Here Comes Mr. Jordan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Here Comes Mr. Jordan Reviews

June 6, 2016
I don't like Robert Montgomery. Is there something wrong with me? I hate his acting and vibe, especially in this. Not for me.
May 6, 2015
The original Heaven Can Wait starring Robert Montgomery (Bewitchs Elizabeth Montgomerys Father). Wonderful performances from James Gleason, Edward Everett Horton and they always spot on Claude Rains. A great comedy.
April 2, 2015
Starring Robert Montgomery, Claude Rains and Evelyn Keyes. You may already know the basic premise since it was remade as "Heaven Can Wait" with Warren Beatty in 1978 and more recently as "Down to Earth" (2001) with Chris Rock. Joe Pendleton (Montgomery) is a saxophone-playing boxer who is plucked from an airplane disaster by a heavenly messenger (Edward Everett Horton). In his haste, the messenger neglects to save Pendleton's body from being destroyed in the crash so a new 'vessel' must be found for the former athlete's spirit. Mr. Jordan (Rains), who is in charge of newly arrived souls in Heaven, solves the dilemma by placing Pendleton inside the body of just-murdered millionaire Bruce Farnsworth and revives him, completely baffling Farnsworth's evil wife (Rita Johnson) and her lover (John Emery). Complicating matters even further are Farnsworth's romance with a woman (Keyes) handling a financial crisis for her father and his preparation for a championship boxing match under Pendleton's former trainer (James Gleason). In spite of its outlandish premise, "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" successfully suspends one's disbelief through its expert performances, witty dialogue, and energetic direction by Alexander Hall.
½ March 8, 2015
I thoroughly liked this film. I remember it coming on TV many times and never got tired of it. Wholesome and enjoyable.
½ February 19, 2015
A clever idea dealing with life after death, it was a rather ridiculous towards the end though.
February 9, 2015
Truly original in it's concept.Great comedy with a dash of serious and sad undertones. A good comic platform for James Gleason, who plays the role to it's fullest. Robert Montgomery shows there is more to having true heart: than a body.
July 1, 2014
Better than I was expecting. Montgomery and Rains are very good in their roles, and it was nice seeing Edward Everett Horton in this, he's fast becoming one my favorite classic Hollywood character actors. Very enjoyable movie.
December 13, 2013
Old classic typical of movies made during wartime regarding heaven & the afterlife. To lift people's spirits my grandad told me
October 15, 2013
Although a carbon copy of Heaven Can Wait, Jordan is a far superior film. The characters are loveable and you truly want to see a reconciliation of matters from the heavens. Beatty would of course ruin the story in his remake of Heaven Can Wait which liberally steals from Jordan.
August 14, 2013
A low-fantasy stunner with tender direction, a big heart, and terrific performances all around.
*4/4*
May 30, 2013
The classic 'get a second chance at life by returning in a recently dead person's body' story that is so good, it has been remade at least twice.
May 27, 2013
Robert Montgomery plays fighter Joe Pendleton whose spirit is prematurely snatched from his body when it appears his plane is about to crash. Claude Rains plays Mr. Jordan, the angel whose job is to find a suitable replacement body so Pendleton can fight for the championship. Claude Rains plays a similar role in Angel on My Shoulder which starred Paul Muni.

This movie is superior to the 1979 remake, Heaven Can Wait, starring Warren Beatty and Julie Christie. Except for making the protagonist a football player instead of a boxer, the remake copied the original story line exactly in almost every respect, e.g., a businessman being murdered by his wife and his attorney, a crooked businessman falling in love when he meets the woman that he is swindling, the scenes when he convinces his friend who he really is, transferring his spirit to an athlete dying during competition, and the ending scene when he runs into the woman and they try to remember if they ever met before. In 2001, the film was remade is a miserable film on every level, with the dreadful decision to make our hero a comic rather than an athlete.

James Gleason plays Joe's trainer Max Corkle, who nearly steals ever scene he is in. The scene where Joe, in his new body, hires Gleason and then tries to convince him of his real identity, is just hysterical.
½ May 21, 2013
March 29, 2013
This movie is a delight. Robert Montgomery (whom I know from his umpteenth appearances in Joan Crawford pictures) is a delight. Claude Rains is a delight. Delightful.
March 18, 2013
Truly original in it's concept.Great comedy with a dash of serious and sad undertones--The soul lives on!!
½ February 22, 2013
It's like a bad cross between It's A Wonderful Life and a Twilight Zone episode. Critics like this??
January 16, 2013
While it's good, and Claude Reins is awesome (as always), I still would rather watch the remake called "Heaven Can Wait" more often.
½ January 1, 2013
first version of this remade as 'heaven can wait' and something else
½ May 25, 2012
Joe Pendleton (Montgomery) is slowly rising as a champion boxer, and has just won a big deal match. On the side, Joe is also a pilot AND a saxophone player, and the two don't mix well when he crashes his plane on the way to a fight. He dies and goes to heaven, and there he meets Mr. Jordan (Rains) who is pretty much the master of everybody's fate. It turns out that Joe wasn't supposed to die-- so Mr. Jordan decides to put him inside a selfish millionaire's body, a man who was just murdered by his wife (Johnson) and her lover. If Joe cleans up the millionaire's messes, Mr. Jordan will give him the chance to fight in the championship-- but things get complicated when Joe falls for a beautiful woman (Keyes) who was screwed by the man Joe's using as a body.. "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is one of the films credited with inspiring both Ernst Lubitsch's version of "Heaven Can Wait" and Warren Beatty's. Unfortunately, this film isn't as good as the other two. Yes, "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is still good-- it's charming, lighthearted, and entertaining, but the problem is is whatever parts could be satirical or even dark never happen. The biggest issue here is Alexander Hall's direction-- the film remains to be a by-the-numbers '40's film, and considering what a unique idea this film holds, it just be bursting by the seams unique. Unfortunately, that just doesn't happens. We're instead left with a fine, pleasing film-- but ultimately forgettable. At least the performances by all the actors are good. "Here Comes Mr. Jordan" is a decent watch, but it's never as funny as it could be.