Henri Langlois: The Phantom of the Cinematheque Reviews

• Feb 24, 2011

This was so cool! Langlois was quite hilarious and very special.

This was so cool! Langlois was quite hilarious and very special.

• Nov 13, 2010

A must-see documentary for anyone who truly loves film. Henri is likely my favorite 'hoarder' of all time. His obsession saved a lot of film prints for future generations and his Cinematheque showings really got the word out about a lot of older films. It's a shame that his movie memorabilia museum isn't there anymore attached to a theater. I would've loved to go there.

• Apr 27, 2010

[img]http://www.moviecitynews.com/reviews/images/2004/henri.jpg[/img] This man is my hero. I just saw a documentary about him on TCM and I could not stop watching. He spent his life trying to keep old films from being lost forever. Every lover of film should bow down to this man. I recommand this film to you all. It has so many famous directors coming to his aid when he was in trouble. Seeing Trauffut and Godard together stand up for him in a massive crowd was a sight to see. He even built a museum for film but sadly it is closed. In the museum he had a set piece from The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari that you could walk through and he had the robot suit from Metropolis to name a few. I could go on about how great this film is....

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Apr 27, 2010

[font=Century Gothic]"Henri Langlois: The Phantom of the Cinematheque" is a rambling, informative documentary about Henri Langlois(1914-1977), legendary founder and director of the Cinematheque Francais who saved countless films from destruction, sometimes under semi-heroic situations. The Cinematheque showed countless older films that could not be seen elsewhere, providing a first class education in cinema to future filmmakers especially French new wave directors like Francois Truffaut and Jean-Luc Godard. (Even in this day of the DVD player, I still prefer seeing a movie in a theatre whenever I have the chance.) The documentary mostly consists of archival footage and interviews with collaborators. Overall, it illustrates perfectly why we need people like Langlois to preserve film and educate young cineastes. If the movie has a fault, it is perhaps too one-sided and does come perilously close to conspiracy theories at times.[/font]

• Nov 24, 2009

The love of cinema runs deep -- if only we all got to experience the time when the Cinematheque Francaise was itself a revolution worth fighting for. (Thanks to this film, we get glimpses into what sort of a place it was, at least).

• cody f Super Reviewer
    Apr 06, 2009

A good documentary about the greatness of Cinematheque co-founder Henri Langlois. I always knew the influence of the Cinematheque on the French New Wave filmakers, but this film shows how Langlois ran it and what films he re-introduced to the public. This was obviously made for French television and I would like to see a slower paced and more in depth documentary on Langlois and the Cinematheque.The doc. goes into how he saved films from the Nazis, American and European studios from being destroyed. He was the first film preservationist and collected movie memorabilia from the first 50 years of film. It goes into how he got films and would show a film only once every 10 years or so.The film also goes into Langlois struggle with the government and lack of funds. The Cinematheque must have been amazing in it's heyday. Langlois received a Honorary Oscar in 1974 for his preservation efforts and reintroduction of forgotten films.

• Mar 28, 2009

A solid document of the archival efforts carried out by Langlois. The interviews are wide-ranging, from historians looking back on his life to filmmakers and friends who were a part of it. Langlois' vibrancy and excitement for film is infectious, and his life offers a glimpse of the impact one man can have through the cinema.

• Nov 04, 2008

A movie every cinema lover should see - Langlois is the man we owe it all to.

A movie every cinema lover should see - Langlois is the man we owe it all to.

• Mar 16, 2008

A fascinating view of a man who truly understood the importance of cinema and gleefully allowed it to consume his life. Oh, and by the way, the running time is not 3 hours and 30 minutes, as this listing indicates.

• Feb 02, 2008

A giant of world cinema to whom we owe so much. May his memory never die!

A giant of world cinema to whom we owe so much. May his memory never die!