The Heavenly Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Heavenly Kid Reviews

August 24, 2012
I love this movie makes me cry but at the same time makes me laugh.
May 11, 2012
One of my all time favorite 80's movies. For my review check Sweep The Leg Podcast.
April 9, 2012
A father, Bobby, reunites with with his son after a 16 year absence. He tries to buy his son's forgiveness through drugs, alcohol, and sex. After almost killing his son twice, Bobby's parole officer Rafferty separates the two.
April 5, 2012
Not bad, but a little cheesy for an 80's flick.
½ March 11, 2012
This was a very entertainment movie and I really enjoyed it. This is your typical 1980s movie, with comedy and touching moments.
½ August 10, 2011
Delightful film has guardian angel from 60s sent back to Earth to assist a nerdy teen in the 80s. Offers valuable and timeless lessons not only on how to be cool but also on the importance of being cool.
June 15, 2011
½ June 1, 2011
Cute and predictable, cheesy 80's!
May 22, 2011
Somewhat humerous but not greatly acted and the plot is quite dumb. Actually, the timeline puts the highschool kid at about 20 at the youngest and shows how sloppily put-together this film was.
May 2, 2011
I'm going to start setting up my reviews a little differently and seeing if it sticks.

PLOT: Bobby gets over-cocky in a car race in the 60s and dies. He tries to get into Heaven,but first he has to prove himself to God and with the help of an angel,Rafferty,he has to give Leonard,a nerdy spaz in the 80s,the life he never had. The plot is somewhat new and old at the same time. The only thing is that it is PAINSTAKINGLY predictable. Only two things in here took me by complete surprise. It is inspirational and heartwarming at times,but it all turns cheesy in the end.

ACTING: Overall, standard. No outstanding performances at all. Though,being a fan of Jane Kaczmarek from "Malcom in the Middle" I liked her heartwarming style.

SCORE: The soundtrack was the best part of the movie,really. Some songs fit in so well,that it gives you the sense of "Yep,this is an 80s film". But it is a good score overall,especially the title song.

OTHER CONTENT: As a believer in God and Heaven,I did not like how they depicted Heaven as "Uptown",Hell as "Downtown",and halfway there as "Midtown". I also didn't like that the transport to Heaven was a subway. A SUBWAY! I would rather die again then take a subway to Heaven.

OVERALL,it's a heartwarming and inspirational,yet cheesy and predictable,movie with great score and horrible religion.
May 2, 2011

March 16, 2011
The only reason I watched this again is, because it is one of the first movies I remember seeing - way back in 89/90 when we got MNET. Probably totally forgettable movie for most, but I still remember that night quite well.

Most movies you have a nostalgic memory of is often ruined when watched again, but I wasn't that disappointed.Well rounded characters and the basic story hasn't been ripped off that often since. Probably not enough vulgar humour in to be called a straight up comedy anymore, but I was still reasonably entertained.

Extra 1/2 star for nostalgia ;p
January 19, 2011
A predictable, familiar, old story, but like Back to the Future, says something about the 80s. Mostly this movie is entertaining, and I liked it.
½ December 29, 2010
It was heartwarming but dull at timePr
December 11, 2010
Love this Movie ever since I was a kid and every time I see it, it gets better and better! Brings back so many memories of the 80's! Good Times!
½ November 25, 2010
A heart felt story with bad acting. A good idea but not a good portrayal. awkward acting and storyline but story was good and original. Carrey Medoway was not the right man for the job.
Fav Character: Melissa (modest is hottest)
September 6, 2010
'Thou shalt be cool!'

'Back in the 60's, on a dark deserted highway, Bobby and his '57 Chevy bought it at 90 miles an hour. Today he's making a comeback.'

'1962 was a bad year for Bobby. First he drove 300ft over a cliff, then they wouldn't let him into heaven...'

Bobby: I got it covered.

Lenny Barnes: [picked up from Bobby] I got it covered.
April 28, 2010
Cliched 80's fun. Cute leads too.
½ February 27, 2010
Back when I watched this film as a child, I never noticed the inaccuracies in the age from the characters. The storyline is daft, silly and predictably funny; but, it's the eighties, so the film is allowed those first two traits. It's appealing to know that The Heavenly Kid still hasn't lost it's touch on entertaining me, even though it's filled with numerous plot holes. But, it's a heart-warming classic that shouldn't be passed up.