RT on DVD: Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy II Diary!

Plus, huge box sets for fans of Firefly, Band of Brothers, and The Sopranos!

Christmas has come early for home video enthusiasts, as a ton of great new (and familiar) titles hit DVD and Blu-ray. Start your holiday shopping this week (and buy a few DVDs for yourself) with great new sets courtesy of Hellboy II and The Sopranos, or venture into Blu-ray territory with must-have TV on DVD titles like Band of Brothers and Firefly!

1. Hellboy II: The Golden Army Collector's Set -- 88%

While 2004's Hellboy was a modest commercial success (and scored an 80 percent Tomatometer), thank goodness Universal allowed fantasy auteur Guillermo del Toro to unleash his creativity with an even bigger budget for the first of two planned sequels! In a summer that belonged to the comic book superhero, del Toro's Hellboy II: The Golden Army quietly claimed its own comfy corner of the box office, earning over $150 million worldwide and besting the Tomatometer score of its predecessor in the process.

Now you can own Hellboy II: The Golden Army on DVD and Blu-ray, though we highly recommend any diehard del Toro fan save up for the generous Collector's Set, which comes with a collectible Golden Army statuette, a limited edition poster, and a copy of Guillermo del Toro's production diary filled with meticulously hand-drawn creatures and notes.

Meanwhile, even the single-disc DVD features more than your average bonus features, including a feature-length commentary by del Toro, a feature-length commentary with cast members Selma Blair, Jeffrey Tambor, and Luke Goss, seven behind-the-scenes set visits, a tour of the Troll Market with del Toro as your guide, and deleted scenes.

Which means that on the 3-disc and Blu-ray disc, you'll get even more bang for your buck. Expect over two hours of footage from the making of Hellboy II, exclusive design and concept art, and more; Blu-ray viewers can chat with friends, build their own comic book, and get a sneak peek at new footage from Universal's Wanted.

See exclusive set photos from Hellboy II: The Golden Army and selected pages from del Toro's on-set journal below!

Next: Kung Fu Panda strikes on Sunday

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I'll pick up HB II and Scrubs, and I will rent that Sukiyaki movie. I definitely recommend even a blind buy of Band of Brothers, its great. I already got FIREFLY so I don't think I will double dip, I will double dip on Serenity on Blu Ray this christmas though. I'm thinking about Sopranos for Christmas, but I would rather have The Wire box set or even the Deadwood set.

Nov 10 - 05:57 PM

screwhead100

Ben Wellick

hell boy 2 would have done so much better at the box office if it wouldnt have come out the weekend right before the dark knight..........i hope its dvd sales are through the roof so we can get a 3rd one...........

IMO the 2nd one was far better than the 1st one..........

Nov 10 - 06:00 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

Hellboy II is win!

But, what about the new release of Mister Foe?

Sukiyaki Western Django actually has a predicted Netflix rating for me of 5.0 stars. I've NEVER had a film recommended to me with that score. I've had 4.7, 4.8, but not 5.0 . . .

So, Hopefully I'll enjoy it.

Nov 10 - 06:34 PM

Tara101

Jeri Schultz

I know I will be first in line to buy this movie tomorrow. I saw it three times in the theater; one time was a private fan screening GDT had for fans in L.A. The bonus feature will be filled with great stuff from Mr del Toro I am sure and so worth buying this movie. Luke Goss won a Star of Tomorrow Award at The Motion Pictures Club Luncheon in NYC Nov 6. for his role as Prince Nuada. It is to bad other awards show have over looked Luke. I think he is a very gifted actor who has not been used enough in Hollywood to date. www.lukegossforum.com has pictures of the award.

Nov 10 - 07:48 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Quite frankly, I saw "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" in theatres and it deserved so much more money than crap like "Step Up 2" or "Zohan". It should've been released in March or April. But it was great, and I can't wait for "Hellboy III". And if it dosen't win "Best Art Direction-Set Decoration" I'm gonna get furious.

Nov 10 - 08:05 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah it isn't a summer movie, and I thought they should have released the movie a day or 2 early to pick up more cash before The Dark Knight came out. I really hope there is a 3rd movie because it needs a conclusion and it is a really good series, the first one was pretty good and I the second one was really good. Since it made 150 million world wide and will likely make a lot of bank on dvd, is it a fair to assume there will be a 3rd movie.

Nov 10 - 08:26 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Next movie, is "Kung Fu Panda" which I really want to see, but is on freakin' on long wait on Netflix. Damn. But yes I'm seeing it.

Nov 10 - 08:07 PM

MizzleBrizzle

Mike Bragg

I got Kung Fu Panda Saturday from McDonald's Redbox. Maybe you should check that out since your netflix wait is so long.

Nov 11 - 07:00 AM

inactive user

Jared King

Next movie, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars", which despite being Star Wars, I'm not planning on seeing. I for one loved "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" (I know many are mixed) and I thought, "George Lucas is good in my book again." Now, he ruined that.

Nov 10 - 08:09 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Next movie, "Sukiyaka Western Django" which I don't know much about, but looks like good B movie fun.

Nov 10 - 08:11 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Next movie, "Planet B-Boy" which is about break dancing and is automatically a no.

Nov 10 - 08:13 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"Scrubs" I've seen some of. And I love the stupid no-brainer comedy, and hate the syrupy drama moments. So sometimes I like episodes, sometimes I don't. I still watch the show.

Nov 10 - 08:14 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Next is "Band of Brothers" which I've never seen. And I want to SO MUCH! I don't see how it can go wrong, a definate rental.

Nov 10 - 08:16 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Once again I'm short on words for "Firefly", which is loved by the few who know it. It looks to me like just another "Battlestar Galactica". (I don't know if I got the name right, I don't really care.) I'm not gonna give "Firefly" a second look.

Nov 10 - 08:18 PM

inactive user

Jared King

"The Cosby Show" is a classic, but I don't buy TV shows if they're still on TV. Only cancelled things I buy, like "MST3K" or "Lost in Space".

Nov 10 - 08:21 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Nov 10 - 08:26 PM

inactive user

Jared King

And for the people how are saying, "Shut up ledawg!", don't worry this is it. And a ten pound DVD set is worth $400 dollars. And I'm going to admit to my embarrasment, I haven't seen a single episode of "The Sopranos". But like "Band of Brothers", I want to. I don't konw when or where it's on. HBO? Showtime?

Thanks Jen.

Nov 10 - 08:26 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

HBO, but seriously Band of Brothers is a safe blind buy and I never blind buy.

Nov 10 - 09:43 PM

AnthonyDidge

Anthony D

They show it on A&E, haven't watched it on there but I'm sure it's heavily censored. And I'm not sure where they're currently at, as far as which season. I'd say you should just devote Netflix to it for a while (what I did.) Now I'll be buying Hellboy II for sure and Sukiyaki Western Django will be a blind purchase (besides the preview and clip we had on RT a couple of months back)

Nov 11 - 06:01 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

HBO, but seriously Band of Brothers is a safe blind buy and I never blind buy.

Nov 10 - 09:43 PM

the train

Vinnie Oliveri

i was worried i wasn't going to get the "ledawg is in the store with me" experience. but i did.

Nov 10 - 11:51 PM

AnthonyDidge

Anthony D

Nov 11 - 06:01 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

I'd like to second the notion that "Band of Brothers" is a safe blind buy. It is some kind of fantastic.

I heard long ago that Hanks and Speilberg were gonna do another "BoB"-type miniseries, using the Pacific side of WWII. I wonder what ever happened with that...

Nov 11 - 06:44 AM