Hello I Must Be Going - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hello I Must Be Going Reviews

½ September 28, 2017
Is this movie a love story, commedy, tragedy? Is there an answer the the questions raised by this movie?
Yes and No or is there a maybe answer to these questions raised by this interesting little story. What I see in this movie "story" is people sleep walking through life as we all tend to do most of the time. Then there is Amy who is really alive, living in the moment. Amy is not thinking about the trip around the world or retirement or making money, in the pain that she feels at the loss of love she is more alive than all the other characters. Loosing a love is a "near death" experience, because when it is your time to go "die" you must separate (loose) all your loved ones who must stay behind and carry on in life. So here you have Amy in her misery morning the death of a part of her (and although maybe not consciously) she is more alive than all the other people in the story. The possible exception is Jeremy (the young man "actor") he being an artist. Artist are always more alive, less sleep walking, than the rest of us. Artist do see the world through different eyes, and he see's Amy's passion (all be it in the grief of her loss) and all of a sudden two people who are not sleep waking meet. Both, Amy and Jeremy, finding each other alive and vibrant (all be it for different reasons) the see an opportunity to be with another real, attractive (not sleep walking) person and find and share in the most valuable richness in this world love. As the story progresses you from Amy's perspective "mostly" you see that she is just as alive in the warmth of the sunshine of love as she was in the misery of the cold darkness of her morning for the loss of love. The story ends by both of them begrudgingly going back the what is acceptable (by society's standards) which is finding or trying to find some one who is right??? for you, correct age, class, race, religion culture etc. etc.. But somehow knowing and being grateful for their brief summer of love where the shared a waking moment in time. A man and a woman sharing a moment in time in the splendor of love. Oh and yes by the way told as some what of a comedy, because some times big truths can more easily be told in comedy.
½ February 9, 2017
I was really impressed with this little low key indie film. I like these adult coming of age stories. Melanie Lynskey gives a great performance as a divorcee trying to make sense of life. She starts a relationship with a much younger man, through which she discovers who she is and what she wants. Blythe Danner gives an equally great performance as her struggling mother.
½ December 30, 2016
Was considered a lovable long shot for an Academy Award nomination, Melanie Lynsey shimmers with mellow sexuality and melancholy in this offbeat comedy about a middle-aged divorcée who uncannily turns her life around after an awkward romance with a man decades younger than her.
May 9, 2016
I really like Melanie Lynskey, and I don't really like honest portrayals of mother-daughter relationships but it has a good one of those too. Time is just passing and a romance is happening. Our main characters' scandalous age different wouldn't be scandalous if their genders were reversed, and I'm tired of the way their relationship is deemed impossible and its end inevitable. It was a means to an end, not an end to itself, and maybe that's still valid. Why do I keep re-watching this? I watched it with my mum and she got upset because it 'brought up a lot of stuff'. Upper-middle-class disappointment that we'd all like to be able to relate to.
August 9, 2015
A nice performance by Lynskey can't offset this low-key, slowly-paced film.
½ March 24, 2015
Melanie Lynskey is wonderful in this role. A pleasantly funny mix of heartbreak and happiness. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
½ February 8, 2015
Really did want to like this. The preview looked great - have been looking forward to seeing it for a long time.
But somehow it was kind of meh. Not bad, not by a long shot, but just quite dull viewing. I don't know why.
Cast are good. Movie looks nice. Good story about a young woman who's marriage has failed and she's returned home temporarily with all the problems that entails. Good end message about standing on your own two feet.
Really should have been something more than it was.
½ September 17, 2014
Hello I Must Be Going is about not fitting into what we think we are supposed to do and be. I found all of the characters to be relatable and complex. The performances are spot-on.
August 10, 2014
I love stories where people grow. This movie made me happy.
½ July 24, 2014
Tuesday, July 22, 2014

(2012) Hello, I Must Be Going
DRAMA

Not bad movie, but was only credible up until a certain point, which was until the female main star who's middle age, begin to have one of many affairs with a 19 year old young man. The movie stars, Amy (Melanie Lynskey) who still can't get over a recent divorce from her husband of many years. And she shows this by staying with her parents house without taking one step outside- similar to how a hermit would live. While hanging around there, her mother(Blyth Danner) then informs her, that as a result her husband trying to get some clients, both of them can go on to their pre-planned world wide vacation except that they're expected to have dinner with the main boss. Upon bringing his own family to this dinner also includes his 19 year old actor son, Jeremy (Christopher Abbott). It's like Jeremy doesn't seem to have any other friends from high school or college, no mentioning of any goals, including the fact that it would take an affair with a 19 year old to help a middle age woman identify herself is something one can see from a soap opera except that it's more credible on a soap opera than it would be for a two hour movie since it would require a time spawn of several months if not years for anything like that to happen.

2 out of 4 stars
Harlequin68
July 14, 2014
In "Hello I Must Be Going," Amy(Melanie Lynskey) has been down in the dumps for the three months since her divorce. So much so, that she has not changed her T-shirt in that time. In response, her parents(Blythe Danner & John Rubinstein) want her very much to get something new for a party they are throwing. And the attempt nearly kills her. But at least Amy is feeling better for the party which has its upside like making out with 19-year old Jeremy(Christopher Abbott). Later, their relationship intensifies before Amy finds out she is the last person to know Jeremy is gay.

"Hello I Must Be Going" is a nice movie that sidesteps many a serious issue. Like instead of depression, the movie is about two people finding themselves after finding each other. While Jeremy is young enough to make things intriguing, he is old enough to keep the story out of Catherine Breillat territory. In any case, Melanie Lynskey makes for a pleasant enough lead in this amiable movie.
June 14, 2014
This was a cool indie film about a woman going through a divorce. It's basically the cinematic version of the John Lennon quotation "Life's what happens when you're busy making other plans." I liked it.
February 1, 2014
I have to say this: Thank god for indie films. Without them, screen romances would be forever lost in the mind-numbing world of Hollywood chick-flicks. We also wouldn't have this little gem. A daring story, involving a 34 year old divorcee falling for a 19 year old drama student, is illuminated (almost entirely) by the performance of Melanie Lynskey. An actress coasting through obscurity ever since her breakout role in 1994's Heavenly creatures (alongside Kate Winslett), Lynskey is a revelation finding warmth, vulnerability and humor in an otherwise unsympathetic role.
January 21, 2014
Weak plot, weakly acted.
½ January 20, 2014
No story no scenario, Shame
½ January 11, 2014
Slow movie but passable.
½ December 9, 2013
This was a fun and quirky film with a great ending. The cast was wonderful and really brought the characters to life.
½ November 22, 2013
Ok Film about a depressed recently divorced young woman hanging a fling with a 19 year old with his own troubles.
October 24, 2013
An interesting character study of a lost soul who staggers, but eventually finds her way through a life that isn't what she expected it to be, coming to terms with what she discovers about herself at the crossroads where she faces up to the reality of what she really is. Melanie Lynskey shines in this tale of a midlife coming of age.
½ September 28, 2013
Melanie Lynskey I a great actress, love her work. She was remarkable in this movie. The storyline was okay, she is a divorcee who starts a relationship with a younger man. The movie was slow and nothing great, nothing memorable.