Hei tai yang: Nan Jing da tu sha (Men Behind The Sun 4) (Black Sun: The Nanking Massacre) Reviews

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Aug 03, 2013

The Nanking Massacre was one of the biggest atrocities committed by the Japanese. This fourth film illustrates the harrowing nightmare of the crimes during the massacre. Like the first film, this is accurate in showing what it was like, and it has the take no prisoners feel that made the first film so disturbing. This is a piece of history in the sense that it happened, and it is somewhat of a necessary viewing in order for humanity to prevent these types of atrocities to happen again. The series is truly disturbing, but does work well as a teaching aid, in order for us to understand how history is essential in preventing us from this sort of thing again. This is a hard film to watch and it is graphic in its content, but it's how it was. This was what the Japanese did in Nanking, and it is a disturbing, but necessary portrait of the tragic events that happened. As a whole, it's a decent film, but like the original, is only worth seeing once, if you can handle due to its content. There are aspect that could have been improved upon, but the director did a fairly decent job at capturing the chaos of the atrocities on film. Despite this, this doesn't warrant multiple viewings and it should be seen if only you're interested in the history of the ordeal. Watch it with the understanding that this is a film that will most likely offend, and in that respect, you won't forget it, because after all, this is a film based on real events, and the Nanking Massacre was one of the many tragic mass murders that occurred during the Second World War.

• Dec 24, 2012

War drama which is fast paced and full of symbolism. The gore is made well and not too overdone. It has gore in it but I wouldn't classify it as gore. More regular movies should have casual gore in them.

• Oct 18, 2012

A 90 minute journey into what is allegedly one of the greatest atrocities in human history. The Rape of Nanking is still a hugely contentious subject and I can only hope that this brutal and gruesome vision is exaggerated. A couple of sequences in the movie are breathtaking but mainly this is just quite difficult viewing.

• May 12, 2012

Not a bad film. But not particularly great, either. I went into it knowing it's notoriety as an exploitation film, so I was not particularly shocked by most of the outrageous parts (excluding the particular scene consisting of an unborn baby and a bayonet). The film attempts a first person look at the horrors of Nanking Massacre from the side of the Chinese. Although it is not the typical movie when one thinks of war films, it is very moving. I would say, see it.

• May 12, 2012

(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up The film was dark and violent but it kept me interested throughout. A tough film to watch but it was a powerful experience.

• May 12, 2012

This Movie shows the Incidents from the Nanking Massacre in the Japanese-Chinese War in which the Japanese kill 300.000 Chinese in 3 Days amongst others they lie 80.000 Chinese on the Beach shot them and burn them in the Movie they burn 80.000 Some Things and the Actors who play the Japanese Soldiers stand in that giant black cloud of smoke they also burn a Baby in a Hot Soup Pot cut a Fetus from the Mothers Belly with the Bayonet kill the Members of a whole Buddhist Cermony and lot of other grousy Things in this Movie we see also the German who saved some Chinese who was later given a own Movie

• May 12, 2012

Right up there with the other great foriegn WW2 movies such as COME AND SEE, MEN BEHIND THE SUN, PHILOSOPHY OF A KNIFE, and of course, my personal favorite... SALO!!! Well not as great as Salo. Mateo, Woody, and Pierce... perspectives welcome....

• Apr 04, 2012

I didn't like it, but it was good for the kind of movie it was.

I didn't like it, but it was good for the kind of movie it was.

• Oct 02, 2011

If it didn't come off so cheesy at times, I would have enjoyed it a lot more, and it was painfully obvious it was a propaganda film.

• Sep 03, 2011

This is a harrowing piece of horror/war drama directed skillfully by Tun Fei Mou. It tells the story about the atrocities committed by the Japanese soldiers when they invaded the city of Nanking during World War 2. Mixed with real film footage and photographs of the actual events, the movie really shows the atrocities of war. It's mostly told from the Japanese point of view, and several conversations between Japanese commanders and soldiers are chilling. There are some exploitative gross out moments, like an unborn baby being pulled out of a pregnant woman's stomach via bayonette and several scenes of crowds being mowed down by machine guns. The movie is unflinching in it's brutality. The sequence of dead Chinese bodies being burned on the riverbank is truly powerful - the sight of these enormous flames racing across an entire landscape of dead people is especially hard to forget. The movie is well-made and acted, and the photography is simply stunning. Definitely not for everyone due to some graphic material, but recommended.