Hercules, Samson and Ulysses Reviews

• Sep 05, 2017

So sue me, I liked it. Sometimes cheese is what's for dinner. I liked the character of Delilah. I liked her interactions with Hercules. I liked she was the brains behind the throne. And c'mon, a showdown between two legendary strongmen of different cultures - how can that not be epic? Yes, they're throwing styrofoam boulders at each other. It's still epic, dagnabbit!

• Dec 04, 2016

The two legendary strongmen, along with Ulysses set out to kill an evil sea monster. Overall, this film reminded me of the SNL Bill Murray Hercules skit ("That boulder is too large. I could life a smaller one."). This film pretty much hits every cornball Italian strongman film cliche and it's all quite entertaining. This one is high camp that is very fun to ironically watch.

• Oct 10, 2016

mixes history with mythology the result is an ok sword n sandal import.

mixes history with mythology the result is an ok sword n sandal import.

• Sep 14, 2009

Oh, I'm sorry, were you expecting logic from a movie entitled, "Hercules, Samson and Ulysses"? No, this movie is exactly what it sounds like. It has a terrible script where characters introduce themselves by referring to themselves in the third person,"And that way no one will ever know that Samson was in the village.", characters riding by the same scenery over and over again, the same two shots of soldiers being knocked of horses by spears used over and over again. I could go on, but you get the picture. In fact the best part of this movie is a decent fight scene between Samson and Hercules where the two muscle men use a variety of weapons, throw each other around, knock over several Styrofoam rocks and finally end the fight with the line, "I've never met a man as strong as you. We should team up."

• Byron B Super Reviewer
    Jul 08, 2008

An Italian 60's sword and sandal epic. Look at the ridiculousness of the title. It's pretty clear what you're getting into with a movie that brings those three hero characters together. There is a strongman fight between Hercules and Samson and of course it's full of bad special effects. In fact the whole movie is filled with sci-fi laser gun sound effects when arrows are shot or slings or spears are thrown. Sometimes laughable mostly just a waste of time.

• Jan 29, 2008

A definite cut above the usual sword and sandals, this film is more adult (from Delilah's revealing striptease--which ends early, of course--to shots of helpless Jews being crucified by Philistines). I'll definitely show this next time I teach peplum films. Of course the acting is awful and the plot has gaping holes, but for a peplum, I think it's visibly superior to the usual fare.