Hellraiser: Deader - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hellraiser: Deader Reviews

July 15, 2016
Each Hellraiser sequel seems worse than the previous. This one is only helped by the presence of Kari Wuhrer, who I've always liked, even though she's never actually appeared in a good film, unless you count "Beastmaster 2" or "Anaconda." Like the two previous Hellraiser films, the script for this film was originally written as a non-Hellraiser horror story and was later decided to add in The Cenobites and other Hellraiser elements to make it fit within the franchise. The story here involved a journalist, Wuhrer, investigating a group who clam to be able to bring back the dead and is slowly sucked into their strange and secret world, which involved the mysterious puzzle box and the deadly Cenobites. Meh. Nothing good here except for some halfway decent special effects and Doug Bradley continues to be good as Pinhead, at least for the the little amount of screen time that he and the other Cenobites have. Don't bother watching this one unless you feel compelled to be able to say you've seen all of the Hellraiser films.
½ October 16, 2015
It is like two completely different - but equally awful - ideas/stories that got stitched together into an incomprehensible movie that makes no sense, and to top all that the dialogue is just as awful, as well as the amateurish direction, cinematography and editing.
October 5, 2015
Boring. One well done sequence does not save a movie.
½ September 9, 2015
Movie number seven
Plot Amy, reporter takes on story which may cost her her soul

Great plot and this time different again
Lots of blood in this

Special and visual effects and creature makeup where great

I Enjoyed this one too worthwhile watching
½ March 6, 2015
I am going out of my way to write something about this somewhat mediocre but fairly good film, which is NOT as disappointing as the reviews would lead one to believe. I recommend this film --if for no other reason than the fact that there are not many interesting fresh horror films out there. I know it COULD BE better, but this is worth a watch.
½ February 27, 2015
I was a little skeptical going in to this entry in the Hellraiser series, simply because of the title Deader. They made up a word to describe a group of people who kill themselves and then bring themselves back to life. It all barely tied into the Hellraiser world and what did, made little sense. It focused on one girl, a reporter who started out trying to get a story and then things just went all over the place from there. The acting was weak, the special effects were decent but the overall plot was frenzied and boring. At times they tried to be scary with some jump scares and creepy settings, but it did not achieve the desired result. This is one of the weakest entries in the series and is skippable if your wanting to try and watch the entire series, like I am.
½ November 2, 2014
Utterly terrible movie. Not terrifying, terrible. A plot with its own identity-crisis, "dead" bodies that don't stop breathing and moving, utterly piss makeup and special effects, and a never-ending collage of alternate scenes and past flashes in case the audience missed them the FIRST ten times.
This wasn't a Hellraiser movie: this was a broke druggie movie that happened to have some Cenobites thrown in for maybe ten minutes to try to make a plot out of it.
October 30, 2014
Kari Wuhrer, one of my other wifey's. In a stellar performance like usual. Always underrated. This actress always does a lot of cheesy B-horror flicks. Anyway, the plot seemed promising if nonsensical to say the least. But it was just really boring and stuff, a lot of the beginning of the film was back story and story and it just dragged on, for one of the first times in the series...when all the films are the same length....this one felt drawn out. Out of 1-4 and this (7), this was easily the worst one thus far.
½ October 21, 2014
Surprisingly well-made entry into the "Hellraiser" franchise, thanks to a creepy premise & solid cast. Kari Wuhrer is effective in the lead role of Amy Klein, playing someone intelligent enough to not only know something strange is going on with the 'deaders' but to be terrified of it, and receives solid support from the rest of the cast. Behind the camera, director Rick Bota crafts an interesting mystery that actually tries to do something different with the franchise, along with some creepy set pieces (the scene where Amy is walking through the subway while endlessly bleeding out is especially effective). Unfortunately, it gets a bit convoluted in the third act, though redeemed with an effective show-piece for the great Doug Bradley's Pinhead. Overall, a worthy addition to the Hellraiser franchise, though not quite a classic.
October 5, 2014
Highly underrated Hellraiser flick. I don't watch these movies for Pinhead, I watch them for the psychological thriller feel and the pure entertainment. I think it's cool how they make these movies really slow but intriguing in the beginning and then have Pinhead show up at the end. This one works really well.
October 2, 2014
another supermarket DVD 2.99 DVD combo pack purchase
½ October 1, 2014
Pinhead the only good thing
August 11, 2014
Clive Barker, please come back! When the puzzle box opens it only induces nightmares now instead of instant death by Pinhead and the centibites. The box opens and death does not come until the last scene. I do not know why I keep watching these Hellraiser films.
August 3, 2014
If this film was a person, I'd beat it until it was dead and deader
June 14, 2014
These aren't getting better.
April 25, 2014
Don't think for a moment you're not in danger.

An undercover reporter begins investigating a potential story about an underground gang that can raise the dead. In the process she comes across a box that unlocks a path to the Hellraisers. When the Hellraisers arrive, they discover something other than themselves are raising the dead and competition is afoot. Can the Hellraisers slow the growth of their enemies and will the human race be caught in the middle of an epic battle?

"You opened the box so your soul belongs to me."

Rick Bota, director of Hellraiser: Hellseeker, Hellraiser: Hellworld, Love Me, and Happy Face Killer, delivers Hellraiser: Deader. The storyline for this picture is on par with the previous couple films and the violence has been fairly consistent throughout the series. The acting was just okay and the cast includes Doug Bradley, Georgina Rylance, Marc Warren, Paul Rhys, and Kari Wuhrer.

"Who am I is no concerns of yours."

I decided to watch this series off Netflix because I adored the first few films and decided to give the entire series a shot. Unfortunately, after the first couple films the series falls apart. This was not as bad as some of the films, but it is far from a worthwhile addition to the horror genre. I would only recommend seeing this if you're a diehard Hellraiser fan.

"Neither of us knows when to get off the fucking train."

Grade: C-
April 11, 2014
You can kind of tell this wasn't originally written as a Hellraiser movie. As such it plays like a spin-off, though they tie it in nicely enough. Starts off sort of boring, but it gets okay toward the end. Effects are kind of cheesy, and it takes place in Romania but everyone speaks almost perfect English.
March 30, 2014
It's watchable, but it's a razor blade without its edge!
March 26, 2014
Getting further away from the point. So this is about a determined investigative reporter (Kari Wuhrer), who travels to Romania to look into a mysterious cult, the Deaders, who kill members and bring them back to life. Now I know that this series is not all about Pinhead (despite how the cover-art may lead you), but these past two movies have really gotten away from what a Hellraiser movie is all about. It seems as if they just picked these generic thrillers and merged them halfheartedly with Hellraiser elements to keep the rights to the series. I read in a review that this was originally not written with Hellraiser in mind, and that really doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Not that you need a ton of Pinhead in your movie, mind you; the first two movies, Pinhead and the Cenobites are just background supporting characters and those are the best two in the entire series. Here, they just focus on the puzzle box every thirty minutes and call it a day. No scene complements another in any particular way, and this has devolved into the land of jump scares. The majority of the horror just cops out as well, being written off as a dream or a hallucination, and you don't end up trusting the movie because of that. This series so far, I still think Hellraiser 3 is the worst, but this is a close second (although I still haven't seen the infamous Hellraiser 9 yet).
½ March 10, 2014
This just might be the worst Hellraiser film to have been released.

The film centers around a journalist who stumbles upon a cult of non-dead people. Let's just say that Pinhead wants them dead..

Such a waste of space on your DVD rack or in your computers hard drive.