Hell High - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hell High Reviews

November 2, 2014
Frustratingly bad. Every character is insane....no one is likeable, or even sympathetic. Just really bad.

And when did rape become a fun practical joke? Ugh.
May 31, 2014
Four students play a tormenting prank on their inept biology teacher that stirs up her past demons. The box notes that today's school lesson is in bleeding instead of reading but there is no actual bloodshed on school premisis. The students are very unsavoury characters and really would make life hell for a teacher. No high grades for this film.
May 13, 2014
A fun, bizarre little slasher flick that defies many of the rules of the genre and elicits an almost constant stream of laughter along the way. More despicable teens than I have seen in almost any other slasher film (these are perfectly okay with rape) reside at the center of this twisted and forgotten piece of slasher history--it is about five-seven years too late for the genre's prime. If you like slasher films or horror films that are so bad they're hilarious, then you'll like Hell High.
May 13, 2014
I can't believe how many bad reviews Hell High has gotten.I thought it was a suprisingly good revenge horror flick that should be better known then it is today.I enjoyed watching it from start to finish even though I only watched it as something to watch.The thing that weirds me out is I really don't know why I like it so much but I just do
May 13, 2014
So bad it's good but still pretty bad horror film that is about a group of pranksters that decide to pick on the teacher with a past. The script is extremely unintentionally funny it's downright ridiculous, makes one think why and where do people come up with the money to make such gabage. Everything aside the film is bad, the acting is bad, there is very little gore, and involves nothing scary what so ever. If you are a conisseur of crap then this is definately your cup of tea.
basic 80's horror flick. cheesy goodness
½ May 13, 2014
Not bad. It takes awhile to get going, but I thought the climax was a pretty nice payoff. The actual ending was a bit too long, though.
May 13, 2014
Four students play a tormenting prank on their inept biology teacher that stirs up her past demons. The box notes that today school lesson is in bleeding instead of reading but there is no actual bloodshed on school premisis. The students are very unsavoury characters and really would make life hell for a teacher. No high grades for this film.
½ May 13, 2014
Slasher film has four problem students pranking the uptight high school science teacher which goes horribly wrong. Backstory is weak, even by slasher film standards. Similar to other high school set horrors of the time; this one sat on the shelf for a few years and by the time it was released the star (Stryker) had already passed away.
½ May 13, 2014
The only film that Douglas Grossman ever made and it was pretty terrible. The plot doesn't really make sense and the characters say very random things. The movie is so bad it was fun to laugh at. I did enjoy the '80s music.

The film is classified as horror, although one could argue it's a comedy since it was definitely more humorous than scary. The movie is part slasher, part home invasion. Four students terrorize their teacher until the teacher snaps.

The film stars Christopher Stryker, Maureen Mooney, Christopher Cousins (the only person in this movie to even remotely have an success after this), Millie Prezioso, and Jason Brill.

I feel 1.5 stars is pretty generous for this movie. It's not easy for me to give out this low of a rating, mostly because I give credit for structure, a coherent plot, and maybe decent editing. This film is lacking these things. More than a couple times during a movie I asked myself "What?". Like I said earlier, the film is enjoyable to watch since it was so bad. Recommended to only those that love their B-movies. 1.5/5 stars. (3/24/10)
½ May 13, 2014
Directed and acted with smoothness and poise, Hell High (1989) is rightfully considered a B-movie classic. Though billed as a slasher flick, the film is more of a home invasion story about four high school students who invade the home of their disliked teacher who, unbeknownst to them, has a murderous past. The B-movie staples (random tit shots, excessive violence, awesomely dated fashion, lingo, and score) are in full-force, but they are buoyed by a timelessly snappy screenplay and acting. Christopher Stryker is particularly impressive as a greaser-style ruffian with a heart of stone. Stryker died of AIDS before the film was released, and I imagine that with his icy gaze and charismatic aura, he would have had a career that far exceeded the realm of B horror movies. Each of the teen rebels seems to represent a different notch on the moral continuum, with Stryker's character being the worst and Jon-Jon (Christopher Cousins) who we identify as the hero, being the most noble. As for the tormented teacher, Ms. Storm (Maureen Mooney), her reasons for violence are a combination of accident, self-defense, sexual hysteria, and madness. While its B-movie trappings and the great competence of the filmmaking make the film fun, the moral complexity of the film's violent characters and those they victimize is what makes Hell High ultimately so enjoyable.
May 13, 2014
A film that's never scary at all, this slasher centers around a woman who accidentally kills a couple of teens as a child, but is never caught. She grows into the most nervy teacher you can imagine, who falls prey to the shitty pranks that her students play on her. This drives her ape-shit crazy and she takes bloody revenge on them, so good for her.

It's pretty badly done, so unless you have friends to make fun of it with, or want to listen to the Joe Bob Briggs commentary, I'd say that you can take a pass on this one.
½ May 13, 2014
This is a really It's over the top and doesn't really hold together, but it's damn fun!
May 13, 2014
A surprisingly original Slasher flick, highly recommend checking it out.
November 3, 2012
Tremendous late eighties horror. Don't be fooled by it's low budget. Very interesting and intelligent reworking of slasher cliches.