Hey Good Lookin' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hey Good Lookin' Reviews

January 29, 2016
I really like the idea of Ralph Bakshi doing a sort of coming of age comedy set in the 1950's. While this film is not perfect, but there's some good writing here and a few cool characters. I think out of all the Bakshi films I've seen, this one might have my favorite ending.
June 30, 2015
The animation is beautiful, yet the story lacks much substance or poignance, despite having an excellent voice cast to boot.
½ February 24, 2014
Like most Bakshi films, it's got a great soundtrack but even that can't save it from a lazy plot filled with unlikable characters.
½ March 4, 2012
Amazing Artwork For Its Time, A Little Over the Top In Its Sexuality But a True Representation Cuz So Were The Times.
November 28, 2011
there are many who dont like ralph bakshis movie but i do because they are so unique and very bizzare. This one is an interesting look at the 50s and once again another very odd ball movie
September 2, 2011
Ah Bakshi, where to begin?

Here, actually. Compared to his other works it walks a nice line between focused and sincere and...not. I'd recommend it as a good place to start the Bakshi experience. Maybe I'm actually saying that because it was the last one left on my Bakshi list. It certainly excels at the most enthralling quality that all his works share. That quality is not, however, being the only quasi-above ground american animator who works in sex and violence, but the only film maker I've seen who presents something that seems simultaneously flown by the seat of its pants and with surgical precision.
½ August 13, 2011
One of Ralph Bakshi's most underrated films in my opinion. This film is basically a satire about life in the 1950's in Brooklyn, but its strange style is what make it really entertaining. This film is humorous, dirty (It definitely earns its R-rating), and also dark with its violence and because it deals with racial issues at the time. However, the film fared poorly at the box office and has yet to see a DVD release (For shame Warner Bros. Oh well, I least I still have a VCR to watch it). This film is definitely a cult classic of animation that I highly recommend.
August 3, 2011
Really a good flick to watch, I enjoy it every time I watch it.
June 28, 2011
Some parts are kinda weird and unexplained, but as a whole I found it visually stylish by its abstract look of 50s culture. Check it out if you love animation.
June 20, 2011
Though, I usually watched family-oriented animated films; but I guess, I am like wholesome vs taboo. I first encountered Ralph Bakshi's films when I was a teenager - I don't know how old. I started with "The Lord of The Rings;" then "Wizards," that film became my favorite Bakshi film. And then I watched on YouTube : "Fire & Ice," "Cool World" (live action/animated), "Heavy Traffic," and this film "Hey Good Lookin.'"

Well anyway, this film takes on a gritty,outrageous look at the Eisenhower era in Brooklyn, New York (the 1950s). And also about gang-leader Vinnie, his gang called the Stompers, his sexy girl Roz, his friend Crazy Shapiro; also, the all-out rumble with the black rival gang called the Chaplins.

I love the scene where we first meet Roz, it has a great homage to Tex Avery's "Red Hot Riding Hood" cartoons. I also love the part where Vinny screamed at the corpse buried in the sand, and all the Sicillians that are on the beach, dogpiled and beat up Shapiro (*LOL*) - that guy is TOO MUCH!
May 6, 2011
Some really great stuff in here but I would have liked to see the original hybrid live action/animation version that was finished first before the studio shelved it, forcing Bakshi to redo most of the film as straight animation.
November 22, 2010
Revives the spirit of Bakshi's early films.
November 21, 2010
This was a strange, but great animated movie. The animation and the soundtrack was great. The movie also has a nice 50's feel to it. But the movie is very boring and it just show's the main character's hanging out with their girlfreinds and also trying to stay out of trouble. But overall, if you're a Ralph Bakshi fan or looking for a good animated movie to watch, "Hey Good Lookin'" is worth giving a try.

4/5
½ November 16, 2010
A Ralph Bakshi animation film about rivalry gangs.
July 25, 2010
This movie is not all as great as some of Ralph's earlier work. But the animation is decent enought to look at. But other than that its not that great.
½ April 16, 2010
I hope to see it out on DVD soon.
April 11, 2010
This film features some of the most memorable characters and dialogue in Bakshi's filmography. Again, he presents us with an evocative, hilarious, disturbing and unique vision. This is one of his most beautifully animated films, and it is insanely entertaining.
September 23, 2009
Not Bakshi's best, but enjoyable especially for Bakshi fans...
½ September 11, 2009
It had ups and downs, Like it takes place in the 50's and there is 80's rock and roll wtf?