Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Hellboy 2) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Hellboy 2) Reviews

½ August 16, 2017
Might be the best comic book adaptation with TDK
August 5, 2017
8/5/2017: I liked the first one more, but this was still a decent movie. Lots of action and good special effects.
July 29, 2017
I wasn't exactly amazed by Hellboy when I saw it about a year ago. It was definitely well made and entertaining, but didn't connect with me as much as other super hero films. The Golden Army was almost the exact same thing. It was ridiculously fun, probably more fun than the first movie, but I struggled to care about the characters. The movie clearly works overtime on creating emotional connections, but I didn't feel it. It's almost like there is something I'm missing between the scenes we see, quieter scenes where more character work is done.

I forgive a lot of flaws, though, when I'm enjoying a film this much. The visuals are simply stunning in Hellboy II. Del Toro is a master with these otherworldly creatures, and the makeup and prosthetics he includes in this film are unbelievable. I feel transported to another world throughout the entire film and yet it all makes some kind of sense to me. There is also some CGI used in the movie, but it works and blends almost seamlessly with the practical effects. I also appreciated how unique the characters are so they are easy to follow in the action sequences.

The action is amazing. I love the blend of gunplay, magical powers, and straight-up fisticuffs. It got me excited every time there was a brawl, and I even found myself laughing at times with glee. The climactic battle was so great I was grinning from ear to ear, particularly when Johann Krauss started to show what he could do. I just wish I cared more about these characters beyond what they do in a fight. They try to weave in some romantic stuff and that fell flat for me. Also they do a few things that seem intended to hit us emotionally and that didn't even make me think about tearing up. Hellboy II was just a mixed bag for me. It was well-made and fun to watch, but could have been truly great with a little more tweaking.
July 16, 2017
Nazies and 'merika = Hollywood hype
July 15, 2017
A much better effort than the 1st....
This has a lot more story to it and was much more engaging as a result. It does have a few weaknesses though. The script is a little silly and the characters are still a bit 2-dimensional, even with the obvious attempts at emotional arcs (the forced love Sapien love connection) and dealing with 'unique' issues of adversity (public hating the supes). The humourous tone is still present and this still works a treat, but Del Toro's writing overall is not too strong on this film, unlike some of his others.
However, what we always have come to expect from him (and this delivers in spades) is a visual treat. The art design is beautiful and the action scenes are frenetic and spectacular. There are stand out moments of wonderful design throughout (see the Forest Elemental) and Del Toro has a genuine talent to bring so many wonderous yet believable creatures to life on screen. Perlman is great once again as Hellboy and is very comfortable with this character. Luke Goss also does well and pulls off another decent turn as a bad guy.

I enjoyed the film, as I do love visuals and am always happy to revel in the obscure, colourful toy box that is Del Toro's mind....but I do feel it needed a lot more polishing in other key areas, and this inevitably lets the film down as a whole...
½ June 22, 2017
Hellboy II: The Golden Army still has overwhelming action and pretty weak character development, but it is ultimately an improvement over the original with a much more entertaining plot with a good fantasy angle to it and a lot of great set pieces, interesting creatures and great visuals.
June 20, 2017
The visuals in this movie was amazing definitely worth watching
June 15, 2017
Outstanding, SUPER underrated, perfectly perfect superhero sequel! Even better than the first and I rated that 5 stars as well. That makes one HELLA good movie in my book. Great characterization and plot with quality special effects, big laughs and worthy villain to serve a genuinely fun, sharp witted script. Action is of the highest standard. I would rank this among the top 5 best comic book inspired movies ever. Guillermo Del Toro is a genius!
June 7, 2017
Whereas the effects and visuals were interesting, the plot failed to keep people interested in the story, and was a large let down compared to the first film.
½ June 6, 2017
The visuals in this movie was amazing definitely worth watching
June 1, 2017
Much like the first one, I could spot some flaws, but overall, this is still a very fun, very funny, very imaginative film with beautiful visuals and endearing characters. I had a really fun time.
½ May 13, 2017
Not as good as the first one, but still a fun romp, with enough Monster Mash visuals to satisfy any horror fan
April 14, 2017
Wow, this film is visually very exciting and full of imagination and style, but the actual story seems a bit off and the acting is melodramatic and over the top. Still, it's directed by Guillermo del Torro., one of my favorites, so that makes it well worth watching for me.
April 5, 2017
The story, cast, makeup, visual effects, and Gullermo del Toro's direction are all excellent.
½ March 23, 2017
Charmless, overblown and tiresome. I felt no connection with the world or any of its oh-so-hilarious denizens.
March 20, 2017
It says a mythical world starts a rebellion against humanity, when in actual fact only Luke Goss & his pet troll are the only ones attempting to do any rebelling. Del Toro has had more budget to put into the designs & creatures but despite looking spectacular there really isn't much point to half the monsters that appear (most of which in the first hour). Again it's Ron Perlman's performance that make the film enjoyable, but apart from that it's pretty much a carbon copy of the first film... and Abe Sapien's voice has changed, & is not as good as in original
½ February 25, 2017
a tale of a fairy against capitalism if you think about it ??
½ February 8, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 23, 2017
Returning with all the novelty, comic book style action, and monster movie thrills of the first adventure, "The Golden Army" is a winning sequel all-around.
½ January 18, 2017
Better than the first, but lacks character depth.