He-Man and She-Ra: A Christmas Special - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

He-Man and She-Ra: A Christmas Special Reviews

December 24, 2014
He-Man and She-Ra unite to save the holidays in the animated feature He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special. When two Earth children are accidentally transported to Eternia, Horde Prime sends Skeletor and Hordak to capture them before they're able to spread the Christmas spirit. The story is contrived and nonsensical, and does a particularly poor job at bridging the He-Man and She-Ra universes. Additionally, the animation is weak and the character designs are substandard. Uninspired and lazy, He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special is a lackluster feature that has nothing to say.
June 1, 2014
While the He-Man and She-Ra story is a little too cute for me, Skeletor steals the entire movie. For him, he has the burden of competing against Hordac for the love of Horde Prime. Skeletor gains the upperhand by kidnapping two children from Earth and an adorable little blue dog. While delivering them to his evil employer, Skeletor learns he has some compassion and ends up saving Christmas. Brings tears to my eyes. Skeletor is clearly the true hero of "Masters of the Universe".
½ March 6, 2014
Rating: 2,5 / 5
So Bad it's Good Rating: 3,5 / 5

If you grew up watching "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" or "She-ra: Princess of Power" or if you're vaguely familiar with the characters and you feel like having a good time at the expense of some cartoon cheesiness, you should grab "He-Man & She-Ra: A Christmas Special" for a spin. The plot follows He-Man (voiced by John Erwin) and She-Ra (voiced by Melendy Britt) as they try to rescue Orko (Lou Scheimer), the foolish court magician. The little guy's accidentally transported himself to Earth and upon his return, brought back two children, Miguel and Alisha. Conveninetly, the two were getting ready for Christmas and can now share the joys of the season with the citizens of Eternia. That's bad news for the villains Skeletor, Hordak and Horde Prime though, who are now hell-bent on removing this spirit of goodness from their world.

The animation here's nothing above TV quality (which is appropriate I guess) so if you're thinking of watching this because you're a fan of hand-drawn animation, you'll be disappointed. There's stock-footage galore, the new characters introduced aren't particularly interesting (Though I did have a good laugh at the expense of the Transformer knock-offs) and there's not much to offer in terms of shading of lighting techniques. The characters are completely one-dimensional, meaning everyone here is pretty dull to follow, save for ol' bonehead Skeletor (Alan Openheimer). He's the reason to watch the movie because eventually, he finds himself stuck escorting the two innocent children to safety, all the while trying to explain to them that he isn't good or even remotely nice, he's evil! If you think you can make some jokes about his cold black heart growing three sizes by the end of the movie, you'd be right. Other than that, there's not much here. The dialogue is cheesy, badly acted or just badly written. The plot is predictable, the children bland and the lesson at the end obvious. If you want to watch this, you better not be thinking it's going to be genuinely good because it has some charm but it really isn't. Watch it for the right reasons: to have some laughs and for nostalgic fun.

Some TV holiday specials actually turn out to be pretty great, in this case not so much. If you want to have a bit of something different this holiday season though, get some of your childhood buddies together and pop in "He-Man and She-Ra: A Christmas Special". It may not be great, but it's entertaining and actually pretty funny to watch. (On Dvd, December 25, 2013)
January 26, 2013
Better than Citizen Kane.
December 31, 2012
He-Man, She-Ra, Orko ... and yes, even Skeletor ... learn the true meaning of Christmas from a couple of Earth kids. If that doesn't warm the cockles of your heart, well ... then you have faulty heart cockles.
December 23, 2012
Really weird ! Having this duo from greyskull tell a Christmas story! Very strange! :p
March 31, 2012
I hadn't seen this since I was a kid, so my memory of it was very vague but fond and warm. He-Man and She-Ra: A Christmas Special definitely doesn't hold up, but it is charming without begin great. There's no possible way to defend it realy. It just is what it is and if you're a fan of the characters then you'll probably like it, but I'd say it's best if you share it with your kids. Not much else to say other than that.
FilmFanatik
January 12, 2012
December 31, 2011
the definitive end of Xmas. now I'm sad.
December 24, 2011
It is what it is, and it isn't what it isn't... Skeletor smiling is hilarious, you 80's kids might dig it.
December 23, 2011
A fun holiday special starring the heroes of Eternia
½ December 11, 2011
He-Man and She-Ra join forces to stop their respective galleries of rogues, as well as Transformer rip-off villain Horde Prime. After a convoluted way of joining our world with Eternia (not as bad as the live-action movie) a pair of Earth Children are lost over the Christmas season. If they spread the message and joy of Christmas it could ruin Horde Prime's plans. The twins bounce between heroes and villains, before ending up with Skeletor, but surely such an evil villain as he will be immune to the warmth and happiness of Christmas. It's a lot of daft fun that brings in weirdo's such as the Manchines. With the mixture of fantasy fairies, sci-fi soldiers, monsters, medieval knights, and giant robots, it's certainly trying to cover all of its toy potential bases. The message really is in the right place, acknowledging that presents can be fun but are not everything, and that not everybody celebrates Christmas. It's the importance of its message that we should focus on. If you're an 80's child, you'll really want to see this.
October 10, 2011
no .. not interested ... hahah .. He-Man !!!! never heard of him..
October 10, 2011
Homosexual children rejoice. I, on the other hand, am not Homosexual. Heck, I have Homosexual friends that'll probably get OFFENDED if I mentioned it to them! (Also, they're mostly girls, and they're way to old for this)
½ January 8, 2011
How about the way He man handels you!
Best line in the special.
½ January 7, 2011
So annoying and irritating!
½ December 8, 2010
i hate this special. the story is stupid, the action is bad and this special is pretty much plain bad. its stupid, silly and it makes no sense. even with the gay overtones, it is still a bad film.
November 20, 2010
A complete 'Cheesefest' by today's standards, but quite good for the 80's
September 15, 2010
I'm in awe over this thing's existence.
½ July 27, 2010
Bwaaaaaaaa hahahahahahahahaha...bwwwwaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahhah! Sorry let me wipe the tears away...Bwwawawawawwawahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah