Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Hellboy 2) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Hellboy 2) Reviews

July 16, 2017
Nazies and 'merika = Hollywood hype
July 15, 2017
A much better effort than the 1st....
This has a lot more story to it and was much more engaging as a result. It does have a few weaknesses though. The script is a little silly and the characters are still a bit 2-dimensional, even with the obvious attempts at emotional arcs (the forced love Sapien love connection) and dealing with 'unique' issues of adversity (public hating the supes). The humourous tone is still present and this still works a treat, but Del Toro's writing overall is not too strong on this film, unlike some of his others.
However, what we always have come to expect from him (and this delivers in spades) is a visual treat. The art design is beautiful and the action scenes are frenetic and spectacular. There are stand out moments of wonderful design throughout (see the Forest Elemental) and Del Toro has a genuine talent to bring so many wonderous yet believable creatures to life on screen. Perlman is great once again as Hellboy and is very comfortable with this character. Luke Goss also does well and pulls off another decent turn as a bad guy.

I enjoyed the film, as I do love visuals and am always happy to revel in the obscure, colourful toy box that is Del Toro's mind....but I do feel it needed a lot more polishing in other key areas, and this inevitably lets the film down as a whole...
½ June 22, 2017
Hellboy II: The Golden Army still has overwhelming action and pretty weak character development, but it is ultimately an improvement over the original with a much more entertaining plot with a good fantasy angle to it and a lot of great set pieces, interesting creatures and great visuals.
June 20, 2017
The visuals in this movie was amazing definitely worth watching
June 15, 2017
Outstanding, SUPER underrated, perfectly perfect superhero sequel! Even better than the first and I rated that 5 stars as well. That makes one HELLA good movie in my book. Great characterization and plot with quality special effects, big laughs and worthy villain to serve a genuinely fun, sharp witted script. Action is of the highest standard. I would rank this among the top 5 best comic book inspired movies ever. Guillermo Del Toro is a genius!
June 7, 2017
Whereas the effects and visuals were interesting, the plot failed to keep people interested in the story, and was a large let down compared to the first film.
½ June 6, 2017
The visuals in this movie was amazing definitely worth watching
June 1, 2017
Much like the first one, I could spot some flaws, but overall, this is still a very fun, very funny, very imaginative film with beautiful visuals and endearing characters. I had a really fun time.
½ May 13, 2017
Not as good as the first one, but still a fun romp, with enough Monster Mash visuals to satisfy any horror fan
April 14, 2017
Wow, this film is visually very exciting and full of imagination and style, but the actual story seems a bit off and the acting is melodramatic and over the top. Still, it's directed by Guillermo del Torro., one of my favorites, so that makes it well worth watching for me.
April 5, 2017
The story, cast, makeup, visual effects, and Gullermo del Toro's direction are all excellent.
½ March 23, 2017
Charmless, overblown and tiresome. I felt no connection with the world or any of its oh-so-hilarious denizens.
March 20, 2017
It says a mythical world starts a rebellion against humanity, when in actual fact only Luke Goss & his pet troll are the only ones attempting to do any rebelling. Del Toro has had more budget to put into the designs & creatures but despite looking spectacular there really isn't much point to half the monsters that appear (most of which in the first hour). Again it's Ron Perlman's performance that make the film enjoyable, but apart from that it's pretty much a carbon copy of the first film... and Abe Sapien's voice has changed, & is not as good as in original
½ February 25, 2017
a tale of a fairy against capitalism if you think about it ??
½ February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 23, 2017
Returning with all the novelty, comic book style action, and monster movie thrills of the first adventure, "The Golden Army" is a winning sequel all-around.
½ January 18, 2017
Better than the first, but lacks character depth.
January 17, 2017
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. 2004's Hellboy was mostly a dull, plodding movie. Every once and a while there were flashes of potential from the creative team: a crackling one-liner, an iconic image, a piece of hard-hitting action, a great character moment. But on the whole, the whole thing felt watered-down, forced, and a waste of talent. Rumor has it that studio suits interfered, as they're wont to do, with the creative vision of the director. But that director was Guillermo Del Toro, whose next film, the visionary Pan's Labrynth, won three Academy Awards, received a standing ovation at the Cannes Film Festival, and got a whopping 96% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. This time, the studio suits politely stood out of his way.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army is at once an altogether superior sequel as well as a highly entertaining standalone adventure movie. The characters are terrific, the action sequences genuinely thrilling, the comedy hits the mark (it rarely did in the first film), and the visual design is at times among the most original and unique of anything I've ever seen. Go see this movie to enjoy the craft of a great director on the rise. You don't have to have seen the first film to enjoy this one.

For me, this is on par with Iron Man as the summer's best action entertainment so far (The Dark Knight, of course, soon cometh). While no character in this shines as brightly as Robert Downey Jr's ultra-cool Tony Stark, the ensemble here is better, the action is just as good, and the creativity and visual imagery are terrific. When I saw the first Hellboy I didn't care if the series continued; having seen it's brawny, spunky, and imaginative sequel, I cannot wait for another installment. **** (out of five) Rated PG-13 for creepy images, action violence.
½ January 8, 2017
Guillermo del Toro did it again. His imagery and visual language are unique in fantasy cinema. He easily exceeds expectations for his second Hellboy film and creates one hell of a fun fantasy picture. A movie that has everything an action comic adventure needs: so many funny, pretty and ugly creatures that you could fill 5 films with them; likable heroes and cool villains; humor, even silliness, yet a certain depth and care for the characters you start to love and want to follow around for all of their adventures; great, spectacular action scenes and outstanding special effects. Sure, the plot doesn't always make sense, but all the neat ideas, one-liners and breathless pace more than make up for it. In short: Bloody fantastic.
½ December 24, 2016
The return of Perlman and his character created from the couple Del Toro-Mignola entertain the fans with jokes and important quotations, all seasoned with a good dose of action fantasy