Hellzapoppin' Reviews

• Jul 12, 2019

So zany that not even the fourth wall can contain the chaos, it's the Marx Bros. meet Mel Brooks in this blackout bedlam, a ribald rapid fire riot that barely makes for a single movie yet somehow made up of a movie within a movie within a movie within—well, you get the picture, right down off the wall and still in its frame.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• May 17, 2015

Olsen & Johnson's hit Broadway revue, transferred to the screen with plenty of the zaniness intact.

• Apr 11, 2015

It's 80 minutes of non-stop zaniness! The forth wall broken beyond repair! Complete insanity! A must see! (Also it includes possibly the best dance scene of all time)

• Jul 07, 2014

I was not expecting something as absurdist as this, but it had some scattered amusing gags.

• Feb 20, 2014

Surely one of the strangest movies ever released by a major studio.

Surely one of the strangest movies ever released by a major studio.

• Oct 23, 2013

Wow! Those folks who made Airplane and all the modern parody films must have watched this little gem about a million times. This breaks all the rules and I can only imagine what the live show must have been like. Wonderfully fast paced and, if you don't like the last gag wait another 2 seconds and they'll give you a new one.

• Apr 04, 2012

What a wonderfully inventive, wild comedy this film is. From the opening sequence, which is one of the wildest, insane openings of any old Hollywood film I can think, excluding 'Crime Without Passion', I knew I was in for a real treat. The film revolves around Olsen and Chic, the creators of the ultra-successful Broadway play, Hellzapoppin, who have been brought to Hollywood to make the film adaptation. Of course, the studio insists on changing everything, and madness ensues. The plot really doesn't matter that much, as the two men venture into the actual movie and cause all sorts of chaos. That being said, this is without a doubt the best "movie in a movie" type of film that I have ever seen. Its absolutely bursting at the seems with gags and it's anarchic style mixed with surrealism is just so much fun. What's that about breaking the fourth wall? Well, this film never even establishes it to begin with. Obviously there is a slight commentary on the Studios in this, but really it's just a chaotic slapstick film which I imagine is just as fun now as it was on it's initially release. My favorite segments had to be the part where the two men accidentally find themselves in the middle of a Western, or the part where they tell the kid in the audience who smells to go home. SO much fun.

• Apr 01, 2012

An ebullient golden age comedy full of surreal energy. Notable for containing one of the best dance routines ever committed to film.

• Ken S Super Reviewer
    Jan 22, 2012

Imagine Night at the Opera meets Airplane meets Day and Night. This movie is literally one gag after another, loosely strung together by a plot. And for no reason at all, Frankenstein turns up near the end.