Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hedwig and the Angry Inch Reviews

December 10, 2014
To quote a lyric from the film, this adaptation is "shining like the brightest star". Lift up your hands!
November 29, 2014
Hedwig & the Angry Inch is great film-making with it's engrossing story, brilliant performance from John Cameron Mitchell and a fantastic soundtrack.
November 15, 2014
A very interesting story....
½ October 18, 2014
Very charming, very easy to see why this is such an underground hit. For all of its humor and bluntness, it stays super grounded and sincere-- manages to never become kitschy -- which is really the charm of both the character and the movie.
½ September 28, 2014
Funny, deep, and poignant. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a rock musical, which is not just about a forgotten transgendered whose songs got stolen. It is about acceptance, tolerance, and a temporary hope that the aforementioned will ever become a universal thing. It has great songs with profound lyrics. But most importantly, it has the amazing performance of John Cameron Mitchell (his directing is awesome too), who fills the screen with a myriad of emotions, opinions, and songs. I really want to see the stage musical now.
June 8, 2014
Now that Neil Patrick Harris has us rediscovering what a grand play this is it may be time for us to rediscover what a terrific film it was.
May 10, 2014
Liked the music. Rest was kind of dull.
½ April 10, 2014
It's a shame how much of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" gets lost in translation from stage to screen (particularly the heartbreaking metaphorical value of Hedwig and Tommy being played by the same actor), but that's ultimately a testament to how good this adaption really is. John Cameron Mitchell is absolutely electrifying in this tragic and beautiful rock-and-roll fable. The music is ridiculously great.
½ April 8, 2014
This film isn't just some crazy glam rock tribute, in fact its a musical with serious emotional substance. Probably one of the few times where the significant changes to the source material contributed to the success of the film adaptation.
March 11, 2014
It was all these years later I discovered Spinal Tap and The Rocky Horror Picture Show had a legitimate, bratty, moody child--sexually ambiguous and rocking wickedly hard.
March 3, 2014
The music was very fun, but the character of Hedwig made it worth watching. Excellent overall.
½ February 9, 2014
Trippiest Media Class screening ever.
January 2, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie. added t my favourites list
November 9, 2013
Our Friday Night Movie! Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Rotton Tomatoes says: "Hedwig and the Angry Inch may very well be the next Rocky Horror midnight movie. It not only knows how to rock, but Hedwig's story has an emotional poignancy." Movies, bonfire, campfire popcorn....Friday Night at Dark 30....be here...dress warm....enjoy!
November 3, 2013
hail hedwig!
great rock soundtrack, great directing and the film director himself all but inhabited hedwig - the most charismatic on screen transgender i've seen so far.
the movie'd make you laugh, leave you exhilarated, leave you on a positive high note.
the soundtrack's gonna be on repeat play on my itouch for the next week at least.
½ October 8, 2013
first off the songs were surprisingly good, it was so very unique and definitely what something i hadn't seen before. John Mitchell is one of the better looking transvestites out there. Instead of most musicals where a song is worked into a scene they just show the bad preforming it which was different. The comparisons to rocky horror are obvious but this movie is way better.
September 1, 2013
Such a beautiful story about a transwoman whose faulty operation left her with a one inch penis, hence, the angry inch.
The story of Hedwig is told through cartoon animations and songs that she wrote. She tells us of how she was born in Germany when the Berlin wall was built. Hedwig and her mother ended up remaining on the communist East side of Germany. Hedwig tells us of how she met her first lover, an American soldier who ended up leaving her later. Hedwig later met Tommy. The two of them shared their love of rock music and performing. While Hedwig was already well experienced with music and performing live, she helped Tommy become one of America's most popular rock stars, Tommy Gnosis.
As Tommy is majorly popular, Hedwig created her own band that travels around America performing small gigs at restaurants and other small venues to try to make a name of themselves and so Hedwig may feel whole as who she feels she is, despite her angry inch.
John Cameron Mitchell gives a hell of a performance and I cannot wait to see NPH take on the role on Broadway.
Hedwig and the Angry Inch, I give you a 100%.
August 12, 2013
Going into this movie, I was terrified--TERRIFIED-- that it was going to be like Rent, and that's something that no musical should ever be; anything like Rent. No, no, unlike Rent, this musical isn't offensive in its portrayal of LGBT individuals, it has a plot, it has great music that you could listen to just on its own (especially 'Wig in a Box' and 'Wicked Little Town'), and actually feels like a damn movie instead of footage from a live performance. This movie is such a good metaphor for life: You don't always get what you want, people aren't always going to understand you, you don't always get a happy ending. That's such an important message that audiences just don't get often enough. This movie is now and forever will be one of my favorite movies.
July 17, 2013
Fun movie, but man, that was a lot of songs.
July 2, 2013
Brilliant!!!! The most brilliant and innovative movie musical adaptation ever!!!