Heaven's Prisoners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heaven's Prisoners Reviews

February 20, 2017
I enjoyed the film. A little bit long. I surprised at the low ratings. It is entertaining
April 20, 2015
It would be nice if you could combine the two movies, taking the good aspects from one (Tommy Lee Jones, the elegiac tone, etc. from the sequel, and the more coherent and compelling application of plot and world-building from this one) and ditch all the bad stuff. I feel like this movie's parts are less than those of its sequel, but the sum ends up being more in some way that I can't really explain. I'm kinda surprised at how poorly this is rated, I found it pretty entertaining.
July 15, 2014
For the first 45 minutes, an interesting story set in an interesting location with an interesting cast threatened to overcome the awful acting, dialogue, characters, motivation, and accents. But then the movie went on for another hour-and-a-half.
January 22, 2014
very strong performances from alec baldwin as an ex cop down on his luck who quit his drinking problem a year ago and is finding returement a bit uncomfortable and lost his wife to some thugs who killed her one night and eric roberts as a mob boss who is old friends with alec badwin's charcater and a sexy perofrmance from terri hatcher. a good story and wonderfully executed.
January 5, 2014
Saw it in theater when it came out, have loved it ever since.
March 27, 2013
Heaven's Prisoners is a mediocre movie - the kind one expects from the no-name made-in-Canada movies. It has this problem where the bad guys just kill their enemies in cold blood, whereas the hero - even though he is an ex-cop - can only shoot the bad guys in self defence. So the ways the movie deals with eliminating the bad guys can be quite convoluted.
½ November 13, 2012
Very forgettable thriller starring some talented actors.
July 19, 2012
One of the best American movies ever, not a typical Hollywood one, but beat a crap of any action or thriller.
½ July 3, 2012
There are actually some good moments in this film, but not even Teri Hatcher's breasts can compensate for the wooden, sweat-laden intensity of Alec Baldwin, who drags the film down to a speed that makes a sloth look hyperactive.
November 15, 2011
It was watchable and at times interesting. I had my issues with it. I thought the little girl would have more of a significant part of the mystery but then it just turned into a routine revenge flick. The foreshadow with the cup rings was good, but it was just too bland of a movie, and Teri Hatcher being the culprit was fine, but what was her motives really? I shouldnt have to question it if the movie covered its basics.
½ October 10, 2011
HEAVEN'S PRISONERS (1996)
July 20, 2011
This film is a master piece !! Well written , great casts and a perfect plot, from the moment the plane goes down it's non stop action on the edge of your arm chair stuff! And not to mention the sound track-by Gorege Fenton , they do not make films of this calibre any more , I even enjoyed the sequel to this film but I personally missed Alec Baldwin,s fantastic performance , he really through himself into this caractor , God only knows why it grossed only 5 million at the box office , anyway if you want to see a great movie , watch this nOw.
June 20, 2011
Poor film based on the James Lee Burke novel. Not even a full frontal nude Teri Hatcher can save it.
February 21, 2011
Heaven's Prisoners is a seriously underrated movie that very few people have seen. Granted it's not a perfect movie by any means. Alec Baldwin does a less than stellar southern accent and the plot could be trimmed down easily without losing any of it's effectiveness. But this is also a great New Orleans movie, and by that I mean pre-Katrina Big Easy New Orleans. Adapted from James Lee Burke's beloved series about a ex-New Orleans police detective and directed by the also underrated Phil Joanou, this is a film I keep coming back to again and again.
January 24, 2011
Best part of this movie are the scenes and music of New Orleans
December 2, 2010
Great Movie. Eric Roberts is outstanding!!
August 3, 2010
July 23, 2010
A plodding, tedious thriller with performances ranging from average to downright awful (Take a bow, Ms. Hatcher).
xxdebxx
½ June 5, 2010
Ex-cop and ex-alcoholic Dave Robicheaux (Alec Baldwin) and his wife Annie (Kelly Lynch) move to the Bayou where they open up a bait shop and seem to be living the perfect life. One day while the couple are out on the Bayou a plane crashes nearby their boat. Dave goes in to try and save the passenger's lives. Everyone is dead except for a little girl. The couple takes the young girl back to their place where they plan on raising her but one day Dave gets a visit from DEA officer who informs Dave that the plane crash wasn't an accident but a murder plot, which Dave has messed up. Dave uses his detective skills and asks questions about the plane. His inquiries lead him to Bubba Rocque, played by Eric Roberts, a childhood friend who claims that he is innocent and his wife Teri Hatcher who seems to have plans outside of her husband's affairs. In the process, his wife is killed and the film becomes one of revenge to determine who is behind all this mayhem. If you're an Alec Baldwin fan, you might enjoy this movie, as I did!
June 1, 2010
A cool bayou flick with Alec Baldwin, Eric Roberts and Teri Hatcher.