel, you believe it. When you have given up your life for another, what greater love can there be? It needs no words, because words wouldn't do the feeling justice.

Cate Blanchette is phenomenal. She is perhaps the finest actress of this generation. She has such power, and is compelling, while playing her character straight. She never milks a scene, or tried to evoke a response. She is natural and resolute. Giovanni Ribisi is also one of the most underappreciated character actors around. His performance is subtle and restrained, and remarkably perfected.

The ending is poetic, but allows te characters to sidestep their penance foe their crimes, they've killed a man together, and she an extra four. Does falling in love grant you asylum from your sins? As they float up, you wonder how high they can go, before the weight of their past drags them down.