Hey Ram - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hey Ram Reviews

July 15, 2014
Always great to see SRK act. Even in a limited role, he is phenomenal and is capable of completely driving a story forward.
March 15, 2013
Best film ever made in world cinema!
½ July 1, 2012
An experiment with truth.
December 27, 2011
Kamal Haasan's body of works can be broadly divided into two categories- Hey Ram and non Hey Ram. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words, and a film is worth a 1000 pictures. I say a movie like Hey Ram is worth a 1000 films. This film depicts the culture of India like no other, which ranges from traditional Iyengar, Bengali and Marathi to conventional British and Gandhian.

Not a single scene, line or character is wasted in this film. Being a period film, art direction becomes critical for description of the story. Right from the old Pears calendar in Birla House to the British cement advertisement in Calcutta, from the Tanjore paintings in Srirangam to the vehicles and instruments in the cities, not one object or concept is out of place! Many films fail here, including Lagaan which had 6 balls bowled per over instead of 9.

With an cast of India's finest actors Like Kamal Haasan, Naseeruddin Shah, Girish Karnad, Om Puri, Hema Malini, Rani Mukherjee, Atul Kulkarni and Shah Rukh Khan, one cannot complain about the performances. Perhaps the biggest asset to the film is its refusal to employ black and white characterization. Not one character in this epic is projected as an all good person and everyone has their own selfish reasons in life!
August 11, 2011
excellent work from kamal
July 9, 2011
One of the best movies i have ever seen !!
½ June 7, 2011
Hey Ram is one of my favorite films out of India, even with it's many flaws. Kamal Hassan is tremendous! I really loved the dream sequences through out the film. The film does become preachy and is too long. The present day scenes are not necessary. Worth the watch!
April 27, 2011
An amazing and important story destroyed by self obsession, needlessly lengthy duration and strange South Indian fixation with special effects.
½ December 8, 2010
Kamal Hassan is genious. brilliant cast. greatly written.
iLeo
November 7, 2010
An interesting movie that follows one man's grief in losing his wife and embarking on a path set upon anger, revenge, and hatred.
Great cast- Atul Kulkarni, Vasundhara Das, Om Puri, Kamal Hassan, Hema Malini, Naseeruddin Shah, Girish Karnad, Rani Mukherjee, and Shahrukh Khan. Worthy!
October 10, 2010
HEY RAM (2000) - very gripping historical thriller. More an art house film than the typical Bollywood movie. Very thought provoking - taking a seriously raw look at violence, political strife and religious tolerance. VERY good film.
½ September 28, 2010
A movie abot Gandhiji, but from the perspective of the common, breaks many myhts
August 8, 2010
MINDBENDER!
I have No Guts To Comment Either.
A Must Watch...
October 29, 2009
It's 1946 and Indian independence is at hand when HEY RAM begins and we meet 3 friends, Saket Ram (Kamal Hassan) a Hindu, another Hindu friend Lalwani, and their mutual Muslim friend Amjad played by Shah Rukh Khan. At first it seems as if we're going to see just another Bollywood flick as the 3 launch into a giddy, drunken musical number. But the tone of the film turns on a dime when Saket Ram returns home to Calcutta the very day the violent riots between Hindus and Muslims break out. Tragically his beloved young wife Aparna (Rani Mukherjee) is gang raped and murdered and Saket himself is swept up in the murderous mobs seeking retribution. He finds himself both witnessing and committing unthinkable acts. That night is a kaliedoscope of depravity, and after experiencing a blood soaked old Muslim man mistake him for an angel sent to save him, and the old man's blind grand daughter groping her way toward her own death, he can take no more and staggers back to his apartment and his slaughtered wife. But even at his own doorstep there is one more horror--a sacred white elephant standing, swaying, over its lifeless mahout. Before reaching that point there was one other encounter for Saket Ram, and it was a life changing one. He met a wild eyed rebel Sriram Abhyankar (Atul Kulkarni) It's Sriram who first planted the evil, logical notion in Saket's grief stricken brain that the cause of all this death and chaos was one man, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi--The Mahatma. It was he who betrayed his own country and his own religion, and if things were ever to be right again, he must die. I almost turned this off when I realized that I was watching a film that potentially dealt with the life of the man who had assassinated the Mahatma, but I didn't and I'm glad of it. Although the film is painfully slow, it is well worth watching.
September 16, 2009
An epic film!!! Kamal Hassan's trademark is all over the movie..
August 16, 2009
Foarte frumos filmul
August 1, 2009
A top clz movie.............
June 4, 2009
cannot be understood by small brains of earth..a class movie
½ May 13, 2009
hey also same kamalhassan film
April 5, 2009
Hey Ram! was supposedly Gandhi's last words. Now, some researchers say that Gandhi never uttered those words, even though he may have intended to. Ironically, the man who shot Gandhi was a Ram, as in Nathu'Ram' Godse. In the movie, we have two other 'Rams' trying to do the same ?? Sri'Ram' Abhyankar and Saket 'Ram'. Gandhi is not shown uttering Hey Ram! before his death in this movie. So, the title's significance is open to interpretation and discussion, as is the rest of the movie.
The technical stuff is excellent. The set designs and costumes are worthy of a period piece and the attention to detail is brilliant. Sarika, Kamal's 'research-assistant' has surely done her homework. Hey Ram! demands multiple viewing to appreciate the amount of hard work and preparation gone into the production.