Hemingway & Gellhorn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hemingway & Gellhorn Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
Truth, and uncomfortable. But alas, discomfort is a gift when it is truthful.
August 28, 2016
I had not heard of this movie and just saw it on Amazon Prime. I thought it was an excellent movie - although Clive Owen did a great job - he was not as believable as Hemingway as I'm sure someone else might have been...However, Nicole Kidman was fabulous!! That is the best acting I have ever seen her do. She just gets better as she get a little older.
½ August 12, 2016
Very bad directed.
The intentions on putting the original documents of the history inside the movie and at the very same time tell a novel is good but does not work properly.
December 7, 2015
such a bad movie, it was just impossible to feel the greatness of the personality of each character, bad , bad acting from Kidman and Owen, good budget wasted
November 16, 2015
Utter crap! Looked like it was filmed in Wales, really cheesy acting, Clive Owen looked more like Groucho Marx than Hemingway! Kidman had a fixed look on her face throughout (as above). What a waste of 1 hour of
my life, I didn't bother finishing the film.
September 4, 2015
It just looks so... unreal, no matter what; plus long & boring.
August 11, 2015
Have no idea how this movie got anything above a 20 score from either aisle. It's pure crap, and I've become convinced that "Hemingway & Gellhorn" was the take-no-prisoners revenge of a severely pissed off & bitter Sherwood Anderson.

#1: Casting of Clive Owen is DESTRUCTIVELY bad. Between the boorish Clive Owen being completely mis-cast, the words he's got to draw from and the actions he takes induce more snickers and spit-takingly horrible fits of laughter than ANY form of drama. At one point he KICKS in a door during an air raid (while in Spain with a kittenish & absurdly naive Gellhorn), grabs Gellhorn in his arms, then wisks her off to another room to bang her brains out WHILE THE BOMBS DROP OUTSIDE THE FRIGGIN' WINDOW.

Yea. That bad, and in more places than one. I feel bad for the actors. In a movie that otherwise could be called one of the best-cast in any TV film in recent years it seemed the producer/directors wanted to waste as much acting talent as they could pull aboard.

#2 The movie could not decide what it was, what it should look like, or how it should feel throughout its entirety. I understand the attempt may have been a noble one in switching from black & white footage to sepia, to color, etc. as a "romantic character" itself in the film- but this was an example of straight confusion.

On some occaions the elements of the film were grafted into archived footage, some cases not, some cases just the archive footage was shown, some cases chrystal-clear colors.

...While Clive Owen kicked in doors and made love to Gellhorn as the grenades exploded dangerously close to their various extremities.

Maybe the worst scene in the entire film was when (gulp) Hemingway's character decided it wise to play Russian Roulet with a Russian general in order to (lmao) DRUNKENLY protect the weak little sparrow that was Gellhorn from said General from having to dance.

The whole scene is so ludicrously bad one (again) finds it tough not to just bust out laughing at a scene who's intent was not in the least to invoke such a response.

The movie carries on like this for its entirety. Every minute I broke from looking away at the horror that it was, I would eventually look back out of shear morbid curiosity to see what they'd done to Hemingway's memory, and BOOM another bomb goes off with Hemingway swooping in to save Gellhorn from the horror that is war by banging away on her, framed on the screen as tactfully as the cover of a ten-cent bodice-ripper paperback.

All of that acting talent, wasted on a script that was egregiously bad, filmed entirely during amateur hour.
½ June 12, 2015
I don't know man. I was getting ready to dislike it, but then they kinda pulled it out of the fire with than ending for me. Glad I saw it all in all.
February 18, 2015
Good movie till the ending.
½ February 17, 2015
I had heard rumors that Hemingway was misogynistic and this movie portrayed that well. Also, it drove home to me how little I knew about the man and his life. And I've never read anything by him. Something to correct in the future.
½ August 30, 2014
Owen and Kidman were great together in this movie. This was an intense story about writers in love during war.
½ August 23, 2014
Glimrende film om Hemingway (Clive Owen) og hans tredje kone, krigskorrespondenten der nægtede at blive en fodnote i et andet menneskes liv, fremragende portrætteret af Nicole Kidman. En for mig ukendt filmperle (lavet af HBO til tv), som jeg tilfældigt faldt over på DR2 i går.
August 10, 2014
Cheesy but enjoyable enough if you're a Hemingway fan.
½ July 24, 2014
a good romantic drama between two great writers in the middle of world war 2 which started a 9year relationship. glehorn would continue reporting about all wars and inhumane mistreatment of humans long after Hemingway passing. a long movie about 2 1/2 hours long but every entertaining.
½ May 27, 2014
Not that good.
I wanted to like it because I wanted to learn about these people, but the acting by Owen and the directing and writing were sub-par IMO.
April 20, 2014
never read any Hemingway myself, but am enjoying all his wives' tales.
April 10, 2014
It starts off really well and the acting is real good but the kinda love story between them just ruins it.
½ January 19, 2014
Some nice things to see , but after 90 minutes i've seen it well ....much to long , so played it fast forward after 90 minutes !
January 8, 2014
"Hemingway & Gellhorn" is a sometimes fascinating look at "Papa" (Hemingway) and his relationship with a war correspondent through some of the worst wars in history. Hemingway's chauvinism and drinking are heavily on display here. Mixing fictional drama with real life pictures and film stock was an interesting choice for this biopic. The performance by Nicole Kidman as Gellhorn is utterly brilliant. Clive Owen as Hemingway has his moments but is sometimes awkward. The major problem with the movie is the lack of a theme. The movie sort of rambles on and fixates on Gellhorn being a strong woman and not just a footnote to Hemingway's brilliance. In the movie though, she somewhat seems like a footnote.