Henry Poole Is Here - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Henry Poole Is Here Reviews

½ June 14, 2016
A seriously boring and depressing film complete with what may perhaps be a warning message regarding the unthinking gullibility of religiosity and how it can lead one to worship water stains.
January 5, 2016
I saw this movie again tonight after first seeing it when it was released in 2008 . I absolutely loved it! The human tragedy and the hope that springs up in the darkest places is emulated in this sweet story . No complaints about the acting and I love the quirky oldtime actors they put to work in bit parts in this. A must see for those looking for movies that doesn't shy away from portraying raw emotions
October 2, 2014
WOW! I love this movie!! When I first read about it I thought it was going to be just a silly comedy but it's an amazing heartwarming tear jerker that deserves to be watched! Absolutely love it!! At the end if you already have faith it'll make it stronger or hopefully help you have faith :)
½ July 28, 2014
I liked the depressing atmosphere of the film but the score seems inconvenient.
½ June 20, 2014
Stick a fork in Mark Pellington--he's done. In the DVD liner notes, Pellington states that this film contains everything he wants to say to the world. Apparently, what he wants to say to the world is "don't think, just have blind faith."

A music video director who drowns his films in his tacky style, Pellington apparently channels his feelings over the death of his wife into this film, which puts me in the rather uncomfortable position of saying "Sorry your wife died, but your film sucks." Endlessly awful music video montages substitute for character development, a priest character turns up to provide a voice of moral reason, and an Adorable Little Blonde Girl Has a Sad Secret(TM). It gets worse. Yes, this film is about the Good Lord Almighty, and about how if you just sacrifice every thought in your head and surrender every hope in your heart to a higher power, God will give you a Movie Miracle(TM) to cure your Fictional Life-Threatening Movie Disease(TM).

I'd rather keep the cancer, thanks.
½ March 14, 2014
tiene una lógica interesante la actuación de Luke wilson... se nota que el compadre no estaba destinado a quedarse en películas hallmark.
December 18, 2013
I missed it when it was in theatres...
September 3, 2013
I really do think this movie had potential, and I really wanted to like it, but there were simply too many issues when it came to execution. Most of the performances are solid, especially Luke Wilson's, but they all suffer from problems originating from the script. People do things simply because the flimsy plot requires them to, and characters get into theological debates that wouldn't actually happen in real life because the screenwriter obviously doesn't understand the concept of subtlety. I understand suspension of disbelief, but the movie consistently throws situations at the audience and simply tells them to just roll with it. And that may be fine with other genres, but when it comes to a drama like this, it needs to be as realistic as possible in order to be immersive. I will say that this film isn't necessarily religious propaganda. It's not a message about having faith in a God, but more so a statement about having a positive outlook on the world and living life to it's fullest. And while it's definitely a position that's done to death, this movie didn't portray that mindset obnoxiously. The movie sort of just presented it, but I think it could have felt more real and legitimately touching if the script were given a couple more rewrites.
June 16, 2013
Henry Poole: Hope doesn't save lives.
April 5, 2013
I had no preconceptions of this film, and despite a story that would normally annoy me, it pulled me in and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The cast were fantastic, and the story left me with much to think about.
April 4, 2013
Very predictable ending, but otherwise good acting from Luke Wilson
½ February 12, 2013
A heartwarming story of hope & the mystery of belief.
½ December 24, 2012
kristlik draama. pole nagu üldse halb film..aga kristlik teema võtab punni maha.
December 22, 2012
Esta película representa el clichà (C) fastidioso de las películas sobre milagros. Se me hace una falta de respeto que lo muestren con personas que parecen fanáticos religiosos y un Luke Wilson que no me convence.
½ November 7, 2012
A totally believable, sad & funny little movie about the power of finding faith.
From the director of ARLINGTON ROAD and THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES, Mark Pellington's Film HENRY POOLE IS HERE is a very enjoyable movie going experience that finds lead actor Luke Wilson a role worthy of his broad skills as an actor that he is not usually given an opportunity to use. B+
October 20, 2012
i stumbled on this one, a sunday afternoon tv movie that was much more than what i expected. luke plays a man who has received news that he is going to die and so goes off to do just that but life begs him to want more. the movie begs the question "can all the truly great things in life exist even when there is no hope?" can unconditional love exist without hope? does love breed hope? is faith possible without hope or does the effort of unwaivering faith breed hope? if you're in the mood this movie has the capacity to make you ponder things deeper than the movie itself. if you're not in the mood, luke wilson is always nice to look at.
October 7, 2012
i want to see more of these type of stories in theaters. it felt like an awesome independent film. :)
October 1, 2012
For some reason I've always like Luke Wilson. This was an okay film but it could have been better.
½ September 18, 2012
Good Director , Bad Writer .... !
½ August 20, 2012
it was sort of depressing.