Hedwig and the Angry Inch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hedwig and the Angry Inch Reviews

September 1, 2013
Such a beautiful story about a transwoman whose faulty operation left her with a one inch penis, hence, the angry inch.
The story of Hedwig is told through cartoon animations and songs that she wrote. She tells us of how she was born in Germany when the Berlin wall was built. Hedwig and her mother ended up remaining on the communist East side of Germany. Hedwig tells us of how she met her first lover, an American soldier who ended up leaving her later. Hedwig later met Tommy. The two of them shared their love of rock music and performing. While Hedwig was already well experienced with music and performing live, she helped Tommy become one of America's most popular rock stars, Tommy Gnosis.
As Tommy is majorly popular, Hedwig created her own band that travels around America performing small gigs at restaurants and other small venues to try to make a name of themselves and so Hedwig may feel whole as who she feels she is, despite her angry inch.
John Cameron Mitchell gives a hell of a performance and I cannot wait to see NPH take on the role on Broadway.
Hedwig and the Angry Inch, I give you a 100%.
August 12, 2013
Going into this movie, I was terrified--TERRIFIED-- that it was going to be like Rent, and that's something that no musical should ever be; anything like Rent. No, no, unlike Rent, this musical isn't offensive in its portrayal of LGBT individuals, it has a plot, it has great music that you could listen to just on its own (especially 'Wig in a Box' and 'Wicked Little Town'), and actually feels like a damn movie instead of footage from a live performance. This movie is such a good metaphor for life: You don't always get what you want, people aren't always going to understand you, you don't always get a happy ending. That's such an important message that audiences just don't get often enough. This movie is now and forever will be one of my favorite movies.
July 17, 2013
Fun movie, but man, that was a lot of songs.
July 2, 2013
Brilliant!!!! The most brilliant and innovative movie musical adaptation ever!!!
May 23, 2013
One of my favorite soundtracks (film, and movie)!
May 13, 2013
Excelente. Un buen soundtrack, una historia simple pero con una fuerte analogía con acontecimientos históricos. Unas actuaciones buenísimas. Michael Pitt se resbala un poco al lado de John Cameron Mitchell pero realmente estoy satisfecha con esta película.
May 11, 2013
Love love LOVE this movie! Great story, great acting, great music!
½ May 5, 2013
if you haven't seen it watch it
May 1, 2013
I never get tired off watching this Masterpiece.
April 24, 2013
A weird, brilliant, imaginative film. The music is very catchy, too.
April 20, 2013
One of the greatest rock operas ever made!
April 2, 2013
It's as if my daydreams were saved on film i LOVE it!
March 22, 2013
This is love. All I have to say about that.
I have the soundtrack and a HedHead wig. :)
March 9, 2013
Messy. Just didn't like it.
½ March 3, 2013
A musical about a botched transsexual punk rock German touring America. At times shocking and often quite funny with some really strong numbers this is an unusual but entertaining musical. The story doesn't really develop beyond the brief synopsis though.
February 10, 2013
A classic rock musical.
½ January 16, 2013
This movie/musical was great. It was funny, thick, and in your face.
January 10, 2013
Beautiful visuals and odd yet very touching story line.
December 30, 2012
Great music and idea. I don't understand why I did not enjoy this one!!
December 28, 2012