Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger Reviews

January 20, 2015
A much stronger film than critic reviews here indicate. Well-delivered, quirky, and occasionally dark humor make this a notable effort.
September 5, 2013
Slow to get into, and not overy realistic, but it is quite a sweet film. If you're looking for a more realistic bullied teen film, I would recommend Welcome to the Dollhouse. I just didn't buy that the "cool" girl would find this kid amusing and take her under her wing as she does.
*********i just rewatched this a few years later. Actually, I picked up an ex rental for $2. What can I say, I'll be donating it back to the Sammy's shortly.
Original review stands, yes, it is sweet, and the cast are good, but it's wholly unconvincing, more so the second time around, and if I never have to hear that Blueberger "poem" - not once, but twice - I will be quite happy. It really is ridiculous and makes Esther seem like she is special needs. Yet we are supposed to think the cool kids admire that. Yeah right.
May 11, 2013
Cute story idea; needs a sever editor with scissors.
½ February 6, 2013
An interesting Australian attempt at the female coming of age story, not often attempted or so successfully pulled of as here in Esther Blueburger. This is thanks mostly to the charming Danielle Catanzariti, and also to the great supporting cast. This movie stands out because it is, and its characters are, a little bit unconventional. Worth checking out for something completely different.
January 19, 2013
I liked it quite a bit, though I wish it would have tied up some of the loose strings better and wouldn't of jumped around so much. On that note...I've never cried so hard for a duck in my life.
½ November 6, 2012
If you're sick of Hollywood teen movies that can't see past the end of their next tube of lip gloss, this Aussie alternative is well worth checking out. Always the drama is tempered with an equal measure of off-center humor that keeps things crackling. Appearances by Toni Collette and Whale Rider's Keisha Castle-Hughes should draw a few curious parents to what is, most of the time, a quirky and quite enjoyable coming of age saga. Randall creates a tangible contrast between Esther and Sunni's world. There's a lack of communication in Esther's dysfunctional family life (Essie Davis and Russell Dykstra are intentionally stilted and aloof as her appearance-conscious parents), while Sunni's mum Mary (Toni Collette) is spontaneous and warm as the hip, strip-club pole dancer. As surely as the balance tilts on a see-saw, so does Esther and Sunni's behaviour. At 103 minutes, the film would benefit by a little nip, but overall it's a sweet encounter and one that is as unexpected as the film's title.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
June 15, 2012
i luv this movie so much but i dont own it
May 12, 2012
this is the best movie of all time. how do you people not see the genius-ness in this movie?
April 22, 2012
one of the best I have seen this year.
½ January 1, 2012
better than expected, but kiesha castle hughes haircut was worse than expected.
½ December 9, 2011
Disjointed at times, but some great moments in this story of a private school girl who doesn't fit in.
½ November 14, 2011
Esther Blueberger is an outcast in her posh private school. But everything changes when she meets Sunni, a student of another public school, and she then starts secretly going to Sunni's school.

Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger is a typical coming-of-age film. It starts a bit slow until Keshia Castle-Hughes (as Sunni) comes up and fills the entire movie with her charisma.
This film is pretty fun to watch and has lots of quirky humor (with several wtf-moments where i just don't get it). I specifically remember one scene, though, very early in the film when the school girls are dancing in the school yard. I thought it was very cool and I like it very much.

It's a quirky film about a quirky girl, and it has a lot of heart. Definitely one of the better movie about teenagers.
November 7, 2011
I ended up really loving this one by the end. It has it's slow moments and times where not much is happening, but so is real life in ways which made this film a bit more realistic than most in this genre. It is a great coming of age story and I'd say that the lead here, Danielle Catanzariti, is one upcoming actress to watch out for. She is brilliant in the role of Esther Blueburger here, and I can say that I don't think she broke character once. The story itself is not as fluffy as one might assume from the preview here. It does have it's dark moments as well as heartfelt ones. It's also quite hilarious at time as well. This is one not to be missed for any fan of the genre or just good film making in general.
½ October 7, 2011
I teared up when she found her dead duck. :(
September 21, 2011
Llindo filme sobre escolhas, identidade e bullying, recomendo a quem quer deixar de viver de aparencias
August 18, 2011
Toni Collette fans, you have to see this one. Hey, Hey It's Ester Blueburger was a very small release but I had to give it a shot when I saw the Whale Rider girl in it. Little did I know I was picking up a movie that would make me feel for once. Say a less funny/more serious british version of Mean Girls. This flick is one I recommend to people all the time. Hey Hey!
July 21, 2011
Very sweet, but very slow getting into.
½ April 24, 2011
Weird but not a bad movie.
½ April 12, 2011
Esther Blueberger is a simple coming-of-age film. It is from the perspective of young Esther Blueberger, the unpopular outcast of her private school, who decides to change things and, with the help of her new friend Sunni, starts going to the public school.

Not quantum mechanics or anything, but it is a terrifically made film, that covers the early teenage years where we all decide we want to be cool pretty damn well. I enjoyed watching it, more the second half than the first half.

The acting is terrific. Finding teenagers who can act is sometimes a hard thing for films, and it is quite often were these sort of films fall short, but this film managed with some amazing young talent, especially Sunni, played by that girl from Whale Rider. Keisha something...

It is heartfelt and honest with its material, which includes common reasons for teen angst such as peer pressure and parent issues, but doesn't turn it into a sexed or drugged up peep show. It actually dulls some of the events a bit, probably to make it better suited towards earlier teen, or maybe even preteen.

A great film, keeps me entertained when this sort of film generally bores me, definitely re-watchable, which isn't something I often say.

My Rating: 70%
Standardised: 50%
March 31, 2011
A funny coming of age film. Those Aussies know how to make comedies.