Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

November 18, 2017
LOVE THIS MOVIE. Incredible cast, music, and everyone
½ April 6, 2017
C+
As fun, funny, and energetic 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' may be, its jumbled story and the way things are put together don't give me the emotional resonance I need to feel the way that John Cameron Mitchell's portrayal of the stage transvestite feels.
March 10, 2017
Quite simply the greatest film of all time. Saved my life, and will never leave me.
March 7, 2017
One of the most underrated movies of all time, also one of the most underrated musicals ever. It has an amazing cast that doesn't go along with any of the musical movie cliques witch is amazing and helps it. Hedwigs story kept me enthralled, and even made me cry. Best movie ever.
½ January 13, 2017
"Hedwig and the Angry Inch" is maybe the most captivating, boldest, funniest, and most touching underground rock musical you've probably never heard of.
½ November 11, 2016
Interesting plot with good characters and good music
September 9, 2016
Such a great movie! The music is awesome! I'm so excited to see this on stage!
½ July 5, 2016
I began viewing with very little expectation, the title card seemed quite flimsy and cheap. But I was completely blown away by how fantastic this film was. The story itself symbolized freedom of a refugee who escaped East Germany and came to America to start his own band. The musical numbers were quite catchy and well sung. The acting was perfect from Mitchell. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is the next cult movie after Rocky Horror Picture Show.
½ June 23, 2016
'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' is a mixed bag for me. Some elements work brilliantly (Hedwig's relationship with Tommy and journey to embracing her identity) while others fall absolutely flat (the subplot about Hedwig's fellow bandmate). The songs though, are an absolute treat and wildly catchy. Color me interested in finally seeing the stage version!
May 14, 2016
A low budget story about a transsexual German singer, a lighthearted look at his/her childhood of sexual abuse and his/her struggles with the angry inch, which refers not only to the backing band but also to the leftovers of a rather unsuccessful sex change operation. This is a black comedy which some people will enjoy. The boundaries are pushed a little in a sort of Todd Solondz direction but ultimately this film was padded out by lots of songs which failed to be very funny really.
½ March 21, 2016
This movie shows a a whole spectrum of gender constructions. The main character (Hedwig) shows a conflict inside herself. She identifies neither as a woman or a man. This movie shows how wide the gender spectrum can be, and forces the audience to think about all the gender a sexuality aspects that aren't seen at first sight. A good movie, a little weird the first time you watch it,
½ July 31, 2015
So, because teleportation doesn't exist (...yet), I don't really have the opportunity to go see the insanely successful Broadway revival that's been going on for over a year and is a revolving door of stars. So, this is the next best thing. And I say that in the best way possible. I love this movie. It's funny, heartbreaking, boundary pushing, and has really catchy music to top it all off. You really can't beat John Cameron Mitchell as Hedwig. He did create the role after all. Miriam Shor (who I totally didn't realize was Yitzhak until like five minutes in), is always wonderful to watch. Seriously, I love everything I've seen her in. But, I'm just going to keep gushing about this, so all I'm going to say is watch this movie. And go see the Broadway show (for me).
July 20, 2015
The film equivalent of Magic Johnson's 1980 Finals Game 6 where he played every position, scored 42 points and led the Lakers to a big win. John Cameron Mitchell delivers in a triumphant way.
July 12, 2015
It's a difficult task to adapt a stage musical into a movie but Hedwig hits all the right notes in its tradition from stage to screen adding more clarity to some foggy moments from the stage show including more cast members to play out the scenes rather than Hedwig playing most of the parts in scenarios. John Cameron Mitchell is excellent as Hedwig and does an excellent job juggling the lead actor and director roles. For being an independent film, the production values are really great especially the animation added during "The Origins of Love". It has great cinematography, hair, make up, costumes, and sound. Miriam Shor is also great as Hedwig's lover and all of the band members are great. Andrea Martin stole every scene she was in and made a great addition to the story as did Michael Pitt as Hedwig's other lover at a time, Tommy. This definitely is being added to my favorite musical movies list
July 7, 2015
A quirky film. A musical that, instead of everyone breaking out in song, it is Hedwig's "concerts" that showcase the music. It is hard to describe this movie other than to say it is a weird mix of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and The Wall.

On a side note, the director could have replaced himself with Rosanna Arquette, and I would never have noticed.
½ July 5, 2015
Visually breathtaking and masterfully shot, John Cameron Mitchell's translation of he and Stephen Trasks' extraordinary play becomes even better in cinematic form. Not to be missed.
½ June 23, 2015
Hedwig is a frantic but honest film about introspection and searching for the self. Hedwig's story, his songs and what they lyrics transmit gave us an idea of this search for identity, love and happiness.
May 9, 2015
I liked the songs a lot, but it took me a while to get into the story.
½ April 24, 2015
Six inches forward, five inches back!
½ April 20, 2015
Ridiculously campy and ridiculously entertaining, the movie does suffer a bit because of some pedophilic overtones, but mostly the film triumphs thanks to its unforgettable style and performances.