Heroes of the East Reviews

February 1, 2015
I enjoyed it a lot... :-)
March 2, 2014
AKA 'Shaolin Challenges Ninja', AKA Gordon Liu Smacks a Little Japanese Girl Around For a Half Hour or So. Great Chinese vs. Japanese martial arts demonstrations as Liu and his arranged bride, Yuka Mizuno, bicker and argue (and fight) over whose culture is superior. Once the Japanese masters take up Liu's misguided challenge, the fight sequences really get good. Noted as being a "respectful" Chinese take on Japanese martial arts, but only to the extent it doesn't mock them openly -- at least not after the first half.
November 25, 2012
Mizuno Yuko is adorable as Gordon Liu's earnest Japanese bride who insists that her culture is superior in martial arts. Marital bliss evaporates soon there after in this bloodless Sino-Japanese war of the roses.
½ July 6, 2012
Personally, I found the story and writing to be frustrating. I loved the insane fight scenes but when you think about why the fight scenes are happening, it comes off as silly, dumb, and just frustrating. Oh, and I hated that Kung Zi character. At least it all wraps up rather nicely and almost makes up for all of it.
½ December 6, 2011
Best kung fu movie I've ever seen!
½ May 17, 2011
Not all the fights are great. Some are boring. But this is a very good martial arts movie. The ninja scenes in particular are so much fun.
June 30, 2009
Awesome! Not a bad job at making comparisons of the Japanese vs. Chinese martial arts styles, though a little one-sided of course. I liked the story, and the kick-ass woman too :)
August 16, 2008
[color=black]The greatest martial arts film I have seen. A terrific story of marital dysfunctional and rivalry between nations plays host to some of the most vivid, thrilling fight scenes ever filmed. Amazingly every fight scene in this film is on par with the others. Usually martial art films will have one or two stand out set pieces and smaller scenes peppered about, but in [i][color=black]Heroes[/color] of the [color=black]East[/color][/i] each fight scene is handled with the same amount of care and attention, which is no small deal as the majority of the film is the fight scenes. Incredibly for a film that is mostly action scenes, no one dies or gets seriously injured in the entire movie. This film is about two nation's warriors learning to respect each other's technique and culture not about striking down the opponent. The marital dysfunction scenes that set the film in motion are also hugely entertaining. One scene in particular in which husband and wive throw down their country's hidden weapons on a table recalls the great Hollywood comedies of the 30s and 40s. Combining the best of both worlds [i][color=black]Heroes[/color] of the [color=black]East[/color][/i] becomes a relentlessly entertaining, inventive masterpiece.[/color]