Heidi - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heidi Reviews

June 29, 2014
lovely family film :)
February 8, 2012
This film is fantastic (Y)
January 7, 2012
A solid if somewhat joyless adaptation which suffers from focussing on the time in Frankfurt too much
December 27, 2011
True family film at it's best!
December 14, 2011
Heidi is the story of an 8 year old orphan girl who is sent by her aunt to live with her reluctant grandfather in the Swiss Alps who soon warms to her live-affirming positive and loving personality. However, her aunt then returns and takes her to the big city (Frankfurt) to become the playmate of wheelchair bound 11year old Clara. Whilst their friendship is strong Heidi longs to return to the mountains and eventually both make their way back with amazing consequences for all involved.

This is undoubtedly one of the best adaptations of this classic children's story and both Emma Bolger as Heidi and Max von Sydow as her grandfather are simply superb. This is old fashioned good story telling with few special effects, gentle pacing and plenty of character development - in short the sort of film that could never be made in Hollywood without overbearing music, silly songs or sentimental acting. It's all the better for keeping it simple and definitely one that will make into my family library.

The DVD unfortunately has no extras but the film is defniitely worth watching.
December 14, 2011
This movie is really charmy and warm. I loved this book as a child and read it about 10 times for sure. After I found this movie, I needed to watch it! Emma Bolger is really great actress and she made it, her smile and optimism is just great. I'm so happy that they found her for main role. But... the others, they were horrible to be honest, fake acting is not what I like. And scenery, not the greatest but... well, this is obviously low budget movie (and I'm surprised how many croats and serbs were working on this movie according to cast list).
Heidi again...boring.
½ December 14, 2011
This is the only version of "Heidi" I've seen. It was charming, although I could tell that the full story of the novel was probably being compressed quite a bit for time's sake. Brief enough that little girls will like it (mine did), but not long enough for fans of the story.
December 14, 2011
This is a really great film, not many people got to see it because it had limited showings, but it's a really great film.
½ December 14, 2011
Really good poor Heidi luckily grandmama is at hand
½ December 14, 2011
Spyri's novel is really more about relationship than plot development, which I think the film was going for in the bet to keep short attention span fixed on it. Beautifully but unexceptionally shot, the film does manage to keep the characters more or less centrestage. But there just isn't enough time to go through Spyri's thawing of BOTH Heidi's and Uncle Alp's emotion. Peter the General of the Goats just had to be rather moodier and more angsty because there just isn't time to show how such a gentle boy could work up to the wheelchair episode.

The film does keeps itself as much a child's innocent's vision as possible, and for that it is affecting and heartwarming, albeit helplesslysomewhat a travesty of the novel - but how many film adaptations get anywhere near equalling their literary sorce.
December 14, 2011
Like-able remake of a classic story despite it being over-filmed through the years.
½ December 14, 2011
Oh my god, this piece of shit lacks everything the TV-series I grew up with had! The actors looks like they dislike their job, and the story is rushed through like a train through a flat landscape! In Norway they dubbed it to norwegian, but even if they didn't nothing could save this film from becoming one of the biggest dissters reaching the cinemas during 2007 (Norway)! Stay away!!
December 14, 2011
I looooooooooooooooove movies based on classic novels

and this cute Heidi is just so cute.
December 14, 2011
wow umn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie....i think that kellie shirley, karl johnson, jessica james, emma bolger, geraldine chaplin, jessica claridge, diana rigg, caroline pegg, alexandra main play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/kids/family movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that this is a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a good cast thorughout this movie....i think that emma bolger is good throughout this movie.....i think that this is a good movie 2 watch
½ December 14, 2011
Yet another adaptation of Heidi. It has the same story as all the other ones, so I presume that means it's loyal to the book.

I'm getting a bit old/sentimental, because it did moisten the eye a bit even though I knew the story. So I suppose that means the film is effective.

Other than that, nothing to report. It adds nothing, and seems to me to be entirely unnecessary. But I suppose they'll keep remaking Heidi and The Little Lord and all those other things for many years to come.