Tin heng tse (Heavenly Mission) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tin heng tse (Heavenly Mission) Reviews

December 1, 2010
satisfying rousing epic action thriller which requires viewer to invest in its characters. focusing on 3 main characters (mostly cheng's) it depicts the political power and internal struggles beautifully. well done! wonderfully filmed saga!
July 10, 2010
asian movies.. are just awesome
i watched it but not from the beggining..so
February 17, 2010
the whole point is that a coffee with sugar and milk is not coffee any more
February 2, 2010
Stephen Fung is soo cute. i like him soo much.
October 9, 2009
Can someone explain to me what I just watched? I am absolutely lost. And why is Alex Fong in the Credits? I don't remember seeing him at all!
April 18, 2009
A rather dull affair. The only notable thing about this movie is Alex Fong acting.
January 23, 2009
Able scriptwriter James Yuen directs his own manuscript. For a character-driven drama, Heavenly Mission is a rather shallow deal. I blame Ekin Chen and Stephen Fung. Alex Fong seems to me the only actor in this unholy trinity adding some depth to his character.
½ November 28, 2008
Absolutely a HK-made rubbish film...
August 18, 2008
A triad drama moreso than any kind of action film which the summary might imply... when does Alex Fong use any of these anti-terrorism techniques he just learned? This is definitely not a "hip martial arts thriller." Anyways, a mediocre film with the always brooding Ekin Cheng reprising his gangster role, but a reformed one this time. Autumn Yip is only believable because Cheng is playing him with his history of the Young & Dangerous series, otherwise he's the silent brooding character we have come to expect from Cheng. Somehow Yip is trying to convince the world that he is now a reformed gangster, even though some of his old crew refuse to accept it. This ultimately is the plot point as the police try to bust Yip for doing nothing wrong while one of his gang decides to try to take out Yip and not accept his ways, once a gangster always a gangster.
July 23, 2008
I'm not sure where the title was derived. There's a mission alright but I'm not sure how it was heavenly. Ekin Cheng plays Autumn Yip, a big time triad boss who was incarcerated for eight years in a Thai prison. On his release, he is apparently a changed man planning to do something "big."

Hearing someone planning something "big" often denotes something ... well... big. However, what transpires is Autumn organizing his old gang and organizes a series of goodwill gestures, entering into legitimate business, donates to the poor, visits orphanages, etc. What the...

While it's a decent drama about a gangster wanting to thread the path to goodness and shed his evil ways, the film falls a bit flat. Ekin Cheng doesn't really fit the role very well. He actually fits the role of the good side of Yip but somehow, it was hard to imagine Ekin Cheng being notoriously bad.

To provide the "dark side" of Autumn Yip is Ghost (played by Stephen Fong). The two are highly contrasted, Yip being too stoic and righteous while Ghost is emotional, rash and even detestable. Yip is constantly reminding the audience that he was once like Ghost and is constantly advising Ghost to "go study" and change his ways. It would have been better is Ekin Cheng's character have bouts of guilt and remorse over his past deeds, providing better realism on how conflicting it is to one day be evil and the next be good. But unfortunately, Cheng plays it cool like he's always thinking about reports he has to make in the office.

Half of the movie is also dedicated to the police side. Seems the Hong Kong police presses the panic button and forms a task force to serve as a preventive measure against any bad deed Yip may try to do. So we see policemen chasing Yip around, harassing him at every turn hoping he'll do something illegal...which Yip doesn't do.

It's a bit confusing for me and a bit of a letdown. Seems being good on the big screen may not be as exciting after all.

Story: 5/10
Boredom Factor: 5/10
Pace: Medium
Talk to Action Ratio: 7:3
Watch Again Rating: 3/10
Overall: 4/10
½ March 28, 2008
good to see ekin back to doing good films
January 15, 2008
great movie! better then expected =P
½ November 20, 2007
Plots don't make sense. (VCD 2007)
November 19, 2007
All I gotta say is, if Ekin Cheng is in the movie and it's a gangster film, you can't go wrong. Hands down.
November 4, 2007
Seems like Kowloon ?室
½ October 21, 2007
Chan Ho Nam is back! Well not really... this film to me is an unofficial ending to Chan Ho Nam of the Young & Dangerous movies. In it Ekin Cheng is Autumn Yip... a notorious triad member during the 90's (like Chan Ho Nam) who has just been released from 8 years of imprisonment in Thailand. Autumn returns to Hong Kong hoping to start a new life and to clear his good name but Ghost (Stephen Fung), an up and coming member in the triad society wants to make a name for himself at the expense of Autumn.... so yeah the plot is nothing out of the oridinary but it's worth a viewing if you are a Y&D fan... because Ekin's not going to be around for another one of these in my opinion.. No complaints over in the acting area because everyone featured are veterans.
½ August 25, 2007
I was expecting an action movie but it turned out to be drama. A bit disappointed but it's still pretty good although the story is like "another same old similar story".
½ July 20, 2007
Didn't expect much but quite surprised that I enjoyed it.
July 5, 2007
not really interested
June 17, 2007
A typical HK cop thriller with solid acting and thankfully not too sentimental.