The Heavenly Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Heavenly Kid Reviews

June 11, 2016
Dorky teen is given a guardian angel who transforms him into a cool dude. Oh and the angel is from the 1950s
February 19, 2016
Yes, it's predictable but I really liked it.
November 24, 2015
I think I may have seen the worst movie ever...
June 19, 2015
Classic 80's (cult) movie.
February 26, 2015
Somewhat humorous but not greatly acted and the plot is quite dumb. Actually, the timeline puts the high school kid at about 20 at the youngest and shows how sloppily put-together this film was.
February 20, 2015
Teen meets his father in the form of an angel in this silly 80s comedy. There are some good moments in this movie but not enough to be entertaining.
October 23, 2014
Guy comes back to help a kid after he died so he can get in heaven.
October 19, 2014
This used to be one of my favorite movies when I was a little kid. The 80's music dates it horribly at times, and it is a bit cliche, but I still can't help but being entertained. Worth watching, but also worth remaking.
July 20, 2014
I'm not sure what it would have been like in the eighties, but it isn't watchable today. It makes for a long ninety minutes. (First and only viewing - 6/30/2014)
½ May 3, 2014
Okay so it's not the greatest movie in the world and it is a bit 80's corny, but somehow this comedy seems to work at times. But that's the problem as it doesn't know if it wants to be a feel good movie or a after school special. I used to love this movie as a kid but now that I'm grown up, I can see why kids would like it more than adults.
½ October 31, 2013
Another movie I watched countless times. A classic for those who knew how to enjoy a simple, fun story with a great message attached.
May 4, 2013
Somewhat humerous but not greatly acted and the plot is quite dumb. Actually, the timeline puts the highschool kid at about 20 at the youngest and shows how sloppily put-together this film was.
½ May 4, 2013
actually a very sweet film.
April 28, 2013
A predictable, yet enjoyable, comedy. I'm pretty sure this was on HBO everyday, after school, from 1987 to 1994. Admittedly, my affection for it is largely based off of that nostalgia.
½ March 21, 2013
So predictable, but a precious gem of all movies.
January 15, 2013
Predictable 80's film that does not make sense.
October 27, 2012
Reminded me a bit of "It's a Wonderful Life" except here a prospective angel is sent to earth to earn his wings by helping a high school "spazola" score with the hottest girls in class and by teaching him how to be cool. A wonderful story.
October 2, 2012
I'm going to start setting up my reviews a little differently and seeing if it sticks.

PLOT: Bobby gets over-cocky in a car race in the 60s and dies. He tries to get into Heaven,but first he has to prove himself to God and with the help of an angel,Rafferty,he has to give Leonard,a nerdy spaz in the 80s,the life he never had. The plot is somewhat new and old at the same time. The only thing is that it is PAINSTAKINGLY predictable. Only two things in here took me by complete surprise. It is inspirational and heartwarming at times,but it all turns cheesy in the end.

ACTING: Overall, standard. No outstanding performances at all. Though,being a fan of Jane Kaczmarek from "Malcom in the Middle" I liked her heartwarming style.

SCORE: The soundtrack was the best part of the movie,really. Some songs fit in so well,that it gives you the sense of "Yep,this is an 80s film". But it is a good score overall,especially the title song.

OTHER CONTENT: As a believer in God and Heaven,I did not like how they depicted Heaven as "Uptown",Hell as "Downtown",and halfway there as "Midtown". I also didn't like that the transport to Heaven was a subway. A SUBWAY! I would rather die again then take a subway to Heaven.

OVERALL,it's a heartwarming and inspirational,yet cheesy and predictable,movie with great score and horrible religion.
October 1, 2012
Movie is okay for the 80's the graphic seemed real at the time, but watching it in 2011 opened my eyes that it's really cheesy. The overall story was too predicted, I guessed that his mom was the angels old girlfriend. What do you know? I was right. TOO PREDICTABLE.