Heung gong yau gok hor lei wood (Hollywood Hong-Kong) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Heung gong yau gok hor lei wood (Hollywood Hong-Kong) Reviews

½ March 11, 2010
cruel historia del buen fruit chan en donde juega con los sueños de unos para desacer otros,prostitucion,violencia,de escenario los barrios marginados de hong kong y la plaza hollywod donde donde se batalla con la pobreza real y un sueño americano que se a hido posponiendo pero que se culminara sea cual sea el precio,una cruda realidad entrmezclada con un buen humor acido y negro
September 23, 2009
Funny, absurd and tragic. Abosolute dark humour
August 21, 2009
It is only in attempting to fulfill my goal of seeing everything with mainland China's best actress, Zhou Xun, in it that I gave this one a spin. Fruit Chan is not my kind of director and Zhou was not featured enough in the film to win me over with just her. The cinematography isn't stunning nor is the story spellbinding. It isn't even just pretty to look at. Lots of dirt and sweat. The characters are well portrayed but didn't engage me. Chan's film's need to be approached critically and since I didn't feel like hitch-hiking on metaphors this film came up flat.
February 13, 2009
Dark Humor. Like gangs chopping off a guy's arm. But they soon realised they chopped the wrong guy's arm off.
December 1, 2008
I've seen this movie two times and a half. This is because the first time I saw it I was only able to watch half of it; but this half intrigued me. This is a very interesting movie, as director Fruit Chan actually plays with our senses. It is amazing how he turns a morbid weird plot, into a magic captivating imaginery. Also it is amazing how how as the story evolves, one as a viewer starts feeling a contradiction, between what is actually happening and what is seen on screen (which although it may sound weird, is different one from the other).
October 4, 2008
Incredibly unique and colourful, as the movie reflects the changing scenery of HK in terms of its obsolete ghettos and the mainland Chinese immigrants. Bizarre scenes with hand reattachment along with many others that cause a good laughter. May not be everyone but definitely for anyone who is still attached to the Hong Kong culture.
April 14, 2008
twisted... colorful, musty, smelly... loved the photography and misc-en-scene.
½ March 23, 2008
Fruit Chan is a real Hong Kong director.
½ February 20, 2008
i admire fruit chan very much after watching this movie. someone said that Wong Kar Wai's movie might not be the cup of tea to everyone, even belongs to cult. but fruit chan can make his movies to suit both refined and popular tastes.
January 10, 2008
disturbing but worth watching
½ December 30, 2007
Off the hook. This is a brilliant and side-splitting funny.
December 20, 2007
Fruit Chan's films depict some real aspects of the Hong Kong society. Most of his productions score low in the box office. "Hollywood Hong Kong" is the first of his "Prostitute" trilogy. It dramatically displays how a wealthy person, a prostitute in this case, exploits young and poor men's love. I really enjoy it. I believe that it portrays how devastating money and power can hurt people and society. Kudos to Fruit Chan for repeatedly starring people who are not actors. Xun Zhou is the only professional of the entire acting crew. Her song is fabulous for this film as well.
December 17, 2007
messed up movie. poor dude who gets the wrong arm re-attached.lol.
but yeah Martin Im is right.. cute actress 3 less cute actors. haha.
November 25, 2007
leave a deep impression when i watched this
½ November 7, 2007
Fruit Chan is probably one of the most talented film directors from HK when it comes down to capturing and telling Hong Kong stories in poignant realism.

"Little Cheung" would be my fave film out of all his works (but it can't be found on "flixter"?
September 2, 2007
great film, pretty under rated too
½ August 19, 2007
Cute movie with one cute actress, and three less cute actors. Another Fruit Chan portrait of 2000+ Hong Kong.
½ July 10, 2007
You can see how much effort Fruit Chan had put to deliver the HK culture on big screen.
½ June 21, 2007
This makes me want to see more of Fruit Chan's works.
June 9, 2007
gloomy but hilarious. the red color is fantastic in this movie.