Herman's House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Herman's House Reviews

August 2, 2013
Wow was I disappointed by this movie. Because they can't get footage of Herman his voice overs are all we get and they're usually laid over boring, weird or badly directed shots. There's not nearly enough story to tell so the documentary goes on these long tangents about the artist's family issues, her protesting george bush and Herman's sister. Every once and a while the movie hints that its going to get on track but then immediately heads off on another boring random tangent. The epitome of this movie's aimlessness is a scene where the artists argues with some random old man as to whether or not being in solitary is a cruel or unusual punishment.
October 15, 2012
This is an interesting, compelling and disturbing documentary of the relationship between a young performance artist and a 40 year long-time solitary confinement prisoner in a Louisiana federal prison. Helping Herman Wallace escape his confinement by designing his 'ideal' concept of home, Jackie loses herself within his struggle. By the end of the movie you are left dazed and confused by how this vibrant, iconoclastic artist has become as trapped and confined as Herman by her own innate goodness and unresolved emotional needs. Having made a commitment to Herman, Jackie appears unable to find a way out or forward losing any meaningful objectivity on the way. Her beautiful New Orleans home stands in stark contract to Herman's imaged one - which is a smash up between the American dream and a replica of his prison cell. This is most definitely a story to be told - but not a house to be built!
October 9, 2012
Amazing how one man not only has the energy to stay sane, but to inspire others as well.
½ September 27, 2012
This was a surprisingly amazing movie, from the desc I didn't expect to like it, but since I got to watch part of it while volunteering I checked it out, and very interesting+cool!