Hemel Reviews

• Mar 23, 2014

Pretentious skin flick. The writer and director really have nothing much to say, but say it anyway. So what you have is 80 or so minutes of waffling, drifting, meaninglessness. To alleviate the boredom, and make more men watch the movie, there are a few sex/nudity scenes. Even these aren't appealing, as they are fairly perverse and seemed included to gross out the audience. In some way they do go to demonstrate the personality and life of the lead character, so aren't entirely gratuitous. Performances are okay, I suppose, given what the actors had to work with. Best thing (and only good thing) about the movie is the end, of course. And it seems to arrive out of the blue. One of the more pleasant surprises in my movie-watching life.

• Oct 22, 2013

Slow, uneventful, and explicit European film about a very close father-daughter relationship, 'Hemel' charms with its ritzy settings of concert halls and auction houses but it doesn't do much with the uncomfortable subject matter.

• Jul 08, 2013

Posessive relationship between father and daughter tested by the father's new girlfriend.

• Sep 08, 2012

Una mirada sordida y real en la vida de una mujer quien para tapar la falta de afecto en su vida se embarca en una espiral de promiscuidad que la hace sentir cada vez mas vacia.

• May 30, 2012

Gorgeous. Reminds me that I crave connection but freak when I get it.

Gorgeous. Reminds me that I crave connection but freak when I get it.

• May 23, 2012

With almost claustraphobic camerawork focusing on the title character, we see this sex-obsessed woman's inner life. It's not just that she has sex a lot, but she thinks of all people in relation to the sex that person is having with other people. Her virgin-but-engaged step-brother perplexes her and she is quite rude when trying to explore why someone would do that. Further, her relationship with her father is awkward and hard to watch; clearly there is some Electra complexities going on in this relationship. But the camera hovers in the faces of the characters, barely opening up to a shot wide enough to fit a conversation into. Challenging to watch.

• Apr 06, 2012

This film from the Netherlands is sort of a female version of Shame. However, I didn't like it as much. There were some good scenes but it ultimately lead nowhere.