The Hellstrom Chronicle Reviews

• Feb 11, 2018

i loved this nice documentary about insects

i loved this nice documentary about insects

• May 24, 2016

Won 1971 Best Documentary feature Oscar. saw it in theater when came out.

Won 1971 Best Documentary feature Oscar. saw it in theater when came out.

• Oct 19, 2015

Excelente documental ficcionado que habla de los insectos desde un punto de vista super interesante. Las imágenes valen por sí mismas, absolutamente recomendado!

• Feb 13, 2015

"The Hellstrom Chronicle" defende através do discurso científico uma ideia que, três anos mais tarde, seria retomada por "Phase IV" com um novo sentido narrativo: os insectos são bem mais fortes e capazes do que a maioria de nós supõe. Acontece que "The Hellstrom Chronicle" assume essa enorme admiração pela entidade insecto com alguns apontamentos radicais e o modo de pensar livre próprio da década de 70, o que inevitavelmente o deixa um pouco datado. Ainda assim as imagens da vida do insecto são espectaculares e as ideias são desenvolvidas com uma complexidade filosófica que nem sempre encontramos nos documentários da especialidade.

• Dec 19, 2012

A delightfully disturbing mock documentary using scientific information and images from nature to "prove" that mankind is doomed and insects are taking over the world. A classic film which proves that scientific data can be turned into propaganda to prove any social or political point of view--care to prove me wrong, Al Gore?

• May 09, 2012

Won 1971 Best Documentary feature Oscar, but this film all about the insect world is fascinating and - at times - trippy and scary. Even though rated G, the insect violence, creepy narration, and soundtrack make this feel like a horror/sci-fi flick. I mean if you love Docs, you have to see this!

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Mar 19, 2012

Using paranoid purple prose, fictional scientist Dr. Hellstrom narrates this documentary about the evolutionary superiority of insects compared to humans and the inevitability of their eventual triumph over us. Edifying, entertaining and vaguely psychedelic in its presentation; it's like a mondo horror documentary, with scenes of a bulbous termite queen spitting out eggs, a battle between invading wasps and a swarm of bee defenders, and a horde of millions of army ants marching across the savannah consuming every plant, insect or reptile in its path.

• Dec 27, 2009

Beautiful and amazing cinematography and I loved the music by Lalo Schifrin as well. The philosophy presented in the film is extremely pessimistic (and flawed) about the human race, but was probably intended as such to serve as a "wake-up call", plus demonstrate how science can develop rigid and dangerous dogma that does not serve humanity in a constructive way. I happened to watch this after Saul Bass' sci fi film called Phase 4 which pertains to ants. A perfect double bill!

• May 15, 2009

Basically a documentary about insects. With a mad scientist popping in now and then to warn humanity how bugs are going to take over as they are the true masters of the universe. Nevertheless, no science fiction monster could be more scary than the massive hordes of flesh-eating ants.

• Apr 08, 2009

Unlike the quiet and strange beauty of Microcosmos, The Hellstrom Chronicle is presented more like a sci-fi/horror film than a documentary. Although, I guess it's not EXACTLY a documentary... Regardless, this movie is frantic, unusual, and often very frightening. There were many scenes where I felt the need to stand up and shake around. The music, the cinematography, and the narration make for a truly unique and scary experience.