Herb & Dorothy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Herb & Dorothy Reviews

February 6, 2011
This old couple is really cute. They share their passion through collecting arts. Unfortunately, I can't understand how good their collections are...
½ January 23, 2011
An adorable couple who devotes themselves into modern art.
January 15, 2011
The Vogels were a good subject for a documentary, but the film itself was amateurish. It felt like I was watching someone's home movie, shot in 4:3 on an old camcorder. The filmmaker made an attempt at breaking the story into chapters, but it felt convoluted. Nonetheless, I was glad this film was made as I wouldn't have heard of the Vogels otherwise.
January 1, 2011
I love these people. So much.
½ December 20, 2010
Although the documentary essentially spends an hour and a half underscoring the point, "Isn't this old couple fascinating, adorable, and downright charming as fuck?", it is still a lovable little documentary. And the answer is, yes, they are charming as fuck.
½ October 26, 2010
Herb and Dorthy Vogel walked fine line between collecting and hoarding, but kept the art economy alive to eat and paint day after day. A charming film about two of New York's collectors of minimalist and conceptualist American art, who collected and stuffed 4,000 plus art pieces in their Manhattan apartment filled with turtles, fish and cats o'plenty--all while earning modest incomes.
October 7, 2010
Explores the fine line between collecting and hoarding--but overall an interesting film about two of New York's unlikeliest collectors of minimalist and conceptualist American art.
September 23, 2010
Not of my interest. I didn't last long.
July 25, 2010
Bom Documentário. Apaixonante o casal de velhinhos apaixonados por Arte Contemporânea.
July 7, 2010
Interesting. But they were hoarders, not collectors. At least in the end. Having seen some modern art in NYC I'm more open to it, but some of the stuff these guys were buying was a joke. They had 4000+ pieces stuffed in their one bedroom rent-controlled apartment along with at least a few cats, turtles in several tanks and several fish. Every square inch of wall space is covered with art, and some of that is covered with blankets for protection light. Starting to sound a little crazy? At some point they decide to give the whole thing away to the National Gallery in DC, but they end up accepting only 1000 pieces. That tells you all you need to know about the value of the collection.

Certainly an interesting couple who had a passion for art. But I have a hard time believing they had an eye for good art, as it seems much of what they bought they had to convince the artist himself it was something worth selling. Then again, art is in the eye of the beholder. Someday I will get to the National Gallery and take a look at the collection.

And I'd love to know how much they paid for all this stuff!
June 13, 2010
this was one of the most inspiring things I've seen in a long time. If you aren't on the verge of tears/joy by the closing scene where they are buying their first laptop at Tekserve, then you are not alive.

its almost impossible to believe that these people are real.
½ May 31, 2010
A great documentary on minimalist/conceptual art and this great couple that amassed a legendary collection on their government employees income. Really shows what dedication and focus can do.
May 3, 2010
An intimate and unusual portrait of extreme passion.
½ April 8, 2010
Refrescante: por ese tipo de historias amo y amaré Nueva York.
March 15, 2010
There was real potential to explore not just the obsessive couple, but also the individual works of art they collected. The amateurish photography detracts from the overall presentation value and does not help the viewer appreciate either the couple or the art.
½ March 8, 2010
Herb & Dorothy (dir: Megumi Sasaki) Doc sobre os maiores colecionadores de arte contemporânea do mundo: 2 velhinhos pobretas de NY. Nice.
February 4, 2010
very inspiring! you don't need to be rich to collect art. Just have a passion and an eye for art. After 40 years, they collected 4782 pieces and GAVE them away, mainly to National Gallery of Art. I took a few photos of the artwork without realizing they came from such a remarkable couple.
½ January 29, 2010
I think Herb and Dorothy are going to be featured on the next episode of Hoarders. The difference being that the other people's collections of shit aren't worth tens of millions of dollars.
½ January 29, 2010
Herb and Dorothy are an engaging couple because they dont talk the artiste talk, they just feel and buy what they like, they go all out to the artistes' studios to understand, make friends, and buy from the artistes. They do not make any money from their passion. To have a passion, (and find a life-long partner that shares the same dream and passion), and eventually contribute to the scene / society, that is like the ultimate dream.